Anyone Having Downloading/video Streaming Issues On 3Bb Premier?

pluto_manibo

As stated in an earlier post, my 3mb/1mb 3bb Premier package has the full power on all the speedtests but since the last 4-5 days my downloading speeds have dropped 75%, from 1.2 mb to 350 kb. All seems to work fine until you start downloading or watch videos on Youtube. I have called and stopped by their offices many times. They sent their tech, who states the line is fine and running at 3mb/1 mb and the lower download speeds are due to internal wiring in the house, which I know to be untrue......it was running fine for 4 yrs and internet is fast(for this package) until you decide to download or stream videos. Any suggestions? I suspect this to be a local issue, where they are throttling or there is some issue with their lines or servers....anyone else experiencing excruciatingly low download speeds on 3bb lately? Thanks!

Yes, Yes, and yes!!!!... For about 2 weeks now it has just sucked. Sometimes the connection is so slow that I can't even use facebook chat.

I hate 3BB, but I have no choice.

Either their bad service or no service.

Since you say your download speed is fine on speedtests that means your wiring is OK. If you are getting your full 3Mb download speed in speedtests, just because you start downloading/viewing a video that doesn't change the download speed capability, signal-to-noise ratio, line attenuation, etc., and other electrical/physical line characteristics which can cause a speed reduction. Whether that speedtest is running a test to Bangkok server or a faroff US/EU server (or pulling a video from those servers) the internal wiring don't care/can't tell the difference as to whether it's bits and bytes from Thailand or bits and bytes from far off Farang Land. The 3BB tech is full of BS (hope that don't surprise anyone in this case). Now if your speedtesting to local servers has dropped to 1.2Mb on your 3Mb line then you could indeed have a physical line problem...and it could be anywhere between your modem and the DSLAM which may be kilometers away...that is, it could be a funky line/connection hanging on the poles and not necessarily funky wiring within your residence.

If not a line problem, I expect your problem is being caused by too low "international" bandwidth and/or the "international" bandwidth being to "stop-and-go...being interrupted for X-milliseconds during the video." This would mostly likely be a 3BB issue with their international bandwidth and it could be just on your local area circuits. Streaming video requires more than just adequate download speed, it also requires download speed to be fairly steady/consistent/smooth...streaming video hates stop-and-go bandwidth.

In doing speedtests don't use a Flash/OOKLA-based speedtester like Speedtest.net as Flash/OOKLA-based speed testers are easily fooled by local cache servers. Use a "Java-based" speedtester. Flash/OOKLA based testers are fine to speedtests to local servers just to confirm you are getting your full advertised speed on the line, but don't use a Flash-based tester for speed testing to international servers as you stand a good chance of the results showing faster-than-light ping time (like the testing sever is in Bangkok or across the soi) and/or the download speed to that server on the other side of the Earth equaling what you get in a test to an in-Thailand server (bogus international results).

Edited by Pib

Is there any way you can access your modem/routers user interface to get a snap-shot of the line statistics?

In most of the DSL installs (~ 15 currently, ~ 50 over the past six years) I support, albeit on TOT or True (no experience with 3BB) any service degradation - "it worked fine before, recently it doesn't" - is almost always due to a line fault, which could be anywhere between the back of your modem and the serving DSLAM. With True, most faults have been punch-down/splitter (voice/data so not relevant to 3BB) errors in the CO, when a new line is provisioned. However, it is not unusual for me to see street cabs. open, when they should be locked, or all sorts of people leaning bamboo ladders up against the over-head cabling and messing around with it.

post-9615-0-79672700-1362109442_thumb.jp

What I meant to say is that when downloading through Vuze or Utorrent, I would get 1.2mb downloads, now the maximum is 345 kbs (25% capacity), although all speedtests show 3mb/1mb line as normal.....the only real issues are with video streaming and downloading torrents, apart from that service seems normal or just a little slower while regularly surfing the internet!

Edited by pluto_manibo

Is there any way you can access your modem/routers user interface to get a snap-shot of the line statistics?

In most of the DSL installs (~ 15 currently, ~ 50 over the past six years) I support, albeit on TOT or True (no experience with 3BB) any service degradation - "it worked fine before, recently it doesn't" - is almost always due to a line fault, which could be anywhere between the back of your modem and the serving DSLAM. With True, most faults have been punch-down/splitter (voice/data so not relevant to 3BB) errors in the CO, when a new line is provisioned. However, it is not unusual for me to see street cabs. open, when they should be locked, or all sorts of people leaning bamboo ladders up against the over-head cabling and messing around with it.

Hahaha, the Jomtien Beach Paradisw condo switch board...Know it well, probably better then their in-house technicians....

What I meant to say is that when downloading through Vuze or Utorrent, I would get 1.2mb downloads, now the maximum is 345 kbs (25% capacity), although all speedtests show 3mb/1mb line as normal.....the only real issues are with video streaming and downloading torrents, apart from that service seems normal or just a little slower while regularly surfing the internet!

Lots of factors affect your download speed of torrents - the number of seeds and leechers being the main one. Also, I have a feeling but no proof that 3BB are also reducing the number of connections to the Internet from a single computer at some times of the day. So torrents will come down slower.

3BB for sure are throttling international links. Sometimes it takes their throttling software a little time to get going.

I just did 9 test at DSLreports and got these results:

7500 Kb/s down

It's as if once the software detects that you are downloading lots of data from an International site, it kicks in and says "Whoa boy! That's enough of that!"

post-35489-0-41950100-1362117066.jpg

post-35489-0-41950100-1362117066_thumb.j

I downgraded from Premium to Standard after years of griping. The torrents usually run slower but then will run three times faster than they ever did. Figure that one out. Regardless, little if any difference, plus the missus still gets her YouTube girly songs no problem.

I'm in Isaan, Khon Kaen. For the past two weeks 3BB has been a steaming pile of excrement. If it isn't running very slowly (most of the time) it drops out completely.

Edited by lungbing

I seem to have a problem watching YouTube videos (currently on TrueOnline, but the same previously on 3BB.) My workaround is to download the video and watch it offline. The download speed for videos using a YouTube-download extension in Opera, is usually 200-300Kbps which is WAY faster than watching in a browser window. I'd say that about 75% of the time when I watch a YouTube video online (i.e. in a normal browser window) I get buffering problems. But, downloading the video file is fast..

Update! After many unfruitfull calls with 3bb, they at one time acknowledged that there was an issue with the international bandwidth! I still get 3mb/1mb as promised in the package, however torrent downloads are extremely slower then for the past 5 yrs...(345 kbs instead of 1.2 mb download speed on torrents). You tube and streaming is also still much slower. I have never had this issue over the past 5 yrs, all was great apart from a couple service disruption incidents. what has happened? My router, line. computer are all in perfect order....Might be time to switch packages? Anyone else with these issues on the Darkside of Pattaya?

Odd that you have such low speed on torrents. I'm currently on True DOCSIS in Hua Hin, but even when I was in Jomtien on 3BB ADSL, I would get almost full advertised connection speed on well-seeded torrents.

Here's an example of a torrent download using my 15Mbps True DOCSIS:

post-33251-0-27388200-1362790566_thumb.g

Yes, with True's habit of bursting speed, I get well over the paid-for (B900/month) 15Mbps speed! thumbsup.gif