Apple Said To Be Developing Iwatch

webfact

Apple said to be developing iWatch

SAN FRANCISCO: -- - Under pressure to come up with a new device category that will replicate the astonishing success of the iPad and iPhone, Apple is reportedly developing a computer wrist watch that will work in conjunction with its other gadgets.

A report by Bloomberg News triggered a flurry of speculation on blogs and the revelation that Apple had obtained a provisional patent.

The report said that hundreds of Apple employees were working on the wearable computer, which would likely face stiff competition from Google’s eyeglass-embedded computers that screen information discreetly to a tiny screen in front of the users’ eyes.

Apple’s small new device is initially expected to use Bluetooth to connect to its owners’ smartphone or tablet, but as the technology develops, the wearable computer could become a standalone device that would be cheaper than the iPhone and iPad and help Apple build its market share in emerging markets.

Wearable computers are already a hit among early adopters. Nike’s strap-on Fuelband tracks physical activity and the Pebble, a watch that communicates with smartphones, displays notifications and other information on a user’s wrist.

But interaction design expert Bruce Tognazzini believes that Apple’s device will take the sector to a new level.

"The iWatch will fill a gaping hole in the Apple ecosystem," he noted in an online posting.

"It will facilitate and coordinate not only the activities of all the other computers and devices we use, but a wide array of devices to come. Like other breakthrough Apple products, its value will be underestimated at launch, then grow to have a profound impact on our lives and Apple’s fortunes.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-20

Apple could release the iStink which emits a foul smell and pong-out the purchaser's house/apartment bah.gif. It will sell for "only" $699 , and yet the sheep who so blindly follow the Apple-cult will still flock to buy it; queuing on release day to get it first. ..actually they will camp outside the Apple stores all night prior.

Those same fools will later queue to buy the iStink 2 upon its release also (not having learnt their lesson the first time). cheesy.gif

Two years later they will release the miniature personal version, the iStinkMini which is wearable and makes the wearer emit (new & stronger) foul smelling odours. By this time the price will have dropped to $299. But only shortly after they will incorporate the iStinkMini into the iPhone (the iPong add-on) and for Macs off it as a USB insert; the iSmell. Eventually it will be a regular feature included with all Apple products.

Edited by fire and ice
  • Like 1

Apple R&D is working on:

-iWife

-iMia Noi

-iExpat

-iBum Gun

-iVisa

-iExpat

-

and then there is the

EyePad (aka iPad) from Captain Hook

iScream

iSland

iDontno

for Thais, there is iBa

iBall

actually I have an iPod Nano with a bracelet, perfect as a watch. Apple, you are reinventing the wheel!

I was hoping that there would be some on topic discussion in this thread about this new product. I'll just let myself out then.

As the smartwatch craze hots up I have purchased, through Kickstarter, a Pebble watch. I liked the idea of it and I am hoping it takes off. It was only a matter of time before Apple were mentioned to be working on the same thing.

I have looked at the Pebble. I think it is interesting, but a little bit expensive. I would really like the idea of just glancing at my watch when I get a call or text to see who it is from. I hate sitting in a meeting at work, when I get the buzz, but don't want to pull my phone out and see who it is.

Hopefully Apple will put something revolutionary into the gadget, but without Steve Jobs that might not happen.

Currently, if rumours are to be believed, Sir Johnathon Ives biught tons of Nike watches back in the 90s which could suggest Apple has had the watch market in its sights for some time but is only now at the stage to progress. Also, again just rumours, there are indeed iWatch prototypes running a 'full blown iOS' which could prove hard to use on such a small screen unless Siri is improved and used on it. The Pebble is something I have followed for some time, it is the only Kickstarter project I have backed and I needed a new watch anyway.

Apparently it should ship to me here in Thailand (free worldwide shipping) starting March 18th. I will let you know what I think of it if you are interested.