What Kind Of Visa Allows You To Import "used Household Effects" Tax Free?

I have read the following page : http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects

And it seemed that any 1 year non immigrant visa allowed you to import "used/second hand household effects" tax free. But I was unsure so I sent them an email and got no response. I sent an email to some visa agency and they claimed you need a work permit to be allowed to do that, but they didn't seem so reliable to me so I think a second opinion is very much needed.

I thought I should ask here, maybe someone knows better.

In the event that indeed you need a work permit, are the customs going to tax what is obviously used stuff? No way around it? (At the very least I need to send myself my 2 guitars and my computer...).

We did this about 4 years ago, when we eventually sold our UK home. We paid no tax. We used an agency from the UK and they arranged everything, we completed the forms etc.

One thing though, there is a list of not allow stuff and duplicates of non clothes may cause tax on everything, so bring one guitar as hand luggage instead.

A Thai wife can import if they have lived overseas, as it appears the above answer indicates. But OP is talking about any non immigrant visa entry and that does not allow such and that fact seem to be clearly stated in the reference he provided. Believe his confusion is because they use the term one year non immigrant visa issued by immigration (immigration does not issue any such thing - they issue one year extensions of stay and that is the requirement). A person here without other reasons would need to be working and on an extension of stay for that. This is indicated two places with following requirements stated:

The letter from the Immigration Department certifying that the nonresidents shall be granted an annual temporary stay in Thailand; or

The work permit from the Department of Labor to work in Thailand for at least one year.

And yes anything can be taxed at value plus transport so fees can be large. Normally a reasonable package price is agreed upon without need for total inspection.

whistling.gif I could be wrong ... wouldn't be the first time ... but I believe there was once a stipulation that with a O-A retirement visa (the one you have to obtain in your home country, and which requires a police records check and medical examination as part of the process) you were allowed to bring into Thailand a one-time shipment of personal used household goods upon entrance into Thailand.

But it was only for that particular O-A visa and was a one-time thing.

My recollection is that it was later revoked, and hasn't been true for a few years.

It seems to me that in Thai "Political History Time" that privaledge went out one or two governments back.... but I'm not really sure.

I understood retirement visa does not allow you to import used goods without paying tax

I beleive on a work permit you can, however you would need to re-export

Also, as someone pointed out if you pay tax its on, the cost of goods PLUS transport costs, packing costs etc

As I only have an education visa I guess it means I have to forget about bringing anything tax free here.

I don't know if that kind of question is allowed here but : with my computer I can pretty much list any kind of composants inside, as long as the brand fits I don't think they woul tear it appart to see if the video card is an nvidia gt250 or a gt460, right? By the way do we have to declare purchase price or used price?

In the end I will have to pay the 20% + 7%VAT is this correct? I don't remember what is this 20%, but if it is for administrative purpose is there any way around it, like having the carrier pay the 7% VAT straight away so there is not much paper work and such?

You can buy a computer system here at a low cost. Just pull hard drive ('s) out of your computer and pack them in your luggage. That way you will have your operating system and programs.

Electronic equipment is taxed higher than anything else.

Ship things over and use an agent. The agent will negotiate a favourable fee for you, saving you money.

Can you do this if you ship by plane?

(the French post has surprisingly low cost for air shipping and I will not be shipping much so shipping by sea is not really an option I consider anymore)

You can buy a computer system here at a low cost. Just pull hard drive ('s) out of your computer and pack them in your luggage. That way you will have your operating system and programs. Electronic equipment is taxed higher than anything else.

I already have my hard drives. But I think that if I resell everything and buy everything again it will cost me as much as shipping my computer here and the problem is that I can't resell it unless I go back to France. So it's seems to me that shipping it is better.

Edited by whichwat

I entered Thailand in 2003 with a one-year non-B.

I'm not sure of the exact value of my shipment of clothes, cd's, tools, small art-effects, bicycle, but I paid a total of THB 8000 and I guess that most of it were handling and customs charges.

AFAIK, household items can be duty-free imported, within 6 months after your first arrival.

In Holland you can ask for http://www.baggage.nl/

in the UK you could try http://www.excess-baggage.com/ or http://web.crownrelo.com/uk

I understood retirement visa does not allow you to import used goods without paying tax

I beleive on a work permit you can, however you would need to re-export

Also, as someone pointed out if you pay tax its on, the cost of goods PLUS transport costs, packing costs etc

This is correct if you are a foreigner- there is no household duty free for a Non Imm O-A visa. Duty exempt is available if you have a work permit.

When I brought my 20 foot container in last year under my Non Imm O-A visa I was expecting a one-time relief on duty...not so...I paid a duty but fortunately not lot as my inbound agent took care of it.

You need a work permit, or a returning Thai spouse that has lived in the country where the shipment originates for min 12 months without frequent return trips to Thailand during that period. You are allowed 1 air and 1 sea shipment. One of each electrical item (the rest you need to hide at the back of the container), non hhg items like bikes, golf clubs, wine etc are taxable so should be loaded at the back of the container and not listed on the inventory.

