Anyone Got Uk Visitor Visa For Wife And Her Daughter Recently ?

Hi I am returning to Thailand in a couple of weeks I will be hoping to get 6 month visitors visas for my thai wife and her 3 year old daughter while i am there , I was going to start gathering all the documentation/ proof i will need before i go. in case i need something that i have in the uk rather than struggle to get it while i am away .

I have been reading lots of other posts but not found one with exactly the same circumstances .

My wife tells me her ex husband has signed something that means the daughter is her responsobility , ( he has no contact except 1 visit in the last 18 months , to turn up and ask for money !, sounds a nice guy ! but i have never met him so will reserve final judgment until that time , if that ever happens .)

I guess this means sole custody , but who knows I dont read Thai or speak it to any great extent . what should i need to see to know this is true ?

I get on great with the daughter and have just spent 10 weeks together . I am more than happy to do all i can for her ,wich includes a holliday to the uk where i hope it will help her English language and also help us bond even more into a family unit .My wife gives birth in the next few weeks in Thailand !

I understand i will need 2 seperate visas

1 for a spouse visiting family
1 for my wifes daughter a standard visitors visa

I cant see a problem with the wifes visa ,( she visited the uk last year for 2 months ) I wil get all the photos , a sponcer letter with all the supporting evidence , (marriage certs ,divorce papers ,bank statements acomodation photos etc etc, ) jus as i did for her visitors visa .

for my wifes Daughter though i am worried about that .

1 accomodation , I have a spare bedroom that i use as an office I am happy to empty it and get a bed etc , but feel its a bit silly to do all that before the visa is issued !

2 Is there any tricky points i should look out for on application I know reason to return is going to be a clincher , but anything else ??

3 I guess i have to pay 2 visa fees , does anyone know the current cost

4 does it get any easier for a second or third or fourth application as i hope to do this for the next couple of years , As I save enough money hopefully to eventualy apply for permanent residency under the new rules , and also to give my wife and daughters chance to try life in the uk .

sorry for the long post , all help and advice will be welcome .I have loads of stuff to sort out re new babys passport , Thai visa for me , etc etc . I am sure lots of you are used to it , I am not good at dealing with this kind of thing . But I better get used to it !

If anyone has a simular expirience it would be nice to here from you ! I am naturaly worried about all this !

Santisuk , Thats all great info , You are a real star ! I had forgotton about the need for original bank statements , I better get on with ordering them , my main personel account is online account

I will be driving to Bangkok as we will have a newborn with us is it in the centre or is it reasonabley easy to get to ! Regent house ?

Yes good idea about calling VFS, that should put my mind at rest a little , as you said the cost is quite considerable , but also the hassle and stress ,to go through all that for only one of hem to get the visa would be heartbreaking .

Gota go to work now but i will re red your great post when i get back and PM you about the outcome in a couple of months time ! thanks again !

Your wife will have a Phor khor 14 or a divorce certificate showing who has custody of the child.

Under Thai law if your wife was never married to the father she has custody as per the above so she can decide to take the child wherever she likes.

• VFS are not qualified to give immigration advise they are merely a service provider & they should not be giving any.
  • Like 1

http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/images/map_060312.jpg

This is the official map. Yes it is very central and close to the shopping central area of Bangkok.

Those unfamiliar with the Ploenchit area may find it difficult getting into Rajdamri Rd from the North, due to one way systems. I always approach it from the southern end for that reason (plus it is a slightly less congested area to the south). If approaching from the south you need to know that there is a U-turn from the north-bound lanes of Rajdamri right in front of Regent House that gets you into their car park if you are nimble in cutting accross the south-bound lanes!

I would encourage you to set an appointment time after 11am. Traffic in central Bangkok is a nightmare before then (and could still be difficult after then so leave plenbty of time for the trip).

TVE thank you i will check if she has the PHOR KHOR 14 , SANTISUK you make it sound very easy driving around Bangkok, we recently drove through , we only had to hop offf the main road to find a hotel near Don Muang airport , we Quickly realised we where not upto the task and had to pay a motorbike taxi to guide us in .I can see that happening again ! I rely on Sat nav here in the UK these days , but I dont have that over in thailand , we used the google maps off an iphone , but it was not that accurate in Bangkok. I am very good with a map , I used to drive all over London and all of the UK with a map on my knee no problem . But In Bangkok No Way ! Its a little more hectic you need eyes everywhere on the road , no holding the map up on the steering wheel .

