Thai Embassy In Beijing Warns Students Not To Use Brokers

Thai embassy warns against using brokers
Marisa Chimprabha
The Nation

BEIJING: The Thai Embassy in Beijing has warned parents and students wishing to study in China or apply for scholarships to avoid brokers.

The warning follows complaints by an increasing number of Thais who have been asked by brokers for a commission with the promise of finding a school or university but who have failed to do so.

In many cases, the ill-fated students travelled to China but had no place to study, or discovered that the brokers had not paid the tuition fees. Many of them ended up being fined and deported. In some cases, the brokers did not inform students in advance that if they were under 20 years of age, they needed to have a guardian in China. Such students travelled to China only to find that if they did not meet this condition, they would be sent back.

Many Thais sought help from brokers because they could not communicate in the local language and this opened an opportunity for the broker network.

The embassy also emphasised that Thais wanting to study in China must have the proper visa or they would be fined Bt2,500 per day and deported.

Scholarships are not provided through brokers, the embassy emphasised. There are two scholarship providers - the Chinese government's China Scholarship Council, and private companies. The Council provides scholarships to Thai students through the Office of the Higher Education Commission. Students wanting information about scholarships should directly contact the university where they want to study.

The Thai Embassy also suggested that students and those who plan to stay in China for a period of time take out health insurance, as medical expenses in China are relatively high. In Beijing, there are many hospitals and medical clinics that are popular among foreigners. These include Beijing United Family and Clinics, Hong Kong International Medical Clinics, IMC Beijing SOS International and Vista Clinic.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-02

...I worked for the 'former advisor to the Ministry of Education' in her language school....

.she is a professor in a University here....well respected..I guess??? (you know how Thais are with titles....even if you are a monster...she is a Doctor)

...she took 66,000 baht from me.......

...telling me she would get me a Bachelors equivalent from University of Arizona, based on my transcripts and work experience...blah,blah,blah...

...she has been recruiting students for years....

....no one that I approached wanted to pursue this...even suggesting I was the guilty party..

(I guess I paid for her trip to America...over 3 years ago....and got nothing...not even my money back...while she continues her 'operation')

......She will retire eventually.how many houses does one need, anyway.....

......selective justice.....

...I worked for the 'former advisor to the Ministry of Education' in her language school....

.she is a professor in a University here....well respected..I guess??? (you know how Thais are with titles....even if you are a monster...she is a Doctor)

...she took 66,000 baht from me.......

...telling me she would get me a Bachelors equivalent from University of Arizona, based on my transcripts and work experience...blah,blah,blah...

...she has been recruiting students for years....

....no one that I approached wanted to pursue this...even suggesting I was the guilty party..

(I guess I paid for her trip to America...over 3 years ago....and got nothing...not even my money back...while she continues her 'operation')

......She will retire eventually.how many houses does one need, anyway.....

......selective justice.....

And you would have used this phoney bachelors degree from the University of Arizona to get a teaching job and see nothing wrong in that?

• Like 1