Retirement Visa-just Renewed

Hey Board,

I just renewed my Retirement Visa in Bangkok and it was so easy; about 30 minutes.

I went to Immigration at Soi Suanplu, went to window #7 in the main lobby, filled out a TM 7 (Application For Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom) paid B1,900 and presented the following documents to an Immigration Officer:

1) Receipt for B1,900; stamped Form TM 7

2) Passport

3) “Pension” Letter certified by US Embassy

4) Bank Book - From My Thai bank

5) Letter certifying balance in my Thai bank account

6) Photo copies of the passport and bankbook-eight pages total

The Officer had me sign and date all photo copies, then stamped my passport with a new 365 day “extension” and had me go to desk #5, same room. That Officer checked everything (less than five minutes) and sent me back to the previous Officer who collected my documents, returned my passport and advising me to be sure to get a Re-entry stamp prior to leaving Thailand. Total time-30 minutes!

I did go to back to the main lobby and filled out form TM 8 (Application for Re-entry Permit to the Kingdom) paid B1,000 for a one time re-entry permit, went to lunch and about 1.5 hours later had my passport stamped with a “Single Entry” permit. For some reason it takes longer for the re-entry stamp than to renew a retirement vise. Go figure. The multiple entry stamp cost B3,800.

In all fairness to Thai Immigration, I was impressed at how easy it was to renew my visa. And by presenting the US Embassy letter “certifying” my pension amount, I did not have to transfer any additional funds or “top up” my bank account (to B800,000.)

Today I am one happy camper!!! :o

I did not have to transfer any additional funds or “top up” my bank account (to B800,000.)

Hi Lancelot,

Congratulations.

Are you Grandfathered at a Lower

Bank Deposit?

Did they require you to have one of the

previous Limits?

200,000 ? 500,000?

Or are you saying you had little in your

account and relied on your Income figure?

I have been asking if anybody has been

able to get an extension on the supposed

"Alternative" of income alone ...

Any insight?

Roger

I did not have to transfer any additional funds or “top up” my bank account (to B800,000.)

Hi Lancelot,

Congratulations.

Are you Grandfathered at a Lower

Bank Deposit?

Did they require you to have one of the

previous Limits?

200,000 ? 500,000?

I have been asking if anybody has been

able to get an extension on the supposed

"Alternative" of income alone ...

Any insight?

Roger

We hear that those in the scheme will be grandfathered...no guarantees of course. You are in a poor position if it is all income and zilch in the bank. Immigration want to know there is something on hand for emergencies.

Roger, Thanks! No, I am not "grandfathered", immiggration just used the certified "pension" letter from the US Embassy. I have a moderate amount in the bank; I was just happy that i did not have to wire additional funds to Thailand.

Dear Lancelot,

I just come back from the Thaï consulate in Paris where my passport has been stamped with the "O" retirement visa and I am very pleased to see, thanks to you, that it is very easy to have it renew in Bangkok..

I will be in Samui "for good" next month.. Does anybody know if it is the same in all Immigration bureau ?

Annie47

My experience over the past 3 years is exactly the same as that of Lancelot, as I am also on a pension, but I no longer need to present the Embassy letter (affadavit). My personal record time is 15 minutes at Suan Plu (I didn't get a reentry and don't want to start a time competition). Last year my bank account had a total of B2,xxx.xx when I got the letter from the bank, as the pension more than meets the requirments. It took about 25 minutes because the there were more people there than there usually are. I am grandfathered at 20K/200K...how long that will last is anyone's guess. If this is Lancelot's first time, then he should be grandfathered at 65K/800K (unless the rules change).

My experience over the past 3 years is exactly the same as that of Lancelot, as I am also on a pension, but I no longer need to present the Embassy letter (affadavit). My personal record time is 15 minutes at Suan Plu (I didn't get a reentry and don't want to start a time competition). Last year my bank account had a total of B2,xxx.xx when I got the letter from the bank, as the pension more than meets the requirments. It took about 25 minutes because the there were more people there than there usually are. I am grandfathered at 20K/200K...how long that will last is anyone's guess. If this is Lancelot's first time, then he should be grandfathered at 65K/800K (unless the rules change).

There's two strong rumours...that those in before July will be grandfathered, the other rumour gathering currency is that there will be no change, and present requirements will prevail. Who knows...T i T

Dear Lancelot,

I just come back from the Thaï consulate in Paris where my passport has been stamped with the "O" retirement visa and I am very pleased to see, thanks to you, that it is very easy to have it renew in Bangkok..

I will be in Samui "for good" next month.. Does anybody know if it is the same in all Immigration bureau ?

Annie47

Hi Annie,

Congratulations on obtaining your retirement visa! I read that different Immigration Bureaus have somewhat different "interpretations" of regulations, but I have no personal experience with that-I've only been to Immigration at Suan Plu (Bangkok.)

Enjoy Samui!

Lancelot

I have a question indirectly related: what is the "Re-EntryStamp" for? Is this simply a permit to leave Thailand then return? And how long is it good for?

If you travel a lot then get a multiple re-entry permit. It is valid for a year and enables re-entries without affecting the actual visa. No permit is required to leave Thailand.

I have a question indirectly related: what is the "Re-EntryStamp" for? Is this simply a permit to leave Thailand then return? And how long is it good for?

If you travel a lot then get a multiple re-entry permit. It is valid for a year and enables re-entries without affecting the actual visa. No permit is required to leave Thailand.

Hi Dr Pat,

I think Re-Entry Permits whether Single or Multi Entry

are only valid to the Leave by date in your

Point of Arrival Entry stamp or any extension thereof ?

Roger

Hi Dr Pat,

I think Re-Entry Permits whether Single or Multi Entry

are only valid to the Leave by date in your

Point of Arrival Entry stamp or any extension thereof ?

Roger

I should have said up to a year...dependent on the date of your extension. Kor tort na krub :o