What Would You Do With An Unexpected Fortune?

Jezz

Just for fun - repeat, just for fun - if you are a resident farang in Isaan, happy to be away from the hustle and bustle of western-style life or the beaches of south Thailand, what would you do if you found yourself with a massive fortune, putting you into the international multimillionaire ranks?

Me? As a guy entering my 'sunset years', I'd visit the remains of my family in the UK, help out financially where needed in their ranks, make sure my Thai family were looked after, then quickly move on to visit places in the world that still hold great fascination for me. Would I eventually return to live in Thailand? That's a tough question for an old-timer because I may have burnt myself out spending the hypothetical fortune! And I guess it depends on whether the wife came along with me or not. Just daydreaming.

Come on, guys. What would you do?

Well, I sure wouldn't waste time visiting "the remains" of my family, and can see absolutely no point spending money on dead people!!!

I have already visited everywhere in the world that I ever wanted to, so, I'd give it all away.

Believe me there is no joy being wealthy, it's better than being destitute, but being happy and content trumps all.

Well, I sure wouldn't waste time visiting "the remains" of my family, and can see absolutely no point spending money on dead people!!!

Should have said,'remaining family' - not dead remains! Thanks for your point of view.

@ Riley "there is no joy being wealthy" <deleted>?

Give me the fortune and I can guarantee you hands down that I can prove your statement absolutely wrong.

It would take too long long for me to tell you all the things I would do, but for sure "fun" would be a part of the equation.

Thanks for the daydream Jezz.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I would spend some on the family etc. making sure all are well. The majority I would actually spen on philantrophy. I would likely open a dive school for diabled or otherwise underprivilaged children, foc. I would open a restaurant employing less fortunate people and teach them how to make great meals. Stuff like that could help many and the great thing is, it does not need to be profitable. If it makes money, it can be invested in other businesses along the same line.

I might support some people with grrat ideas, sponsoring their research or business start up.

Stop dreaming.....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I have already visited everywhere in the world that I ever wanted to, so, I'd give it all away.

Believe me there is no joy being wealthy, it's better than being destitute, but being happy and content trumps all.

so true.

However a little can help make things easier....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I really don't know what I'd do with it. It depends on the amount involved.

I'd sort out the kids back home, even though they are old enough to be financially responsible for themselves. The future for working folk these days looks grim.

I'd give my wife at least as much as my kids for her future.

What's left over from that is my problem. There's nothing much that I need that I can't buy anyway. Perhaps I'd help or found a children's orphanage but the odds here are that someone would salt away the money.

• Like 1

I've been on 6 cruises. I think they're great. I run my own business and make my own schedule every day. I'm very busy. Whenever I travel, I'm the one that does all the planning. It's tiring. I really like the set itinerary on a cruise. No thinking required. I go where the ship takes me. No phone and little internet. I'm not a drinker or partier so a nice day at sea with nothing to do is a vacation.

I also enjoy the 28 hours it takes to get here on a plane. It's the most peaceful time I have.

My advice for travelers. Never book the cheapest cruise, plane ticket, or hotel.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Some say money doesn't buy you happiness. Bullshit, it buys all the happiness I need. I guess they could be talking about love but I don't care about that, I'm 49 and never married and no kids. I don't share the happiness of children but I don't share the heartache, nor do I want it. Not to mention the pain of having to give money to an ex.

But also, whilst money may not buy you happiness, the lack of it sure is 'inconvenient'.

What would I do? Well lets just imagine I was Bill Gates type rich. I would never give anything to charity, most of that money goes to admin staff and bugger all gets to who really needs it. They just pray on the children, animal, distressful thoughts campaign.

Hmmm, well of course I would give some to my parents and brothers and sisters etc. Make sure they are happy. Next I would just go to wherever I felt happy. A few months buy a secluded lake fishing and riding horses and camping out. A few weeks by a beach so that it reminded me why I prefer the country. A few weeks here and there where the fine women are found.

Even with all that money I still wouldn't drink in a place that I thought was taking advantage with high prices. I wouldn't pay over the price for meals. I wouldn't tip unless it was deserved, instead of put on the bill as a service charge.

But in all those places I'd visit I may run into people that are very nice and just need a leg up. So I'd be happy to pay for their further studies or a nice holiday for them. If I see peole that struggle but make a genuine attempt to make their life and their families life more tolerant then I'd be happy to give some to them to ease the pain. Probably not actual money but something to make life easier, maybe buy their 'cheap' house for them.

After all Bill Gates type rich is just way too much for me, I don't need all that. I just need a few nice beer bars, a few nice women.

Oh I forgot, I would poor a lot of money into a hangover cure. :)