Pattaya Drink Prices - Too High!

BoonToong

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my wife has a restaurant/bar just outside of pattaya she sells all small bottled drinks... ie san mig chang tiger etc etc at 55 baht each big leo at 65 baht wine from 80 by the glass she makes a handsome profit on day time opening only so why why why do these bars rip people off there is no need !!!!!

Greed...........

PS, What do you find so outrages about soda being 70 baht?

how about paying 180 thb for a case of large bottles?

You can even buy it cheaper at Macro, might as well enjoy drinking in Macro car park. I heard it tastes delicious when hot

• Like 2

We dont need cheap charlies like u,go out once every two weeks and therest of the month drink at home,very poor if isay so myself.maybe u live in Bangkok

I realize it might be hard for you to understand, but not all people living in Thailand are alcoholics.

Some of us actually work and do not need to be drinking daily at home or elsewhere.

Where i live really has no relevance at all, but if you bothered to use any brain cells, you would have realized where i live and where i work just by actually reading

Edited by lemoncake

Three + years ago, and l am still smarting at going down south for a few days to Dusit Thani Hotel Pattaya, and paying 240 bht for a beer and 350 bht for a glass of Red. Also seeing the place full of very white farags on their hols, fat bubbling in the sun on the sun beds. NEVER again will l venture south. sad.png .

Three + years ago, and l am still smarting at going down south for a few days to Dusit Thani Hotel Pattaya, and paying 240 bht for a beer and 350 bht for a glass of Red. Also seeing the place full of very white farags on their hols, fat bubbling in the sun on the sun beds. NEVER again will l venture south. sad.png .

Fancy place! laundry for a t-shirt is a 100 thb. a burger goes for 350 (very nice though) and the high-end cosmetic victims of the big sukhumvit hospital are suffering with on site service =-)

180baht for a vodka red bull in a shabby beer bar is a rip off.

There are quite a lot of beer bars in Pattaya charging exhorbitant prices that water down spirts and that bill pad and provide generally poor service

That is why most regulars drink in the places they know give good value for money and dont try to rip you off.

If three quarters of the beer bars in Pattaya closed down it would be no great loss.

As for pretty girls in the beer bars they are as rare as hens teeth these days. Most of what is left in the beer bars is the scraps from the bar girls of yesteryear.

It's not a "rip off", it's just expensive. No one is being forced to pay this.

According to Wiki it is a rip-off!

From Wikipedia - A ripoff (or rip-off) is a bad financial transaction. Usually it refers to an incident in which a person is overcharged for something, or receives goods or services not of the standard expected for the price. A ripoff is usually distinguished from a scam in that a scam involves wrongdoing such as fraud; a ripoff may be considered excessive, but not illegal.

And there I was thinking that if I drink in my 'local' I will be fine!

Last night I stopped off at the On Nut market for a couple. As I was sipping my Jack/coke I happened to see the bar staff decanting the contents of a what looked like a cheapo bottle of tequila into another more-expensive looking tequila bottle (the one that has the little red plastic sombrero on it). I drained my Jack (samsong/hong thong) and coke and moved to the next bar. They were trying to be a little bit discreet but weren't being particularly smart about it.

And that, is a scam (fraudulent).

The drinks prices in Pattaya pale in comparison to Singapore, on a recent trip to Singapore i was charged S$66 for two lady drinks and a half pint of Tiger (which is brewed there) I will have nightmares about this for a long time!!!shock1.gif

A year ago in Singapore I paid the "bargain" price of 5 quid a pint for Tiger, in The Sportsman above Harry's Bar on Orchard Road. For some reason it was happy hour all night Tuesday and Wednesday, normally it would be 6.50. It was the only place I had a drink in, so I don't know the going rate for bars in Boat quay etc. Buying two lady drinks in Singapore without checking the price first really is stepping into the unknown, presume this wasn't four floors.

Back to Pattaya, Soi Yamato with it's "shophouse" bars averages from 50 baht for a small Chang to 70 for a Heineken. No live music, entertainment will generally be provided by the bar owners. whistling.gif

Out on 2nd road last night around soi 3 /4 area.

80 Baht for a small Leo but the music was quite good, so i did not grumble. In fact we had a good night in there (Toi Bar).

