What Are The Speed Limits In Thailand?

rene123

First rule in Asia during a police stop:

Always remove your key and put it in your pocket right away as the first thing. Your key in the hands of police means you will pay some good amount or you wait a good amount or they can take your key to police station if they get angry and leave you in the sidewalk with your expensive bike-weight.

And strange to get searched that heavy. I am sure just to make you scared and nervous so they can get 400 thb easily.

Never get stopped by police regarding speeding on a bike.

Anyway, 400 baht is nothing if you compare with out countries, right?

They were quite aggressive at first, much nicer when they saw farang, and downright cheery when they saw I was a fisherman. Polite enough officers at that stop, but all the local bikes were being searched so they just didn't want me to feel left out - one day ride to Bangkok and it was getting late. I had known what part of the Kawasaki key to file down so you can remove it with out shutting down the engine, but never did. And yes, here now that could be a 22,000 Baht fine with chance of bike seizure and points against your licence.

A search, of our gear, happened once when ridding with a friend, near the border, on a really remote road when searching river access for fishing near the Burma border. In that case when they jumped out of the woods, the lead officers hand was on his gun (no thought of running that police stop for me). Again when they saw one farang they relaxed tremendously.

If you have a Garmin GPS they always say speed limit is 110 on most roads, when it is either 89 - 90. ( Garmin is incorrect )

I disagree. Why do you say Garmin is incorrect? How do you define “most roads” – if simply by the majority of surfaced roads in Thailand then I agree, as would Garmin, but if you are referring to trunk roads such as the Asian Highway then I can tell you that they are 110 kph except where marked to the contrary. It is because people see occasional signs limiting the speed to 90 (normally at bridges, bends, city limits) that they assume the entire stretch must be 90 but that is not the case.

• 8 months later...

First rule in Asia during a police stop:

Always remove your key and put it in your pocket right away as the first thing. Your key in the hands of police means you will pay some good amount or you wait a good amount or they can take your key to police station if they get angry and leave you in the sidewalk with your expensive bike-weight.

And strange to get searched that heavy. I am sure just to make you scared and nervous so they can get 400 thb easily.

Never get stopped by police regarding speeding on a bike.

Anyway, 400 baht is nothing if you compare with out countries, right?

They were quite aggressive at first, much nicer when they saw farang, and downright cheery when they saw I was a fisherman. Polite enough officers at that stop, but all the local bikes were being searched so they just didn't want me to feel left out - one day ride to Bangkok and it was getting late. I had known what part of the Kawasaki key to file down so you can remove it with out shutting down the engine, but never did. And yes, here now that could be a 22,000 Baht fine with chance of bike seizure and points against your licence.

A search, of our gear, happened once when ridding with a friend, near the border, on a really remote road when searching river access for fishing near the Burma border. In that case when they jumped out of the woods, the lead officers hand was on his gun (no thought of running that police stop for me). Again when they saw one farang they relaxed tremendously.

"I had known what part of the Kawasaki key to file down so you can remove it with out shutting down the engine, but never did. And yes, here now that could be a 22,000 Baht fine with chance of bike seizure and points against your licence." Run that past me again with a bit more detail. 22000 baht fine for filing your key! blink.png

"The outer ring-road is 120 except where otherwise marked; the main highways outside Bangkok (the Asian Highway or AH routes) are 110 except where otherwise marked.

Bit late here as I only read this today! But I had to laugh. I was on the outer ring road on Saturday morning and was lucky if I could do 60 let alone the supposed 120!

Driving to Bangkok from Chiang Mai about a month ago was stopped at a check point along with several other cars. The cop comes up and says hehehehe speed limit in Thailand 120kph you go 134kph, I look away and say to my self heheheeh I was going 140kph. Ok what we have to do to take care. he says 100baht hehehehe I already had 200 in my pocket handed it to him and he hands my drivers licenses back and say hehehehehe speed limit in Thailand 120kph. I hit the gas and am gone, the little laff from him actually happened.

Driving to Bangkok from Chiang Mai about a month ago was stopped at a check point along with several other cars. The cop comes up and says hehehehe speed limit in Thailand 120kph you go 134kph, I look away and say to my self heheheeh I was going 140kph. Ok what we have to do to take care. he says 100baht hehehehe I already had 200 in my pocket handed it to him and he hands my drivers licenses back and say hehehehehe speed limit in Thailand 120kph. I hit the gas and am gone, the little laff from him actually happened.

hehehe thats speedo indicated.

sorry, i had too giggle.gif

The Minburi police once told me the speed limit in town is 80 for cars, 60 for motorcycles. A little perplexed by that one blink.png

This wasn't even at a traffic stop (I was there teaching English at the police station), so it's not like they were trying to shake me down at the time.

"The outer ring-road is 120 except where otherwise marked; the main highways outside Bangkok (the Asian Highway or AH routes) are 110 except where otherwise marked.

Bit late here as I only read this today! But I had to laugh. I was on the outer ring road on Saturday morning and was lucky if I could do 60 let alone the supposed 120!

Also drove on the eastern outer ring road today and was luck to get out of first gear!

Not sure about limits but been overtaken by Toyota minivans going at least Mach 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Superb.

They do don't they. My business partner believes its because they've all been driving 125 scooteys all their lives and are overwhelmed by the power of these commuter vans. Are they 3.0 Litre turbo ???

I always wondered about the speed limit for bikes too. I occasionally take the odd potter from Phuket to Krabi with some like minded pals and have hit up to around 200 on the straights with no U-turns. Boys and toys and all that. I wonder what the fine would be if any of us were caught, actually I wonder what the rozzers could use to catch us anyway, I'm not sure if a DMAX or 125cc Scoopy would be up to it !!! Maybe a Toyota Minivan slowing down from light speed !!

SDM

Superb. 

They do don't they. My business partner believes its because they've all been driving 125 scooteys all their lives and are overwhelmed by the power of these commuter vans. Are they 3.0 Litre turbo ???

SDM

I never mentioned the Bangkok to Chiang Mai overnight coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I never mentioned the Bangkok to Chiang Mai overnight coaches.

Never seen one of those bad boys but I once did try to keep up with a night bus running between Nakornsithamarat and Phuket. I'm no stranger to speed but I really didn't have the balls to match it.

SDM

• Like 1

hehehe thats speedo indicated.

sorry, i had too giggle.gif

I covered that the speedo said 150