21 Questions

magenta_heart

Hello Folks, will be in Thailand in a few weeks and just wanted to see if you could answer some of my questions. Don't feel obligated to answer all of them. Any valuable information is apprecaited. Try to keep the wise cracks and unrelated comments to a minimum please. Thanks

1. How much is cheap Mexican food?

2. How much do tortillas cost at the supermarket?

3. How much does a guitar cost?

4. What do you consider a good salary for a foreigner. Ie: “anything above. . . . “

5. Is Gatorade sold in Thailand?

6. Can I find an apartment complex with a descent gym? How much would that cost?

7. How much is a membership to a gym?

8. Can I buy a juicer there?

9. Can I eat well on 300baht a day? If not, how much?

10. Is tap water “legally” safe to drink?

11. How much does a cheap mountain bike cost?

12. What are the chances the mountain bike will get stolen within a month?

13. How many times has your house been broken into?

14. What is the worst thing about living in Bangkok in your opinion?

15. Is green tea sold in supermarkets?

16. How much does a lap top run?

17. How much is an internet provider and installation?

18. Is there a Thai (language) proficiency examination?

19. Do I need a permanent address in order to get a cell phone?

20. Can you do text messaging with cell phones there?

21. How much does it cost to rent a computer?

2. How much do tortillas cost at the supermarket? Depends which supermarket

4. What do you consider a good salary for a foreigner. Ie: “anything above. . . . “ B250,000 per month

5. Is Gatorade sold in Thailand? Yes - in the Foodland chain for sure.

6. Can I find an apartment complex with a descent gym? How much would that cost? - Yes - rates vary a lot

8. Can I buy a juicer there? Do you mean a blender? If so, yes in deparment stores

9. Can I eat well on 300baht a day? If not, how much? Yes, depending on your food taste. But not Farang food for every meal.

10. Is tap water “legally” safe to drink? Safe, but too much chlorine to stomach - use bottled water.

13. How many times has your house been broken into? Never

14. What is the worst thing about living in Bangkok in your opinion? Traffic

15. Is green tea sold in supermarkets? More brands than you can ever think of

16. How much does a lap top run? About $750-$4000

17. How much is an internet provider and installation? Varies. Depends on the service plan. I get 100 hours a month for B900. You can get cheaper service...between 4-8 baht per hour.

18. Is there a Thai (language) proficiency examination? Yes. Usually through a language school. Try the YWCA Nisa Language school

19. Do I need a permanent address in order to get a cell phone? No not if you use a prepaid phone.

20. Can you do text messaging with cell phones there? Yes

21. How much does it cost to rent a computer? Hard to find rentals.

1. How much is cheap Mexican food? Thai food nicer and hotter

2. How much do tortillas cost at the supermarket? who cares

3. How much does a guitar cost? similiar price to your country

4. What do you consider a good salary for a foreigner. Ie: “anything above. . . . “50+

5. Is Gatorade sold in Thailand? yes

6. Can I find an apartment complex with a descent gym? How much would that cost? yes about 15000 month

7. How much is a membership to a gym? 1000 baht month

8. Can I buy a juicer there? yes 2000 baht

9. Can I eat well on 300baht a day? If not, how much? yes very well

10. Is tap water “legally” safe to drink? in Phuket they say yes - but I wouldnt - 10 baht for a big 10 litres

11. How much does a cheap mountain bike cost? -300o baht at lotus

12. What are the chances the mountain bike will get stolen within a month? slim

13. How many times has your house been broken into? never

14. What is the worst thing about living in Bangkok in your opinion? traffic/smog

15. Is green tea sold in supermarkets? yes

16. How much does a lap top run? about 2 kms

17. How much is an internet provider and installation? webkit=650 baht=50 hours

18. Is there a Thai (language) proficiency examination? no

19. Do I need a permanent address in order to get a cell phone? no

20. Can you do text messaging with cell phones there? yes

21. How much does it cost to rent a computer? cheaper to buy one - only 10000 baht for a basic system - 3000 baht for an old 500

MAGENTA;so was the JUDGE,,but I think that Tom Yam Gung is more on the order of Pozole. without the hominy.

And if you are looking for Mex food and tortillas,you are going the wrong way,you should be going to Mexico.as I have never heard of it here,all they have here is Thai food,which is basically LAO food and not that good to eat and about as clean as Mex food shops are in Mexico,maybe not.

