Are There Many Opportunities For Western Style Chefs In Cm?

stevenjenowski

I am moving there in six weeks and was wondering if you see many westerners employed in restaurants. I know the average place is going to be stocked with thai's who work cheaper and are fluent, but I'm hoping to run into some ex-pat's who would view my cooking background and ease of english as a plus.

Also, are there any other jobs I should be looking for outside of teaching english? I do not have a bachelors degree nor do I wish to go that route.

I know it's a long shot, any info is appreciated.

It will all come down to what is on your CV

If you have good 5 star training and broad international 5 star experience then there is quite a lot of work for Head Chefs ( or sometimes Sous) with WP's organised and supplied by the employers in LOS.

If you don't then forget it. Chef de partie ( and even sous chef most times) and below and your competing against the Filipinos who will work for same rates as Thai nationals.

If you do then present your CV to the 5 stars in CM.

Edited by hagler

A couple of year ago i attended a big charity function at the Four Seasons. Chefs from local big hotels and resorts demonstrated their skills in front of the audience.

These were Chefs from Italy, France..(and honestly cant remember where else), that were working here.
Im sorry to not be much help per say, but just wished to let you know that there are working western chefs in chiang mai, so it is possible.

Of course though, as others have said, i imagine its not an easy avenue to enter into. I would think you would need excellent accreditation and references.

I imagine too, that the large hotels and resorts are generally the only entry points.

But nothing ventured, nothing gained! So sincere good luck!! Would be great reading down the line that you actually did get into one of the places. Always good to read positive outcomes :)

If you have International experience.

Apply to the international hotel chains,via there head office,address.

If not check out the many publications,in your home country,advertising Chef positions in Thailand,

High end vacancies are few and far between,in Thailand.

They are taken from in house.

• Like 2

Depending on where you come from, your salary may be priced out if range for a city like Chiang Mai

If your long term plans are to stay in Thailand and you have excellent skill sets and Asian cuisine experience , you will succeed better in either Phuket Bangkok or Koh Samui

Once you have enough Thai operating experience you are then in a better spot to move to Chiang Mai but there are very little upmarket resorts here who can afford a western chef

• Like 1