You will still have to demonstrate reasons why your wife and her daughter will return! Every visa application is processed on its merits. A bad immigration history will be detrimental but a good history does not automatically guarantee a visa.

Provide full information as if this was the first visa. Provide details of her job (if any) plus permission to take time off (if applicable), property etc.

The ECO's will be looking for people trying to by-pass the immigration rules especially now they have become tougher.

Take nothing for granted and make sure the application is thoroughly prepared. There is a good guide:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/524561-uk-settlement-visa-basics/

Most visa applications are granted!!

In the absence of anyone else's help I will add my two pennyworth. I have taken my wife, our daughter and an unofficially adopted daughter (my wife's young cousin) to the Uk a couple of times. That was a follow up to taking my wife alone to the UK a couple of times previous. Not exactly your circumstances - but it could be exactly your circumstances if it turns out that your wife does not have sole custody of her daughter. In that event I can give you further examples of what you need to get form the natural father - Immigration give no guidance about the nature of the confirmation and nor do they warn you taht you will need to get the parents ID card copied and countersigned as well!

Your biggest problem is obviously the natural father. If I was in your shoes I would phone VFS in Thailand (it is much easier to get through to a real person now - the menu option that acheived that used to be very difficult to get to). They are very helpful. Explain your predicament (being out of Thailand but the one who will help your wife to get the visa. They are used to Thai wives/girlfriends not being partiucularly confident with officialdom. Ask them exactly what document it is that they would expect to see to prove that the mother can take the child out of country without the father's written permission (ask them the Thai name and what type of document that is). Ask them whether your wife can come in to Regent House in advance (like now) to show them the document if there is any doubt.

Other thoughts. Yes, apart from the child permission issue everything should be easier if your wife has already been to the UK. She has demonstrated that she does return to Thaialnd rather than disappearing into the ether in Blighty. Following the route you took with your successful application last time around should bring results. My sponsor letters always states towards the end that we "have no current intention of settling in the UK". I'm sure that is what you mean when you talk about this issue in your post thumbsup.gif

I'm guessing that you are going to sponsor your wife rather than relying on demonstrating her independent financial wealth to pay for her visit. Provided you are well resourced I can't see you having any problem. If you are renting (or own) a house or flat I can't see any reason why you need to have to go into the accommodation issue. I have always simply said that they will be staying in the (house) that I rent in the UK. If you are demonstrating your own financial resources you will of course need to remember to take the original of statements and documents supporting your income level out to Thialand with you (but VFS will accept print-offs from the internet (use colour) of financial documantation as being originals if your name is clearly on the statement (watch out for Post Office Savings - they don't even give the full account name).

I am not aware of any documentation additional requirements over the last three years - I base that on experience of applying earlier this month and one I made in May last year and March 2010. Do however take the original of all ID cards and any tabien baans (housebooks) for your Thai family members. From memory these are not formally required but most times my wife has been asked to give them. Take the pressure of yourself and get the cashier cheques for the visa fee (THB 3,900 per person for a 6 monther - yes that's 7,700 for you I'm afraid) from the bank in Regent House ground floor on the day (20 baht a cheque) and also the photos from the visa agents (250 baht per 6 photo person set): they are now on the right hand side of the ground floor, VFS having moved to the left hand side of the ground floor. Parjking is available on site for 60 baht a 2 -3 hours stint (20 baht a quick visit). Alll these help take the pressure off having to get everything ready in advance and carting stuff on the BTS.

Don't rely entirely on my guidance even though I think/hope it will be reasonably authoritative. I.e. do read and read again the VFS requiremenmts and the application and guidance notes (before leaving the UK). Do phone VFS if you have any doubts - they will always deal with questions on a principals basis without asking for names.

PM me as well as posting here if you need more. I may not see a follow up request unles on PM, but its best to keep the discourse available for all.