A bar a little further down the road with a band I've not seen for over a year playing, 85 Baht for a small Leo. I feel that is starting to take the p*ss especially on 2nd road when I can get beer and music for less on Beach road itself. We had 1 beer each in there, we left and went back to Toi Bar. Will not be back to the other bar at those 85 Baht prices.

The other obvious difference was in the amount of customers. Toi Bar was busy. The other one at 85 Baht had maybe 3 customers in it.

The drinks prices in Pattaya pale in comparison to Singapore, on a recent trip to Singapore i was charged S$66 for two lady drinks and a half pint of Tiger (which is brewed there) I will have nightmares about this for a long time!!!shock1.gif

A year ago in Singapore I paid the "bargain" price of 5 quid a pint for Tiger, in The Sportsman above Harry's Bar on Orchard Road. For some reason it was happy hour all night Tuesday and Wednesday, normally it would be 6.50. It was the only place I had a drink in, so I don't know the going rate for bars in Boat quay etc. Buying two lady drinks in Singapore without checking the price first really is stepping into the unknown, presume this wasn't four floors.

Back to Pattaya, Soi Yamato with it's "shophouse" bars averages from 50 baht for a small Chang to 70 for a Heineken. No live music, entertainment will generally be provided by the bar owners. whistling.gif

At the Boomerang Bar in Boat Quay I was paying 15 sing for a small Corona ie 375 baht last year.

But for a shabby beer bar in Pattaya I dont expect to pay top dollar.

Many beer bars deserve to go out of business and the sooner the better as they provide poor service, water downed spirits and inflated beer prices.

The good thing about Pattaya is that you go to places like Gullivers where you can get decent service in nice surroundings and reasonable drink prices so no need to frequent the beer bars unless they are offering good service and good value for money.

I cant really see how putting the beer on my table can be good or bad service,

there is really only one way to do it, namely place it there

Of course there is a difference. Staff can be polite, helpful, reliable, efficent well groomed etc which all make for better service.

On the other hand they can be lazy, rude, slow, unkempt, unhelpful and they can pad the bill or water down the spirits etc

• Like 1

Hmm, only place that differed from all other that i can recall was kiss resturant i think the name was, on 2nd rd/soi diana, where the staff looked in any other direction when i wanted to pay and leave.

But i havnt seen any difference at all in all gogo i've been to, lest i count more intimate service

There are quite a lot of beer bars in Pattaya charging exhorbitant prices that water down spirts and that bill pad and provide generally poor service

That is why most regulars drink in the places they know give good value for money and dont try to rip you off.

If three quarters of the beer bars in Pattaya closed down it would be no great loss.

As for pretty girls in the beer bars they are as rare as hens teeth these days. Most of what is left in the beer bars is the scraps from the bar girls of yesteryear.

From Wikipedia - A ripoff (or rip-off) is a bad financial transaction. Usually it refers to an incident in which a person is overcharged for something, or receives goods or services not of the standard expected for the price. A ripoff is usually distinguished from a scam in that a scam involves wrongdoing such as fraud; a ripoff may be considered excessive, but not illegal.

So it's purely subjective then. One man's "rip-off" is another's acceptable price.

Either way, it's amazing how high prices in Thailand anger so many, when they can be found the world over.

So it's purely subjective then. One man's "rip-off" is another's acceptable price.

Either way, it's amazing how high prices in Thailand anger so many, when they can be found the world over.

Think you'll find they annoy people the world over it's just that on this forum the discussion is about Thailand.

• Like 1

Went to TQ yesterday afternoon. 100 baht San Mig. 130 baht Lady drink. More than worth it. Air condition, cute girls, great service and reasonable prices. Not an everyday thing but fun occasionally. For me not overpriced for what you get.

Stopped going to Bangkok (nana , cowboy est ) 4 years ago when the prices got silly now I go to pattaya

Never go to walking street total ripp off

Up to 2 years ago used to drink on drinking street ( 2nd road past big C) until prices went up and the 500 bt bar fine was introduced

Would not even dream about going Phuket any more

Now I stay around new plaza bowcow and sometimes soi 7 or 8 but I'm just waiting for the day these places go stupid and drive me out of pattaya altogether

I never drink farang brand spirits as I know they have probably been watered down

My point is after many years here I know all the pit falls and rip offs but the newbe striat off the plane is going to get a nasty shock. The bar owners and and other rip off joints just don't seem to realise they are shooting them selfs in the foot time and time again,how many first time tourists will be back

