Bangkok Governor Election: Candidates Promise A City Free Of Graft

webfact

BANGKOK GOVERNOR ELECTION
Candidates promise a city free of graft
The Nation

30200816-01_big.jpg
The Anti-Corruption Organisation of Thailand hosts a special event for gubernatorial candidates to express their vision for turning the capital into a transparent and corruption-free city

Outline their policies to combat corruption in talks at special forum

BANGKOK: -- Less than a week before the March 3 Bangkok governors' election, candidates yesterday expressed their vision on how they would rid Bangkok of corruption.

In a special talk to the Anti-Corruption Organisation of Thailand, Pheu Thai candidate Pongsapat Pongcharoen presented four anti-graft measures: instilling morality in young people; second, allowing public participation in the checking of projects for corruption; third, providing mechanisms to check the Bangkok governor; and fourth, establishing two-way communication to permit the public to check corruption.

"If there is corruption in any project while I am Bangkok governor, I will allow checking procedures by the private sector. A governor cannot deny responsibility if there is corruption," he said,

Democrat Party gubernatorial candidate Sukhumbhand Paribatra said he believed transparency was the best measure against corruption. He said that during his governorship, he allowed checks on any project that received corruption complaints.

He said that during his term, opposition to corruption had been ingrained in Bangkok students with a special curriculum called "Growing up with a no-corruption attitude".

Independent candidate Pol General Seripisut Temiyawet claimed an outstanding record for cracking down on corruption.

"I am a corruption buster. I have had a number of achievements in this respect and I am not just offering lip service," he said

To Seripisut, corruption covers other offences like abuse of authority. "When I was police chief, I dealt with corrupt officials who'd allow street hawkers to operate - but when I left my post, they came right back to the streets," he said.

Independent candidate Kosit Suwinitjit said there was no corruption in Singapore because its ministers earned more in salaries than the president of the United States.

He believed having an independent governor was one way to prevent corruption because the governor did not have to take orders from any political party.

He also suggested officials of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administra-tion must be given extra income and bonuses to deter them from finding extra money from corruption.

"But first Bangkok people must first vote for a candidate who allows corruption checks and is willing to step down if they fail to deliver promises or prevent corruption," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-27

A former/recent senior policeman, promising to crackdown on corruption, that wouldn't make him very popular with his old colleagues ! rolleyes.gif

It's shocking that he even participated in an open forum.

Usually he has a fake red Furby standing in for him at debates.

Edited by Buchholz

"If there is corruption in any project while I am Bangkok governor, I will allow checking procedures by the private sector. A governor cannot deny responsibility if there is corruption," he said,

Does anyone remember K Thaksin stating something to the effect that if there was even a hint of corruption in his administration he would not wait for the proof, the person would be dealt with?

I've been trying to find that quote but can't find it yet.

Does anyone remember K Thaksin stating something to the effect that if there was even a hint of corruption in his administration he would not wait for the proof, the person would be dealt with?

I've been trying to find that quote but can't find it yet.

I think he took it with him to Dubai, can't leave something like that just laying around.smile.png

He also suggested officials of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administra-tion must be given extra income and bonuses to deter them from finding extra money from corruption.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AS IF THAT WOULD STOP CORRUPTION! They more they have, the more they want!

Just saw lots of people and a few music bands walk past. Long banner with pictures of the candidates. Couldn't see if only the independent candidates or all 25. Probably the last. Most likely just BMA or Election Commission promoting "come and vote on Sunday".

Still wondering why the first band was playing the (US) Marine Hymn though unless there's a confusion about the Halls of Montezuma and City Hall.

Just saw lots of people and a few music bands walk past. Long banner with pictures of the candidates. Couldn't see if only the independent candidates or all 25. Probably the last. Most likely just BMA or Election Commission promoting "come and vote on Sunday".

Still wondering why the first band was playing the (US) Marine Hymn though unless there's a confusion about the Halls of Montezuma and City Hall.

Was there a red furby with them?

He also suggested officials of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration must be given extra income and bonuses to deter them from finding extra money from corruption.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AS IF THAT WOULD STOP CORRUPTION! They more they have, the more they want!

Correct.

That bit of flawed logic was thoroughly demonstrated with the 2001 general election.

I'm hoping Candidate # 21,Torranee Ritthithamrong, wins.

21-1_zpsef0af737.jpg

There's some serious potential there for quite interesting news.

Edited by Buchholz

What a total crock of shit. Why do they continue to print such rubbish. However the real problem lies in the fact that there are many locals who will buy this and many other who are simply resolved that it is what it is and nothing short of revolution will change the face of Thai politics. Morally, socialy, ethically and sexually, this country is as bent as a nine bob note

A former/recent senior policeman, promising to crackdown on corruption, that wouldn't make him very popular with his old colleagues ! rolleyes.gif

a policeman from the Thaksin Rak Thaksin party promising a crackdown on his masters, hahahaha

Bangkok will be a city free of graft........

and every day will be the first day of spring

and very bird will have a new song to sing..........

And there will be Tom Yum in every pot.

Edited by Pimay1