Map Of Chiang Mai Neighbourhoods?

Celcius

Google!

Did you fall into a worm-hole from 1995? smile.png

http://maps.google.com

Zoomable, satellite view, street view, directions, English or Thai, and shows districts.

Or are you not looking for a map, but an illustration for a website or paper or something? Purpose would be helpful.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

Yeah, you're right. I am looking more of a version of the map about, but instead of from 1995 but the 2013 version. A web 2.0 if you will - hahaha (going to go kill myself now)

I have this Google Map image I made, but I feel it doesn't give the full detail. Just checking to see if someone knew of thing better. It can be hard to know what area someone is talking about. Looking for a kind of reference sheet.

post-58494-0-67563800-1361168186_thumb.j

Edited by angiud
Map resized

If you want a hard copy map; I bought a handy one from DKbooks, which has a quite good detail of all the areas to a radius of hang dong/saraphi/san kam/san sai.

Its a great size to carry around, which I do, and on my travels colour in the nice areas where I would prefer to live in the future.

The smart phone, maps are simply too small and inpractical to see in the sunshine aswell as having no wifi connection whilst out on the roads.

• Like 1

WinnieTheKhwai said:

Did you fall into a worm-hole from 1995?

Yeah, if you want to be good and lost by all means use Google maps. For instance, look at the area east of Thipanet Road, in particular "See Ping Meuang", only half of it is there, and Sripingmuang Soi 4 is not in English and is a quick & easy route to the night market area.

• Like 1

A couple of good paper maps are Nancy Chandlers CM Map, great detail of the city and also G-T Rider map of the Samoeng loop.

Google is not your friend if he does not even put town names in, eg; North of Samoeng area and it is in Thai script anyway.

• Like 1

I'd love to find a way to walk from the Suan Dok hospital complex to the back end of Kad Suan Kaew or to Srithana condo without having to go along the outer moat road or Sirmanaklajarn. All these maps seem to show some road that are "close" to each other, but not totally connected.

in English:

see here

WinnieTheKhwai said:

Did you fall into a worm-hole from 1995?

Yeah, if you want to be good and lost by all means use Google maps. For instance, look at the area east of Thipanet Road, in particular "See Ping Meuang", only half of it is there, and Sripingmuang Soi 4 is not in English and is a quick & easy route to the night market area.

I'd love to find a way to walk from the Suan Dok hospital complex to the back end of Kad Suan Kaew or to Srithana condo without having to go along the outer moat road or Sirimangklajarn. All these maps seem to show some road that are "close" to each other, but not totally connected.

Hey Nancy. I've made my way quickly a few times from one of Sirimang 3, 5, or 7 thru to the back of the Lotus Pang Suan Kaew Parking lot, and then into the the little road that runs along the back of Kad Suan Kaew. It's been a couple yrs though since I've done that little trick so I can't give you much more info than that the routes exist. I have a feeling looking at G maps that you could catch that Sai Rd back of Maharaj and take that up to the juncture of the Nimm roads and the Lotus PSK parking lot I'm mentioning. It's all best explored by bicycle or motosai, for speed in checking and retracing if you come up with a dead end of course. Also, you've been here awhile, so I'm expecting you've got some basic Thai down now - at least enough to get you into trouble, yeah ? I always seem to get the clues I need by asking "Does this road go out to the big road" ? You can name Huay Kaew or BoonRuengrat and they should be able to tell you if it's a go or no-go. Keep us posted with your progress.

Thanks, Realthaideal. The map that CMSteve posted shows several possible routes, each with a "discontinuity". I know about getting into the Lotus Parking lot from the Sirimang sois -- there's a footpath worn into the grass that makes it possible. Sigh. I guess I'm just going to have to print out the google map and give it a go -- on foot, looking for other unpublish footpaths. No motorcycle for me! Yup, I know enough Thai to know not to ask directions -- Thai people will say what they think you want to hear in Thai just the way they do in English!

Better get going -- I don't want to make this hike in the heat!

A couple of good paper maps are Nancy Chandlers CM Map, great detail of the city and also G-T Rider map of the Samoeng loop.

Google is not your friend if he does not even put town names in, eg; North of Samoeng area and it is in Thai script anyway.

GT-Rider maps are great. UG sells them at his shops. Nancy Chandler map (to me) is like a map for 10 year old. I agree, google maps are often worthless. Sometimes they are O.K. I tried to use a google map in Lamphun last year and it was so far off and inaccurate it was ridiculous. Wasted almost an hour trying to get somewhere. Nothing like a good paper map (like GT-Rider).

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

Looks like Celcius needs a simple administrative map of the districts (amphoe) of Chiang Mai Province - one that displays major roadways and administrative boundaries within Chiang Mai Province, rather than "neighbourhoods" or a "bike trails" map. Do we agree?

• Like 1