Visa Questions (Cm To Laos Or Myanmar?)

Hello, in somewhat of a predicament, would love some advice from the pros!

Came to Thailand on a tourist visa (visa on arrival) which is good for 30 days (until March 9th)

What I SHOULD have done was sign up for language school right when I got here, but alas.. I waited too long. From what I've read it takes anywhere from 2 to 5 weeks to get the paperwork prepared for the edu visa. So now I'm in a bit of a bind.. Curious what my options are?

From what I've read, I can go to Laos and get another 15 days.. come back and hope that the paperwork is ready within the 15 days, then go do another run to come back on the edu visa (and pay the overstay if it exceeds 15 days)

or

Just was told that mae sai may be an option, and it's also closer which would definitely be nice seeing as I have to make the trip again for the edu visa.

Would there be a way for me to get another 30 days rather than 15 with a land crossing in order to ensure that I wont overstay while waiting for the paperwork?

Thanks in advance! :)

The only way you will get a 30 day visa exempt entry is to fly in from another country, 15 days by land, 30 days by air. You could go to a Consulate/Embassy in Laos and get a tourist visa. A single entry will get you 60 days which can be extended for 30 more at immigration for 1900 baht. When the paperwork is ready, you will have to go to an Embassy or consulate, Vientiane or Savanakhet in Laos or another Country, to get the visa. You can not do it at Mae Sai. I would get a single entry tourist visa and if the paperwork is not ready by the end of the 60 days you can extend it for 30 more.

Hi Wayne, thanks for the response! To be clear, I'll be able to go into Laos via Vientiane and get a 60 day single-entry visa for 1900? How long will it take to be processed (overnight?) And the 30 day extension, when you say can be extended at immigration, do you mean in CM?

Thanks a lot for your help :)

You get a tourist visa at the embassy consular section which costs 1000 baht for each entry allowed by visa.

The 1900 baht is for the 30 day extension at immigration. If you are living in CM then that is where you would get the extension done.

A single entry tourist visa is 1000 baht, but you will have to also buy a Lao visa at the border to enter Laos. The cost is different for each nationality, $35 for US, $35 for UK, $42 for Canadian, etc. Upon entry to Thailand you will get 60 days permission to stay which can be extended during the last 30 days at CM immigration for 1900 baht.

Here's the link to the Embassy in Vientiane: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

Edited by wayned

Rather than start a new post I'll add a related question:

I'm in CM and nearing the end of my first of two 60-day visas. Rather than leave/enter from Myanmar/Laos I'd like to extend this one 30 days, stay about 3 weeks, then leave for about three weeks and come back i April on the second 60-day visa I have (valid for use/entry until end of April).

I expect I can do this, if only because immigration will get 1900 baht they wouldn't otherwise, but would like to hear if anyone has experience with this. TIA for your help.

@ UbonJoe & Wayne :

Thank you! Great news, I was under the impression that I would only get 15 days... Ahh I'm overjoyed. clap2.gif

You will have to spend at least 1 night in Laos as you have to submit your application in the morning of day 1 and pick up the visa after 1430 day 2.

One last question.. Visa expires on the 9th, which is a Saturday. What would be the best day for me to go? I know things can get hairy on the weekends.

Also, any recommendations on a relatively inexpensive hotel with wifi in Vientiane?

Thanks!

One last question.. Visa expires on the 9th, which is a Saturday. What would be the best day for me to go? I know things can get hairy on the weekends.

Also, any recommendations on a relatively inexpensive hotel with wifi in Vientiane?

Thanks!

Leave CM for Vientiane by mini-bus at around 7:00 pm on the 6th (overnight transportaion - talk to any local travel agent - there is good door to door service available) drop off visa app on the morning of the 7th, overnight in a hotel, pick up passport in the afternoon on the 8th, head back to CM around 7 pm via Nong Khai, arriving here on Saturday monring around 5am. I stay at the Dousng Deuane Hotel (book it on Agoda), it's around 700 baht, nice old hotel with breakfast, downtown by the river, most of the good restaurants and a really cool bar nearby down the river road..

After taking that over-night mini-bus from hell once I choose to fly to Udon Thani and then zip up to the border from there (about 1 hour shuttle from the airport). Of course, it's not as cheap but the flight is only an hour and if you have the time, you can spend a night or two in Udon Thani to have a look around. DowntownAl's option is the quickest in and out option but if you have the time, make a trip out of it.

Be sure to check the embassy website for holidays. Any Laos or Thai holidays and the embassy will be closed, meaning you'll have to stay in Vientiane longer. Vientiane is pretty boring in my opinion but the best option for visas as you can get a double-entry visa (two 60 day visas for 2000 baht...just have to zip up to Mae Sai after 60 days to activate the second 60 day). Alternatively you could fly to Kuala Lumpur and get a 60 day. Direct flight, and no visa on arrival fee for Malaysia. But no double-entry visa available.

One last tip, have US$ to pay for your Laos visa. If you pay in Baht you'll get raped. Be sure you have a bunch of visa/passport sized photos with you. And, before you go to the Thai Embassy in Vientiane, have photocopies of your passport main page, laos visa, and thai exit stamp. You might as well print off the tourist visa form from their website too so you can fill it out in advance. Oh, and you'll need at least two blank pages in your passport and it must be valid for another 6 months.

Thanks!

You need to be in Vientiane the morning of Thursday the 7th in order to apply for the visa and get passport back the next afternoon. Consular section is not open on weekends.