S R T To Push Ahead 200 Billion Baht Makasan Complex Mega-Project

webfact

Oh, brilliant, Bangkok can do without improvements to basic public transportation what it desperately needs is more shopping centers. Specially in that spot, by gosh, can you imagine? There are no large shopping malls exactly at Petchbui MRT station, there's two at Rama IX (400 meters away) and I don''t know how many at Asoke. This must be fixed, stat, money is of no concern.

Maybe they should start by constructiog an underground walkway from the Airport Link station to the MRT station. Then it would really be a link as they so fondly call it.

They're currently building a walkway from the Asoke/Ratchada end of the platform, crossing over Asoke/Ratchada, across Kamphaengphet 7 (the road along the railway) and down to the MRT exit. It goes down the the exit opposite the one you would normally walk to, I imagine because there is some space there.

• Like 1

I wonder if the original plan remains? It shouldn't really burden the surrounding area.blink.png

Aug 19, 2005

Master Plan released today, waiting fro approval from the royal government board within 2 months from "to-day".

Consultants :

1. Thai Engineering Consultant

2. Design Concept co.,Ltd

Featuring :

1. Twin 99 Storey Towers : Bangkok Towers

2. 8,500 hotel rooms or will add more than 66% to the current rooms in Bangkok ; 470,100 Sq.M.

3. Office Space : 508,400 Sq.M.

4. Conventional Center : 897,800 Sq.M.

5. Exhibition Center : 1112,500 Sq.M.

6. Serviced Apartment : 5,300 Units ; 289,650 Sq.M. or 15% of the current demands.

7. 50 years Leased-hold Condominium : 8,600 Units : 390,375 Units or 17% of the date-market share demands.

Development Period : 5 Years

Total Development cost : 195,833,247,792 Baht

Seperated in 3 Phases, The Twin Towers will included in the 2nd phase.

cat2.jpg

Edited by dcutman

"The Makasan Complex project is a project to turn the area around Makasan train station into an important income source for the SRT"

Surely not the important benefit to the people...................if it's a government land they should not try to squeeze as much thai bath out of every sqm......we want to see urban planner to study the land and come up with the program..., not the bloody property management to make the most benefit out of it !!!!!!!!!!! High rise ...high rise.... Money....money

I wonder if the original plan remains? It shouldn't really burden the surrounding area.blink.png

Aug 19, 2005

Master Plan released today, waiting fro approval from the royal government board within 2 months from "to-day".

Consultants :

Featuring :

2. 8,500 hotel rooms or will add more than 66% to the current rooms in Bangkok ; 470,100 Sq.M.

6. Serviced Apartment : 5,300 Units ; 289,650 Sq.M. or 15% of the current demands.

7. 50 years Leased-hold Condominium : 8,600 Units : 390,375 Units or 17% of the date-market share demands.

cat2.jpg

Well the 5 year construction will do wonders for the traffic on Asoke....

Aug 19, 2005

Consultants :

Featuring :

cat2.jpg

OMG! can you even imagine. Perma parking lot.

Aug 19, 2005

Consultants :

Featuring :

cat2.jpg

OMG! can you even imagine. Perma parking lot.

If any of the governor candidates want a vote they should state that this project will never hapen. government land shouldn't be used for this.

Make it a park.

This plan terrifies me, it's just going to make this city more unlivable in. Everybody just wants to build offices, condos and shopping centres, but forget that people need to live here. Sadly it will almost certainly go ahead because financial gain rules. If I can sell my condo, I may very well leave. The traffic is already resembling pre-BTS standards, and the governor can't realistically do anything about it as he doesn't have the powers to change anything. The heart os going out of this city very fast.

• Like 1

One thing it's bound to bring - air-conditioned access from the underground station to the SRT.

And the other thing - PARKING...

And if they connect the parking structure to the expressway (or even just the elevated roads that are to the north of the trees currently, it may actually make Makasan easier to get to... (if you can get to the parking area WITHOUT going onto Asoke itself).

