Just Hit By The Music Scammers- But For Them It Was A Flop

eyecatcher

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you are OK and good job.

A gang matching this description hit a massage place I frequent that is just outside of the moat about a week or so ago. It was about 10 PM. Same MO. The Thai manager refused to pay as well. Lots of intimidation of the staff. They have not been back to that shop since.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

I'd guess that this scam doesn't kick much money back to the local police, probably not enough for them to really throw their weight behind the scammers. And it's probably a hassle for them to deal with, because business operators have many ways to resist, as the OP's story depicts. Anyway, it's this kind of nonsense--petty thuggery in the name of the law-- that keeps Thailand from evolving.

this same guy in the red shirt came to my bar on sunday ,i have all the correct docs from being done by the copy right police 4 times all ready 1st time western 2nd time thai music 3rd time videos ,each time payed a fine in the police station ranging from 12-18000baht this lowlife scum bag told my other half that he was the original and all the others were scammers don at the police station they back him up and then they fined me 13000 once more ,yesterday this video was making the rounds on facebook and you tube ,i instructed a lawyer to go to the police station to show video to the police and they said basically my wife as a liar and as she had no proof other than the dodgy reciept she sould go and be more careful in future ,ther were 5-6 other people in the police station all paying the same fine ,luckily for me i wasnt in the bar that night as i would now probably be in jail ..my bar is chiang mai cabaret in anusan market if anyone has any details on the scumbag please let me know because i would love to catch up with him ....

• Like 1

How about posting some pics. of the gang around town: on lamp posts, phone booths, 7/11's etc with a dire warning "Beware of Crooks". Well done for standing up to these cockroaches.

Glad you are OK and good job.

A gang matching this description hit a massage place I frequent that is just outside of the moat about a week or so ago. It was about 10 PM. Same MO. The Thai manager refused to pay as well. Lots of intimidation of the staff. They have not been back to that shop since.

• Like 1

I don't know where your place is located. Are you in the Phuping District? If so, it makes sense, if not, being asked to go there is a dead give away. You may want to consider taking this above all the local's heads. Take a drive over to the District 5 office over on Mahidol Rd. and make your complaint there.

Good Luck!

They came to a couple bars in the Loi Kroh Boxing area on Saturday night. The guy pictured above in the video was yelling and acting like he was going to get violent with the bar manager (male). He took a stack of CD's and also grabbed a girl's mobile phone away from her. He didn't have any police with him this time.

I took a couple pictures of him and he got real angry. Started pointing at me and mouthing threats a couple times. I shrugged him off and took a few more pics. He came and tried to intimidate me. I smiled, laughed in his face and shrugged him off again. He backed off and disappeared. (Yes, I know that him and the 5 guys he had with them could have beat my ass.... Didn't really care much at that point.)

Attached are 3 pics of the guy. He's wearing a yellow shirt in the pics. He came and milled around outside the bar for a bit before coming back with all his friends to start his deal with the bar manager.

post-16307-0-03004800-1361514413_thumb.jpost-16307-0-01638400-1361514427_thumb.jpost-16307-0-72792200-1361514481_thumb.j

-Mestizo

• Like 2

Also saw this same group + the girl do their thing to another back a couple years back. That time they had a uniformed police officer with them. I also took his pic that time and he was again very upset. The police officer came over and told me to delete the pics. I handed him my *locked* phone (Android at the time, with the connect the dots pattern to unlock) and told him to go ahead and delete whatever he wanted. He looked at the locked screen for a bit and just handed it back to me. wink.png

Attached are some super crappy, horrible pics of the same guy and the girl. One of the pics, there is a huge light reflection off one guy. That was the police wearing the reflective motorbike riding vest. Really too bad that the pics came out so horrible. However, I highly recommend that anybody seeing these people take pics of them to help spread the word. It also seems to make them a bit nervous and they want to get out of there once people start taking pics of them. On a previous thread about this, somebody mentioned instructing all the girls working in the bar to all take out their camera phones and take as many pics as possible. I think thats pretty good advise..