If you want a real treat while here,go to I T's house,he has Ozzie BBQ Soi Dog.

(caughtintheact) 4. What do you consider a good salary for a foreigner. Ie: “anything above. . . . “ B250,000 per month

what!! you somekind of CEO or president of a company or something,

the gentleman sound just about right.

CHINGY;Isn't the new minimum wage for americans going to be 60,000,,so it will have to be at least that much. and I think for Brits was 40,000,,and if the dude hung up on mex chuck he must be a texan,which I believe is in the USA,even if they don't think so. :o

Hello Folks, will be in Thailand in a few weeks and just wanted to see if you could answer some of my questions. Don't feel obligated to answer all of them. Any valuable information is apprecaited. Try to keep the wise cracks and unrelated comments to a minimum please. Thanks

2. How much do tortillas cost at the supermarket?

Hehehehehehhee.......you need to be heading south and not East my friend. I dont believe I have ever seen tortillas for sale at a supermarket here. The only thing I have seen is a box of hard Taco shells made by Ortega or somebody like that. Good luck here if your pre-occupied with Hispanic food.

FOODLAND to the rescue!

They have great pre-made tortillas, burritos & chimichangas. Just toss 'em in the microwave for a minute & you're chowing down. They come with a packet of salsa & they're not bad either. Look for them in the produce section near the cheese. My Thai wife loves 'em.

I think they're around 50 baht for a pack of 4.

They also have the plain tortilla & burrito bread.

FYI Magenta, Foodland is a grocery store chain here. They also have some of the best steaks around.

Now, does anybody know where I can find pizza crust?

2. How much do tortillas cost at the supermarket? Looking for a mexican restaurant

4. What do you consider a good salary for a foreigner. Ie: ?anything above. . . . ? Check the visitor's manual. You are supposed to bring the money with you...

5. Is Gatorade sold in Thailand?

6. Can I find an apartment complex with a descent gym? How much would that cost?

8. Can I buy a juicer there?

9. Can I eat well on 300baht a day? If not, how much?

10. Is tap water ?legally? safe to drink? If you are from Mexico you can probably drink it without fear, though you might wonder why it is so clear :o

13. How many times has your house been broken into? Never

14. What is the worst thing about living in Bangkok in your opinion? Laws are more like oprional guideline tha rules, although if you are from Mexico you should be used to that.

15. Is green tea sold in supermarkets?

16. How much does a lap top run?

17. How much is an internet provider and installation? Get the cheapest dial up you can find. bandwidth here is a national treasure, and regardles the price you pay, it sux

18. Is there a Thai (language) proficiency examination? Yes, every time you leave your home.

19. Do I need a permanent address in order to get a cell phone?

20. Can you do text messaging with cell phones there?

21. How much does it cost to rent a computer?

You forgot to ask about beer, unless question 14. There is no good Thai beer, unless you need a paint stripper.

What's all this then? Are you coming or no? I can't believe that the answer to any of these questions would materially influence a decision to come. OK, maybe if you were coming from France. But Mexico? Thailand is moving up compared to Mexico :D

Cheers

shee-it...21 questions is constricting...you need 12 at least for the corn tortilla issue alone. See my reply to the 'where is a good mexican food retaurant?' elsewhere.

Mexican street food if surveyed on a per tourist basis would beat the rest of the world hands down. It ain't too clean and disrupts sex in the afternoon with violent vomiting but sure does taste good.

In Mexico City you got to distinguish gastro-enteritis from the bad hangovers that occur at high altitude.

Ain't no way to compare Mexican street food to the cat scraps that's sold on the street in Bangkok. Plus Mexico DF has got the anthropological museum that you can get lost in for a week. You show me a place in BKK that merits more than a yawn.

(yeah...so why don't I go live there?...'gabacho sucio, hijo de la gran puta!!!')

Guest IT Manager
MAGENTA;so was the JUDGE,,but I think that Tom Yam Gung is more on the order of Pozole. without the hominy.

And if you are looking for Mex food and tortillas,you are going the wrong way,you should be going to Mexico.as I have never heard of it here,all they have here is Thai food,which is basically LAO food and not that good to eat and about as clean as Mex food shops are in Mexico,maybe not.

If you want a real treat while here,go to I T's house,he has Ozzie BBQ Soi Dog.

I thought we weren't talking Kevin, after my kid set your wifes' dog up for grilling. You're right though. It was delicious.