Thailand Patents?

Preface: I know about various intellectual property rights violations in Thailand and request that those issues not be discussed in this thread.

I got to thinking about something today and a few questions popped into my head. This is not about copyright.

1 - Is it possible to get a patent issued in Thailand?

2 - If a patent is issued here will it be recognized internationally, and can it be enforced internationally?

3 - I presume that international enforcement outside Thailand would be extremely expensive, but how about violations that extend into Thailand?

1. Yes, Thailand has a patent law and a Patent Office.

2. No. Patents, as a rule, are only valid in the country, which issues the patent.

But after filing the patent application, you have a 12 months period, during which you can file the same application in other

countries of your choice, without risking that other applications filed there meanwhile will destroy the novelty of your invention

(claim the priority of your first application in Thailand).

3. Indeed, enforcement outside the country which has granted the patent is basically impossible.

I guess you can answer yourself the question how good Thailand enforced industrial property rights. But it is up to

the patent owner to find a potential infringer and sue him.