Stopped going to Bangkok (nana , cowboy est ) 4 years ago when the prices got silly now I go to pattaya

Up to 2 years ago used to drink on drinking street ( 2nd road past big C) until prices went up and the 500 bt bar fine was introduced

Now I stay around new plaza bowcow and sometimes soi 7 or 8 but I'm just waiting for the day these places go stupid and drive me out of pattaya altogether

I never drink farang brand spirits as I know they have probably been watered down

My point is after many years here I know all the pit falls and rip offs but the newbe striat off the plane is going to get a nasty shock. The bar owners and and other rip off joints just don't seem to realise they are shooting them selfs in the foot time and time again,how many first time tourists will be back

They aren't, that is what's called business. They don't care how many first time visitors will return, as there are every day new first time visitors.

I have currenly friends here for their first time, and touring Thailand with an organised tour, and just the other day they told me that Thai food was so delicious and cheap. When asked what they called cheap they said that so far they had paid an average of 800 Baht a person for dinner. And that was without drinks.

Oh and by the way, if this trend goes on, I'm sure I will meet you soon when exiting a 7/11.

They aren't, that is what's called business. They don't care how many first time visitors will return, as there are every day new first time visitors.

I have currenly friends here for their first time, and touring Thailand with an organised tour, and just the other day they told me that Thai food was so delicious and cheap. When asked what they called cheap they said that so far they had paid an average of 800 Baht a person for dinner. And that was without drinks.

Oh and by the way, if this trend goes on, I'm sure I will meet you soon when exiting a 7/11.

Who can afford a 7/11. Archa has just gone up from 39 to 42 baht.

• Like 1

Prices are going up in many places in Thailand without an increase in quality, infrastructure or service standards so there has to be a tipping point at some time. What is the point in paying western or near western prices in Thailand ?

Prices are going up in many places in Thailand without an increase in quality, infrastructure or service standards so there has to be a tipping point at some time. What is the point in paying western or near western prices in Thailand ?

Er, maybe the beaches, the food, the girls.... Why do some people expect Thailand to be some kind of cheap paradise?

Er, maybe the beaches, the food, the girls.... Why do some people expect Thailand to be some kind of cheap paradise?
That is why many came to Thailand in the first place isnt it?
  • Like 1

Yes I agree also, have seen an alarming jump in the prices of most things, food, drink, etc. Living in Jomtien, at the moment, just had a few beers with a friend last night, SML 80 bht, over the top. HOwever, at another bar up the road, it was 50 bht all day, so guess where I will go for a drink?

I think prices are starting to reflect the recent increases in the 'basic wage' increase?

Yes I agree also, have seen an alarming jump in the prices of most things, food, drink, etc. Living in Jomtien, at the moment, just had a few beers with a friend last night, SML 80 bht, over the top. HOwever, at another bar up the road, it was 50 bht all day, so guess where I will go for a drink?

I think prices are starting to reflect the recent increases in the 'basic wage' increase?

And how fewe of those working in the bars are getting a basic wage increase.

One bar I frequent used the staff wage increases as an excuse to raise their prices by 10%. Yet when you talk to the staff they are not getting a wage increase and they are still nowhere near the so called minimum wage.

Granted, the wage increase will affect production and transport costs and some will pass that on.

£2 a bottle for a small, ordinary beer in an average bar seems way over the top to me.

Be suprised if any of the girls get the minmum wage!

Plenty of bars in Jomtien with reasonable prices.

In Pattaya however they are getting harder to find.

I just stay in Jomtien, cheaper and more relaxed.

If you can read Thai just have a look at some of the signs outside these places.

If you cant, here goes from my last observations, wanted staff now, cooks, cashier, serving staff, wages from 6-8k per month.

At these wages is it any wonder they cant recruit or retain staff?

I would suspect many are being paid less than the basic wage increase you mention.

Also not mentioned, the 300 baht per day was for Bkk only, cant remember what it is for Chonburi but a quick internet search would answer that one.

Personally I believe these price increases you mention are a result of some of the two week millionaire dreamers being unable to perform a quick what if scenario on Excel before diving head first into opening a bar for their tee rak.

Just because you tee rak worked in a bar doesnt imply she has any business sense, if she had she wouldnt have been there in the first place.

Too many bars chasing too few customers.