SantiSuk,

Your advice is helpful, except for the bit about calling VFS. VFS are, firstly, not allowed to give immigration advice and, secondly, VFS is nothing to do with UKBA. They should not be asked about required documentation as they do not know what is required in each particular application. They have received no immigration training at all. If the advice given by VFS turns out to be wrong, then you have no comeback at all, especially of the aplication is refused. Their job is only to process applications.

OK - thanks for the input Tony.

Ive called VFS about something every time I've applied; the last time was about getting an emergency visa for my wife so we could both get to my Dad's funeral in the UK (timing, availability of quick appointments, processing times, any shortcuts). As usual they were helpful. Maybe I've just been lucky with the questions I've asked in the past. Maybe my questions have been more factual than a question 'what is the document in Thailand that establishes parental control'. My questions have though given rise to responses that I would characterise as inclusive of advice (not legal immigration determinations but certainly advice on process and documentation). They certainly have always been happy to answer.

I hate to challenge people who probably do this for a living but the steer you and ThaiVisaExpress are giving would tend to put people off asking basic process questions that I think they are capable of answering and do answer. I accept that maybe the particular issue is more than basic process.

So, for this issue on this thread are you and ThaiVisaExpress promoting the route of asking UK Bangkok embassy staff, UK immigration officials, or are you promoting using a Thai visa agent? Or should we rely on answers in ThaiVisa.com?

Sorry - not trying to be hostile - just sharing experience.smile.png

SantiSuk, it needs to be remembered that VFS are a clearing house; they collect application forms, supporting documents, biometrics and fees and forward them to the entry clearance section at the embassy. They then receive passports etc. back from the embassy to return to applicants.

That's it; that is their only function, that is all their contract with the UKBA is for.

You say that you have always found VFS to be helpful and their advice useful; have a trawl through this forum and you will find many who have had the opposite experience!

They may be happy to answer questions, but from reports on this forum and elsewhere that answer is often wrong.

Their most common error appears to be telling people who do qualify as family visitors and who have applied as such that they don't and must complete a new, general visit application!

I have also heard of people being told by VFS that a particular document isn't needed who have subsequently been refused by the ECO because the same document was not included!

VFS may be able to answer basic questions about waiting times etc., but anything more complicated is beyond both their competence and remit.

Whether applicants and/or sponsors seek advice from the UKBA website and publications, forums such as this, professional agents or wherever is up to them. But the one place I would strongly advice them not to seek advice from is VFS.

Ok I understand , dont bother speaking to VFS, not many people on here seem to have gone through this situation though or are just not able to spend the time to post , But thanks for reading anyway .

Sanitsuk I will Pm you as i wondered if I need to double up on things like photos of us all together to prove relationship is real . I still dont realy understand if i am submitting 2 completely seperate visa apps or if the supporting documents ie Bank statements and photo's will be ok to supply for both ,or if i need to do 2 copy's of everything . if that makes sense .

Yes you need 2 completely standalone applications, which means you must duplicate your sponsors letter and make two copies of everything that is common to both applications (financial evidence of your ability to support them on their visit etc). You dont need to double up on photos for instance as your wifes daughters application on a standalone basis would not need an immigration officer to see a photo of the mother. Do only one original sponsors letter that covers the combined situation of the visit and print and sign it twice. I will PM you a copy of my sponsor/invitation letter as an example of the sort of things to say. It's a bit personal to be posting on the broader forum but others can ask for it if they need it.

That is what VFS told me when I enquired a year ago (the requirement to make them standalone applications with doubled-up copying) and it worked, so I think that's probably the best thing to do, even if VFS were wrong and it was in fact unnecessary. (Couldnt resist that, but I am chastened by the weight of experiene on here and consider myself well and truly ticked off about relying on VFS!). Balls-aching to make all those copies, but best to be on the safe side I guess.

I don't think you need to provide photos to prove a relationship if you are legally married - ie you registered the marriage at a Thai amphur (I assume you did not get married in the UK, as this is your first application for a Visa for her). If you only did the monk thing in the village then I guess that a picture of that ceremony plus the earliest phone or hotel bill records of your being together cant hurt!

Just my personal experience. Others can chip in.

