Is A Divorce In The Uk To A Thai National Recognised In Thailand

CD1972

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me with this. I am British and I married a thai national in Thailand in 2002. At the time we did all the necessary paperwork in the British embassy in Bangkok to get the marriage recognised in the UK.11 years down the line I am living in the Uk and in the process of divorcing my thai husband through the UK divorce system. He was in the Uk until recently, so has signed all the documents needed for the divorce to go ahead here.

My question is...is this divorce recognised in Thailand?. My soon to be ex husband is telling me I need to go to Bangkok, to where we got married and sign the paperwork so that the divorce is also recognised there. He is being quite difficult regarding this matter and says unless I do he wont give me my share of the property we have in Thailand which is, in his name only.

I have looked at the thai embassy website on this matter, but as its written in Thai, I can't understand it. my solicitor doesn't know the answer, but thinks it is recognised in Thailand. Does anyone out there in cyber world know how to get the divorce recognised in Thailand, so my ex is free to marry again in the future if he wants to. I feel its totally rediculous for me to have to pay to take me and our 2 kids to Thailand to sign the divorce papers there. Thanks for any advise you may leave to help me.

Yes, a UK divorce is recognised by Thailand.

You could notify the Thai embassy of the divorce, there should be some information on their website. But he can definetly have the divorce decree legalised by the UK-ambassy in Thailand, have it translated into Thai and certified by the Thai Foreign Ministry and with that have the divorce recorded at the amphur. (basically the same as when getting married).

No need for you to go to Thailand.

If you feel you are entitled to a share of property in Thailand I suggest you consult a lawyer there.

Otherwise you run the risk of him taking your paperwork and making sure you get bugger all.

Oh, and be wary of him using the kids as a pawn. Once they're in Thailand they can be spirited away to the middle of nowhere.

This kind of blackmail has been used by Thais many times before, even in defiance of a court order.

Edited by Chicog

Thanks for your replies. I'm glad to hear he can sort the paperwork out in Thailand for the divorce. One less thing for me to do.

As for the property, I will just wait and see. In fairness to my ex, he does give me the rental money from the property every month, so I will wait and hope he does the right thing once he's gone and sorted out the paperwork in Thailand himself. Bottom line is if I walk away with nothing, I have everything as my children are with me. But..... He has mentioned wanting to take the kids to Thailand.i am aware of abduction possibilities, but deep down don't believe he would do that as our son needs further heart surgery in a few years time and its expensive in Thailand. We also actually still get on most of the time. He lives between england and thailand and has them at weekends when he is not working and is in the uk. Anyone been in a similar situation. I know I would be anxious to let him take them to Thailand, but it's also important for my kids to keep in touch with their family there and culture.