-Mestizo

post-16307-0-34501000-1361515120_thumb.jpost-16307-0-31105700-1361515140_thumb.jpost-16307-0-21199300-1361515156_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thats the one Mestizo, and whilst me too would have been more confident one on one, with 5 waiting in the wings, not worth it; so try to win with intelligence and guile, not too difficult here.

Update: we have a contact now, a lady working as a receptionist at the Phuping and a cousin of one of my girls. Just called to say there are 2 or 3 other victims at the station right now.

my girls have now gone to add their weight, not sure if i should go, dont want to get into any trouble.

but seriously they need taking out as they are a menace.

be on your guard business owners and formulate a contingency plan now, contact phone numbers, your big tattooed mates, the pig snares.

I would be very careful because there is a VERY GOOD CHANCE they are packing heat.

I hate to see or hear of all this banana republic lawless marauding type behavior by these guys. It really is horrible. Makes you think we have no rights.. or that nobody has any rights. Put on a uniform or badge, look official and threatening and go extort. Who are these people ? How do they choose when to come out ? It only happens now and then for a period and then it subsides or goes elsewhere. Who are they really gathering money for ? They bribe some BIB's, but are they really police or are they some government office pretending to be some other enforcement division ? I'm gonna investigate with a Thai bar owner friend of mine. This is quite curious and f*@d up.

Also saw this same group + the girl do their thing to another back a couple years back. That time they had a uniformed police officer with them. I also took his pic that time and he was again very upset. The police officer came over and told me to delete the pics. I handed him my *locked* phone (Android at the time, with the connect the dots pattern to unlock) and told him to go ahead and delete whatever he wanted. He looked at the locked screen for a bit and just handed it back to me. wink.png

Attached are some super crappy, horrible pics of the same guy and the girl. One of the pics, there is a huge light reflection off one guy. That was the police wearing the reflective motorbike riding vest. Really too bad that the pics came out so horrible. However, I highly recommend that anybody seeing these people take pics of them to help spread the word. It also seems to make them a bit nervous and they want to get out of there once people start taking pics of them. On a previous thread about this, somebody mentioned instructing all the girls working in the bar to all take out their camera phones and take as many pics as possible. I think thats pretty good advise..

-Mestizo

attachicon.gifIMAG0101.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG0102.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG0103.jpg

The guy alleged to be a policeman being glared out by the reflected light in the photograph. Did anyone ask to see his ID or get his name or number? Are you certain he was a real policeman?

Here is some of my advice, for what it`s worth:

For the farang business owners, if you do not have any official paperwork to confirm that you are the owners and your Thai language skills are either extremely limited or non existent, than don`t waste your time visiting a police station, as the police will not be interested and more likely poo poo you hoping that you’re turn your back, walk out of there and then they can continue on with they’re coffee break. Their philosophy is; we’ll wait until there is an incident where someone is either seriously injured or killed, then we will investigate. Anyone who has stayed in Thailand long enough will know what I mean.

So what should you do:

All the businesses that have so far been subjected to intimidation by these thugs and terrorists, whoever is the actual business owners, on paperwork I mean, hire the services of one reputable Thai lawyer or a Thai who knows how to deal with these matters as a spokesperson to represent you all. Try to make this into a whole Thai affair and the farangs should stay back only to give advice.

Ask the spokesperson to make an appointment to see a head or someone high up in the police department. All the Thai owners including the paperwork that pertains to them should accompany the spokesperson. Include any evidence you have. Ensure that all the paperwork is in order, give the police no excuses to dismiss your case. Then basically after stating your case, ask the police what do they intend to do about it? If it is hinted that this may involve a donation to the police poor fund, than this has to be left up to everyone’s discretion.

If no satisfactory results is obtained from the police, then it`s as one poster has already said; have 2 or 3 heavies on the company’s payroll, because sadly, this appears to be the way Thailand is heading these days, thugs aiming themselves at soft targets, similar to the Pattaya jetski scams.

These bastards work by fear and intimidation and if they continue to get away with this, then the problem will escalate, so action is required, like 2 days before yesterday.