To be honest - there are far worse places to put a shopping mall than at a point where it connects from the underground to the airport link, especially with the airport link having become a fairly nice commuter line...

Add in that this must have been the plan all along - after all, without this, putting the express rail link to the airport at Makkasan, made no sense whatsoever.

Edited by bkk_mike

IDIOTS!!

All they need to do is put a stairway and escalator and small mezzanine on the eastern end of the platform, so you can get to the correct side of Petchaburi Rd.

Just got back from Costa Rica, where there is intelligence and social responsibility. They don't even have an army...and haven't since 1948!

Send the Thai government there for reeducation.

• Like 1

They can't even build a simple little train station with any degree of common sense...the mind boggles at the mess these people could produce at Makkasan.

Turn it over to the private sector and don't let the SRT idiots anywhere near it.

I haven't been down to that area of Bangkok in a long time... not sure where this Makasan area is.. could someone enlighten me?

It's an area between Petchaburi (south) and the expressway (Rama 9) (north), Asoke / Ratchada (east) and expressway (Pratunam) (west).

http://maps.google.com/?ll=13.75285,100.554836&spn=0.012026,0.021136&t=h&z=16

I haven't been down to that area of Bangkok in a long time... not sure where this Makasan area is.. could someone enlighten me?

It's an area between Petchaburi (south) and the expressway (Rama 9) (north), Asoke / Ratchada (east) and expressway (Pratunam) (west).

http://maps.google.c...021136&t=h&z=16

Oh yeah.. I see it... by the old Makasan railroad terminal...

I notice from the first plan that the Plaza entertainment complex might be making way for the World Kitchen mart.blink.png

Also the slum(?) on the opposite side of the road becomes a merchandise mart and convention centre.

And the slum on the corner of Petchaburi and Nana makes way for a school and a hotel.

Going to upset a few people before it's completed.

It is about high time that this SRT is privatised, so the future operator will hopefully be a little bit more careful on what and how they waste their funds.

Be careful what you wish for. Everywhere mass transit privatisation has been tried, it's failed. Thirty years ago, British people were throwing their toys out of their pram about British Rail. Fast forward to the early 21st Century and we see parts of the rail network being renationalised because of the astonishing greed and stupidity of private operators.

Happened in NZ as well the private Co promptly closed down anything that wasnt making a good profit, even riped up and sold the rails in places

Think the Govt paid 1$ for what was left when they eventually bought it back

Wondering where the cash comes from as they leased out the plot of Central Lad Prao and the Centara Hotel for a mere THB 8 million a year on a 30 year lease. Once that lease came up for extension .......... truth was spoken. As the hotel, the convention centre as well as the department store are still in operation they must have extended that sweet deal somehow to the liking of the Chirativaths family. Hence this 200 billion deal is not essentially financed with the rent income ...... but then again, I might be wrong!

Surely money would be better spent by the SRT building better rail infrastructure rather than shopping malls on their land to fill the pockets of greedy politicians and executives?

If the land is rented out then the income could and should be spent on improving the structure of the actual railway system.

It is about high time that this SRT is privatised, so the future operator will hopefully be a little bit more careful on what and how they waste their funds.

Be careful what you wish for. Everywhere mass transit privatisation has been tried, it's failed. Thirty years ago, British people were throwing their toys out of their pram about British Rail. Fast forward to the early 21st Century and we see parts of the rail network being renationalised because of the astonishing greed and stupidity of private operators.

Happened in NZ as well the private Co promptly closed down anything that wasnt making a good profit, even riped up and sold the rails in places

Think the Govt paid 1$ for what was left when they eventually bought it back

That won't happen in Britain. They're still pressing ahead with the insanity that is private rail and still paying a subsidy to those private companies of around £5bn a year. If they buy it back, it will mean more massive profits for the private sector.