Air shipments that arrive without a work permit are taxed on CIF (cost insurance freight) value which is very, very high.

That's the gospel and I am 100% correct. I don't wanna hear about your mate that bought his container in with a tourist/retirement visa and didn't pay tax cos that just doesn't happen, no matter who you know. In fact I have seen it just once in 15 years and that was when a lady sat in the customs dept for 4 hours crying non-stop until the customs officer had had enough and gave in.

• Like 1

Is there any inspection? How is old furniture treated and assessed value? How about newer stuff? I would want to bring over lots of wood furniture for a colonial designed livingspace.

Used furniture, even good stuff doesnt have much value in US.

What about items like clocks or china? When my parents pass I am thinking to bring the stuff over as its really nice and looks like ebay wont give me shi% for it. I know estate brokers are bandits. Friend just went thru liquidating, sad it was sad. Like giving it away.

Do you provide an estimated value on the shipping invoice?

Posters: please dont put up sny old link. Just those you have exp with and trust to do a good job.

Is there any inspection? How is old furniture treated and assessed value? How about newer stuff? I would want to bring over lots of wood furniture for a colonial designed livingspace.

Used furniture, even good stuff doesnt have much value in US.

What about items like clocks or china? When my parents pass I am thinking to bring the stuff over as its really nice and looks like ebay wont give me shi% for it. I know estate brokers are bandits. Friend just went thru liquidating, sad it was sad. Like giving it away.

Do you provide an estimated value on the shipping invoice?

Posters: please dont put up sny old link. Just those you have exp with and trust to do a good job.

Inspection? There are 1,000's of containers coming into Thailand and the average customs officer can be compared to a police officer sitting on his ass in his air conditioned box at an intersection. He would much rather stay in the cool air watching the muay Thai than get out, open a container, pull out 200 cartons and start ripping open boxes. As long as the paperwork is correct, then there will be a cursory opening visual inspection through an open door and off you go. Anything out of the ordinary can be negotiated. That is all the free info I will give. Anyone need assistance shipping hhg goods door to door is welcome to contact me and I can point you in the right direction. However, shipping your laptop, beer coaster collection, grandfather clock is more the realm of TNT, DHL etc.

Thanks. Yes, I would require professional.shipper, but thx for that. Not interested in hiding anything, just not quibbling about values of used furniture and household goods.

Family furniture, one off stuff ....not stuff I can buy in Thailand. Not at all unless just to.fill.up.the container after all the important stuff is loaded.

Can you tell.me how is used stuff valued? Surely not as new. Example: used kitchen mixer, old table, ten year old hardwood table, old lamps, contemporary used bedroom furniture.

Can I bring my golf clubs over on my next return from.usa (in a box not a bag)?

Thx

Edited by bangkokburning

My experience with importing a 20 ft container with used household effects into Thailand from Holland.

(with a Non O visa. in September 2010)

Bought a second hand 20ft container (SCS approved) € 1100,- ( makes a nice secure storage at home)

door to door transport/ documents/ handling/agent in BKK/ all through the Dutch shipping agent i used: € 2465,- this included "money under the table" for easy clearance for the customs.

and finally import taxes 30.000 thb.

I already had found out that on a Non O visa i wouldn't get tax free import.

When the container was about to arrive (by that time i already was in Thailand) (container was a little bit more then 1 month on the way from Rotterdam ) i sended my passport to the agent in BKK after it was cleared by customs and i had transferred the import taxes to the agent in BKK.it was on a truck on it's way to my home.My passport was send back with Thailand post.

When i opened it all was excatly as it was when i closed it in Holland.it wasn't checked!! mayby only the doors were opened.

I provided the Dutch agent and Thai agent a excel file with the contents ( in total 284 items/ boxes) divided in different groups/codes. believe me, the container was completly FULL

the agents in Holland and BKK tolded me NOT to mention any value of the goods on the list.

When you are a bit of "creative" with that list you can take as much items as you want......... no need to hide it.

All together ( container included) € 4315,- ( 172.600 thb) for some it may sound a bit high at first, but hey, you can't buy a complete good quality household for that money , and having you're own things around is ( almost) priceless.

The whole process was without any stress or problems , thanks to the Dutch and Thai agents.

links below;

http://www.allwaystransport.nl/pagina/22/Verhuisservice.html

http://united-relo.com/Contact_Us.html

hope it may help some people

Cheers.

Thanks. Yes, I would require professional.shipper, but thx for that. Not interested in hiding anything, just not quibbling about values of used furniture and household goods.

Family furniture, one off stuff ....not stuff I can buy in Thailand. Not at all unless just to.fill.up.the container after all the important stuff is loaded.

Can you tell.me how is used stuff valued? Surely not as new. Example: used kitchen mixer, old table, ten year old hardwood table, old lamps, contemporary used bedroom furniture.

Can I bring my golf clubs over on my next return from.usa (in a box not a bag)?

Thx

I don't know about furnitures but I know that you can indeed declare a used value for computer stuff but if the declared value is under 40% of the original price they will tax at least 40% of it anyway.