Edited by SantiSuk

Thanks thats great to know , I will print off and photocopy 2 of everything before i leave for Thailand its much easier to do here in UK in my home .
In your reply you say "I don't think you need to provide photos to prove a relationship if you
are legally married - ie you registered the marriage at a Thai amphur (I
assume you did not get married in the UK, as this is your first
application for a Visa for her)."
My wife has been to uk before though she got a general visitors visa last year before we where married only her 3 year old Daughter is applying for first time . This week i have already ordered lots of photo's of us together as a family and some even further back to show length of relationship . I ordered them already 70 of them !! lol .. luckily i got them for free from an online company ! first order of 70 prints free. so nothing lost but even if you say i don't need them i will put them in applications anyway it can only help !

I have only one ordered 1 copy of ORIGINAL bank statements though so i hope photocopys of those will be ok ,as i dont have time to get another set of originals from the bank !

As you say its Ball Aching , I just received my cat O visa from Thai consulate in Hull ,posed it monday with the 135 pounds photocopy of wedding certs her passport and received my pasport with visa inside Wednesday. If only the uk visa was just as easy !!

Thanks thats great to know , I will print off and photocopy 2 of everything before i leave for Thailand its much easier to do here in UK in my home .

In your reply you say "I don't think you need to provide photos to prove a relationship if you

are legally married - ie you registered the marriage at a Thai amphur (I

assume you did not get married in the UK, as this is your first

application for a Visa for her)."

My wife has been to uk before though she got a general visitors visa last year before we where married only her 3 year old Daughter is applying for first time . This week i have already ordered lots of photo's of us together as a family and some even further back to show length of relationship . I ordered them already 70 of them !! lol .. luckily i got them for free from an online company ! first order of 70 prints free. so nothing lost but even if you say i don't need them i will put them in applications anyway it can only help !

I have only one ordered 1 copy of ORIGINAL bank statements though so i hope photocopys of those will be ok ,as i dont have time to get another set of originals from the bank !

As you say its Ball Aching , I just received my cat O visa from Thai consulate in Hull ,posed it monday with the 135 pounds photocopy of wedding certs her passport and received my pasport with visa inside Wednesday. If only the uk visa was just as easy !!

You would be surprised how many Brits on ThaiVisa complain like heck about how difficult Thai immigration are. Plainly they have never seen the British foot in the other boot.

Yes you only need one original of documents provided you copy them twice. They ask for copies because they will quickly look at the originals and establish that your copy is ok, keep the copy and give you back the originals*. If the appointment deals with both wife and daughter at the same time there will be no issue. If one appointment is after the other then you just recycle the originals for the second interview, so there is no issue in either scenario.

*For avoidance of doubt though, they will hang onto passports of your wife and her daughter and the original of the sponsor letter and applicant photos. They need the passport to implant the visa of course. That reminds me. Take your passport along and a copy of the data page (the one at the back that border cops and airlines always look at) and pages with any Thai visas on them and the page with your last entry stamp. This is another document that I don't think crops up anywhere in the lists of requirements (maybe I'm wrong - I'm working off memory) but is asked for at interview if there is a sponsor letter. They will give your passport back after interview and just keep the copies.

Edit: don't get paranoid about having every last photocopy and document you need. In emergency they will let your wife come back outside to see you and you can go to the visa agents next door to take further copies. I always carry a binder of everything they could possibly ask for which is why I've never been phased (but have been irritated) when they've asked for stuff that I have thought was nowhere specified in the guidance or application forms like my wife's tabien baan.

Cheaper and less hassle to get it right yourself but nice to know you are not dead in the water if there is a slight hiccup.

Edited by theoldgit

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all who replied with help , We received 6 month visitor visas for my wife and her Daughter. we are all very happy , it took nearly 3 weeks for the decision

Unfortunately they have started them immediately, Even though i asked for dates in 3 weeks time , I even stapled a page in passport written on 3 times both sides and a tab sticking out ,The VFS staff highlighted it in the application form and i put a an a4 piece of paper with request on hand written about 3 inches high .

I have spoken to VFS and just emailed them so they will give me contact details at UKBA (I Guess ) to follow this up to see if it can be changed .

Thanks again especialy those who PM'd me ..