Why Do Westerners End English Sentences With Thai Words

muythai2013

As the title says, whats the story.

eg, "my wife is turning me into a ting tong".

Why not just say she is making me crazy, mostly i'm just curious what the reason is for the mix.

Nothing more annoying then walking up to another westerner and hearing Sawadee Krup and then both proceeding to speak English.

• Like 1

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Nothing more annoying then walking up to another westerner and hearing Sawadee Krup and then both proceeding to speak English."

Does it also annoy you when Thais answer their telephone with "Hello" and then proceed to speak Thai ?

my wife doesn't do that anyway, because that annoys her, she hates when Thai people start throwing English words in.

Can you tell me the purpose of it, it's ego based isn't it, trying to show every chance you get that you know a few little words, 4 or 5 words being said again and again every chance they get.

To answer the question, yes Hello annoys me, you thought you were on to something then didn't you but in the end .....

Edited by muythai2013

On the other hand, there is always a specific "spice" to certain words or terms, i.e. "ting tong" doesn't equal crazy, and it brings a very specific mental picture, at least to someone, who knows what's being said. One wouldn't use "ting tong" to describe a raging 6 feet tall bald and all tattoed footie fan aboot tae break somebody's head in...

I'm however trying to keep languages separate, Thai, English and a couple of others, which I have to use on daily basis.

I second that completely.

In my expirience it also helps to start with local salutation if you are not prficient in the language. Try speaking English to a French person. It goes much better if you start with "bonjour".

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

To answer the question, yes Hello annoys me, you thought you were on to something then didn't you but in the end .....

Not really, just curious how many other utterly trivial things annoy you.

being honest, something that is quite rare, I would say as much trivial things annoy me as they do you and the other guys that pressed like.

I just admit it unlike you guys, does my trivial post annoy you all.

If its for the purpose of conveying something that does not translate well then how do 2 westerners using English only, manage it.

2 westerners don'y need 2 languages to convey a message, but if a word is thrown in that will better suit the moment i can understand that.

I am mainly talking about 2 westerners talking, and someone starts talking about his little te rak, I can assure you we have words in english to equally convey that message.

Edited by metisdead
: Arial Font, Size 14.

ending "na" with every sentence because they think its cute, particularly when writing. See this on facebook for example. Some farang guys replies along the lines of "how are you today na?"

LOL

Talk about sentences, I end some of my days with na - at nana. :lol:

• Like 2

ending "na" with every sentence because they think its cute, particularly when writing. See this on facebook for example. Some farang guys replies along the lines of "how are you today na?"

LOL

I also think its equally obnoxious when orientals put ka or kop after thank you

I feel the need to remind the males that i am not a police officer

• Like 1