Shopping Advice Needed. Thanks!

telbut

Hi fellow posters! I'm from Malaysia and will be visiting BKK in 2 weeks' time to do some shopping for my new home (getting married soon!). I would appreciate it if you can advise me where to find the following item at reasonable price:

a) Decorative items for home (eg. nice lamp shades, paintings, sculptures, etc).

:o Carpet/rugs (the kind just nice for a small living room or bedroom).

c) Beddings (good quality bedsheets, pillowcases, etc)

d) A good tailor to do men's shirts.

e) thai mats (for lazing about in front of the tv... made of straw I think)

Thank you so much if you can help!

:D The other can be found in Nana I believe :o As to the rest, try either Chatuchak if you can stand teh crowds or the night market. Good tailors are relatively easy to find. We mostly use Marty's near Nana BTS. So, tailor and totty in one fell swoop :D

Actually, if you go to the weekend market (chatuchak) early in the morning (arrive by 9am) the crowds are not at all bad, but leave by 1pm as that is when it gets obscenely packed. Also, my husband went on a friday afternoon, he said not all shops were open but many were and there was still plenty of selection and not many people.

You'll find nearly everything you need there, except the tailor, of course!

Chatuchak is definately one of the best places and worth a trip, but if you're also looking for a bit more of an 'upmarket' shopping experience, you should try Central Chitlom Department store (on the sky train route). Lovely place (with a great food center on the top floor), but can be expensive (has good sales though). Also Narayapan (sp?) around the corner opposite central World Plaza is items which can be bargained. The night market (Suan Lom) near Lumpini Park is also very nice. Slightly more upmarket than Chatuchak, but prices are still pretty cheap.