Please at least consider my advice, even as a plan B if nothing else works or the problem does not go away and try not to take matters into your own hands. These vermin can be vicious and someone may get killed.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

-Mestizo

attachicon.gifIMAG0101.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG0102.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG0103.jpg

The guy alleged to be a policeman being glared out by the reflected light in the photograph. Did anyone ask to see his ID or get his name or number? Are you certain he was a real policeman?

Here is some of my advice, for what it`s worth:

For the farang business owners, if you do not have any official paperwork to confirm that you are the owners and your Thai language skills are either extremely limited or non existent, than don`t waste your time visiting a police station, as the police will not be interested and more likely poo poo you hoping that you’re turn your back, walk out of there and then they can continue on with they’re coffee break. Their philosophy is; we’ll wait until there is an incident where someone is either seriously injured or killed, then we will investigate. Anyone who has stayed in Thailand long enough will know what I mean.

So what should you do:

All the businesses that have so far been subjected to intimidation by these thugs and terrorists, whoever is the actual business owners, on paperwork I mean, hire the services of one reputable Thai lawyer or a Thai who knows how to deal with these matters as a spokesperson to represent you all. Try to make this into a whole Thai affair and the farangs should stay back only to give advice.

Ask the spokesperson to make an appointment to see a head or someone high up in the police department. All the Thai owners including the paperwork that pertains to them should accompany the spokesperson. Include any evidence you have. Ensure that all the paperwork is in order, give the police no excuses to dismiss your case. Then basically after stating your case, ask the police what do they intend to do about it? If it is hinted that this may involve a donation to the police poor fund, than this has to be left up to everyone’s discretion.

If no satisfactory results is obtained from the police, then it`s as one poster has already said; have 2 or 3 heavies on the company’s payroll, because sadly, this appears to be the way Thailand is heading these days, thugs aiming themselves at soft targets, similar to the Pattaya jetski scams.

These bastards work by fear and intimidation and if they continue to get away with this, then the problem will escalate, so action is required, like 2 days before yesterday.

Please at least consider my advice, even as a plan B if nothing else works or the problem does not go away and try not to take matters into your own hands. These vermin can be vicious and someone may get killed.

Does the Thai Ombudsman have a branch office in Chiang Mai?

They have a branch office in Pattaya and I'm aware that they have taken some 'cases' and their findings passed to senior police, who are basically frightened to ignore the ombudsman.

Edited by scorecard

I wonder why these punks don't take the threat a step higher and target farang owned bars by asking for valid 'work-permits'.....oops!

That would really scare the crap out of you guys! - if you don't know by now,doing any kind of business in Thailand is a walk on a very slippery rock.

Oh, a few words of advice; if you fight one, you fight them all.....and you may be buried here.

if you must do some sub-level business in order to exist here,then at least learn to speak Thai, geeze!!

Give your staff a raise.

Think of the world as a 'global village'....work in one part of it (your country) and live in another part of it (Thailand)

You guys need more than "good-Luck"

• Like 1

Bravo!!! Finally!!!

I'm assuming your speakers were safe (perhaps in the wall or ceiling) and you said you are using a MP3 player. Smart. Everyone should outsmart them with technology so they can not take your gear. Go a step further and also lock down your computer like they do in the computer stores or some net cafes. They sell a security cable (some use steel brackets) that unless these scammers come with bolt cutters they should not be able to get the computer once locked.

Lock down EVERYTHING. Let these baboons leave empty handed. Or for fun you can buy a pile of cheap or 2nd hand CDs and keep them in a pile just so they think they got something. Maybe even buy a super cheap broken photo or two and keep it all sitting out for them to grab and think they actually got something of value. Maybe on the CD cover you can print out that monkey's photo and put it on every one of them. While you're at it, print and frame the scammers photos and hang them on your wall next to your register / desk with a note telling your staff they are scammers and who they are, in English and Thai.

Let them scream and shout. As of yet I don't think they have actually assaulted anyone. They just use fear and intimidation to get what they want. Then do what this gent did and give them the police run around. Wear them out and drag it out, this method has worked in Pattaya with the Jet Ski scammers too. It's just time and they have more shops to hit so they won't waste too much on you.