Cops Bust Nigerian Fraudsters In Bangkok

webfact

Cops bust Nigerian fraudsters in Bangkok

By Coconuts Bangkok

bangkapi.png

Bangkok's Bang Kapi district

newsjsBANGKOK: -- Acting on warrants issued by a Chiang Mai court, police in Bangkok have arrested three Nigerian men and one Thai woman who were accused of running an online fraud scheme out of the Bang Kapi area of Bangkok.

The police claim the quartet had stolen a combined eight million baht from some 18 different women.

The (somewhat ingenious) scam that the group was perpetrating involved having the three Nigerian men pose as wealthy Americans or Europeans on online chat sites.

Under these pseudonyms, they would begin flirtatious relationships with women, then claim to have sent these women expensive gifts.

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...ers-in-bangkok/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2013-02-20

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ingenious?

8 Million baht from 18 people? I wouldn't argue with 'ingenious'. Clearly they're still evolving new 419's to replace the old "I am Ohmyfinga Ikidunot, son of the late King Footlong Ikidunot of Lower Evungatuk, and I have a proposal for you"...
  • Like 2

Ingenious?

8 Million baht from 18 people? I wouldn't argue with 'ingenious'. Clearly they're still evolving new 419's to replace the old "I am Ohmyfinga Ikidunot, son of the late King Footlong Ikidunot of Lower Evungatuk, and I have a proposal for you"...

Cryptic. What does this post mean?

Let's hope these scammers will regret their actions for at least the coming 10 years. It's a pity that one never reads anything about convictions, as a follow up to the many articles about arrests.

Yeh, very strange that. Perhaps money talks eh. coffee1.gif
  • Like 1

Ingenious?

Google 'Ebola Monkey Man: Nigerian 419 Scam' and it will make sense. wink.png

• Like 1

Ingenious?

I googled King Footlong Ikidunot of Lower Evungatuk and Ohmyfinga Ikidunot and found no matches. Then I googled Ebola Monkey man and found sites in regards to the ebola virus which I can't match to this topic so I just gave up trying to decify the cryptic clues. No time or patience.wai.gif cheers

Had a friend of mine phone me the day after valentines day asking if it was normal to pay 25000 For a parcel from England!! I said no, and after getting a bit more information from her I told her it was a scam.

Didn't stop her sister wanting to put up the money for the box. sad.png

There will always be someone led by greed to keep this scum in a job..

I googled King Footlong Ikidunot of Lower Evungatuk and Ohmyfinga Ikidunot and found no matches. Then I googled Ebola Monkey man and found sites in regards to the ebola virus which I can't match to this topic so I just gave up trying to decify the cryptic clues. No time or patience.wai.gif cheers

You took the names too literal, methinks.

• Like 1

Nigerian posing as Americans, scamming from Bkk..

This world has become a very small planet.

what the heck were they doing in Bkk anyways?

Its not like there's a large Nigerian population here they could blend into.

You need to get out more,try taking the canal boat from The Mall Bang Kapi at 5 in the evening, they are getting on an stops such as Wat Klang, Mahat Thai, Ram Uni etc etc, funny how they all get off at Nana soi 3, I dont think they are going to eat Nigerian food or go for a haircut.

Another hotbed of them is Pattanakarn soi 20 ish, and the bottom end of On Nut, they usually have some fat ugly Thai woman in tow.

Ingenious?

"419" means a scam. It's a reference, I believe, to Section 419 of the Nigerian penal code.

What followed in Bigbamboo's post is typical content from emails the scammers send out. It is usually followed by an offer for the recipient of the email to benefit from huge amounts of money the scammer claims he has access to...if you send him some money first.

You need to get out more,try taking the canal boat from The Mall Bang Kapi at 5 in the evening, they are getting on an stops such as Wat Klang, Mahat Thai, Ram Uni etc etc, funny how they all get off at Nana soi 3, I dont think they are going to eat Nigerian food or go for a haircut.

Another hotbed of them is Pattanakarn soi 20 ish, and the bottom end of On Nut, they usually have some fat ugly Thai woman in tow.

I guess what jamhar was trying to say is that since Nigerians are only a small minority of the population of Bangkok, despite there being quite a few in the Ramkamhaeng area, their numbers pale in comparison to the local Thais. It's a similar story with westerners in Sukhumvit, no matter how many you find in any one location, there are always more Thais (except maybe at the full moon party in Koh Phangan, where there's scarcely an Asian person in sight but that's only one night a month).

Ingenious?

Tip of a very massive iceberg. For years my Inbox has been full of invites to help transfer money or suggesting that I am a long lost relative of someone who died intestate. All my relatives ever did was just die and leave the living to foot the bill

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me - but I would really love to scam a Nigerian. Not for money - just for "revenge" from all the email spams. I'm not sure it's possible though. They seem to be masters.

So you want to scam innocent Nigerians who have never scammed anyone. Sounds like a pretty racist attitude. Why don't you want to scam Americans instead? Plenty of American scammers e.g. Madoff. This is racism at its worst.

• Like 1

Nigeria's in Thailand "SHOULD" be refused entry into the Kingdom or at least make it extremely difficult for them to get visas. The amount of "innocent" Thai girls sitting in SE Asian jails as a result of these bastards using them as drug mules is staggering. Haven't met an honest Nigerian yet.

i haven't met an honest Hobiecat yet.

• Like 1

It's not out of Malaysia.It serves only as the address to pay the money to, Western Union.

About 3 years ago I saved a local HiSo as she got tagged. Yes blackberry and "tagged" social community.

Following the Ips from email conversations it originated from the UK with all the fake documents they presented as proof.

Malaysia comes last in that setting. It's a false address, People who get money via WU can actually be anywhere in the world. They only tell you they got stuck in Malaysia with some of their suitcases and gifts etc..

You think that's bad? You should try Nigeria, I worked there once teaching scamming techniques and the bloody place is full of them!coffee1.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by BrianCR