Sudden Hair Loss/shedding

sidsebastian

Hi everyone: I'm writing to solicit some views/comments re: my unusual sudden hair loss. I'm in my late thirties and for the last one month, I have suffered sudden hair loss/shedding on the top of my head. Prior to this, I have a fairly thick hair and I only noted the top shedding a couple of weeks ago. I saw a dermatologist over the weekend and she diagnosed my condition as 'adrogenic alopecia' which is a pattern baldness and is genetic (considering my father also suffered from hair loss) and/or hormonal in nature. She said and I've read as well that one main cause of hair loss is stress. She recommended a shampoo, Biotin capsule and a 5% Minoxidil scalp lotion to taken for a month's time. The only thing I could identify as main culprit of this is (physical) stress. I mentioned to her that for the last couple of months, I've been doing 70-minute runs on the treadmill, 2-3 times a week, burning about 500 calories each run. My weight now stands at 59 kilos. After each run, I get really exhausted/stressed out and would require me to recover for a day and will run again the following day. And I must admit, my diet has perhaps not been enough to replace all the nutrients/calories lost during my runs and this can be immediately noted with some weight loss (from 62-63 kilos). However, I don't feel any wrong with me apart from this sudden hair loss. I have not been to the gym for almost a week now, just trying to rest and stay away from strenuous activity. Initially, I thought the hair loss is a result of some allergic reaction or some liver problem.

I've recently came across another term, 'telogen effluvium' which is a form of hair shedding which causes the hair to enter a resting/telogen phase and caused by several factors including stress. However, the hair loss/shedding is temporary in nature and will grow back after a few months when the main cause has ceased. My case seems to fall under this category and I really hope it is. I'm planning to get some blood test and/or biospy this week to be sure that there are really no hidden problems.

I'm getting panicky as the shedding seems to be continuing to spread and I fear I would be bald in the next couple of weeks. I'm now thinking of going to the barber and have the whole thing shaved off. But I still want to understand the situation the fact this happened so suddenly. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Any useful inputs would be appreciated.

Regards,

Sid

Edited by sidsebastian

I remember when I started losing my hair in my 20's it was horrible, I soon learned to live with it, instead of becoming obsessed I shaved it all off, David Beckham then copied me! Lol I can understand your worry, I am sure there is nothing seriously wrong, if this is the case except the inevitable and join us good looking men!!

I remember when I started losing my hair in my 20's it was horrible, I soon learned to live with it, instead of becoming obsessed I shaved it all off, David Beckham then copied me! Lol I can understand your worry, I am sure there is nothing seriously wrong, if this is the case except the inevitable and join us good looking men!!

I have seen some very wealthy and health obsessed men go bald, so figure out there is nothing out there of any credibility.

i know on guy who had implants , but needs to go back every month and get the grass looked after - thats alot of time sitting in a chair every month

You should have a thyroid panel (TSH, T3 T4) doen especially if you are also feeling sluggish in the mornings or have noticed a drop in overall energy.

Hair loss can sometimes be related to hypothyroidism.

If that is rules out, I would go with what dermatologist advises.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone: I'm writing to solicit some views/comments re: my unusual sudden hair loss. I'm in my late thirties and for the last one month, I have suffered sudden hair loss/shedding on the top of my head. Prior to this, I have a fairly thick hair and I only noted the top shedding a couple of weeks ago. I saw a dermatologist over the weekend and she diagnosed my condition as 'adrogenic alopecia' which is a pattern baldness and is genetic (considering my father also suffered from hair loss) and/or hormonal in nature. She said and I've read as well that one main cause of hair loss is stress. She recommended a shampoo, Biotin capsule and a 5% Minoxidil scalp lotion to taken for a month's time. The only thing I could identify as main culprit of this is (physical) stress. I mentioned to her that for the last couple of months, I've been doing 70-minute runs on the treadmill, 2-3 times a week, burning about 500 calories each run. My weight now stands at 59 kilos. After each run, I get really exhausted/stressed out and would require me to recover for a day and will run again the following day. And I must admit, my diet has perhaps not been enough to replace all the nutrients/calories lost during my runs and this can be immediately noted with some weight loss (from 62-63 kilos). However, I don't feel any wrong with me apart from this sudden hair loss. I have not been to the gym for almost a week now, just trying to rest and stay away from strenuous activity. Initially, I thought the hair loss is a result of some allergic reaction or some liver problem.

I've recently came across another term, 'telogen effluvium' which is a form of hair shedding which causes the hair to enter a resting/telogen phase and caused by several factors including stress. However, the hair loss/shedding is temporary in nature and will grow back after a few months when the main cause has ceased. My case seems to fall under this category and I really hope it is. I'm planning to get some blood test and/or biospy this week to be sure that there are really no hidden problems.

I'm getting panicky as the shedding seems to be continuing to spread and I fear I would be bald in the next couple of weeks. I'm now thinking of going to the barber and have the whole thing shaved off. But I still want to understand the situation the fact this happened so suddenly. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Any useful inputs would be appreciated.

Regards,

Sid

The same exact thing is happening to me, I just noticed it about 3 weeks ago. I just purchased Novovech, but I'm not confident that it is going to work. I think I need Minoxidil. Do you have a dermatologist in Bangkok that you can recommend for this.

Minoxidil is an over the counter medication here. Tesco Lotus at Praram 9 (in Bangkok) sells a cheap Thai sourced 5% Minoxidil called Reten 5 at 230B for 30ml-this is the only place I've seen this brand, haven't found it even at other Tesco branches.

I use it on my bald spot, but for me it's more a superstition or lucky amulet rather than an effective treatment as I have noticed zero effects in a year - ah vanity!.

The compound is known to be more effective on some people than others though, so you should give it a try.

Edited by partington

Just go to any Pharmacy and ask for Propecia tablets (Finasteride). It's expensive although you may find generics but far more effective than topical shampoo. That said I would use both and given the shedding has just begun and that it the crown and not hairline this would be the ideal time to counter it and keep your thatch!

This happened to me (at 37) as a side effect of a steroid course and I had full regrowth within 6 months. Don't stress!

AFAIK finasteride does not come in a shampoo, only tablet form. Need to be very careful re dosage as only the 1 mg dose is recommended to treat male pattern baldness, the 5 mgs are for people with prostate disease.

Dear Sid

Would you pls advise what shampoo the dermatologist recommended, and why that one?

Thanks

I saw a dermatologist in Sukhamvit hospital. She said that my scalp is irritated, probably from chemicals in shampoo / conditioners.

She gave me some medicine to help stop the itching on my scalp.

She also gave me a shampoo called Harrogate. (I asked her if she could recommend a conditioner, but she said with this shampoo a conditioner is not needed.) I can continue to purchase Harrogate at the hospital, or she said if I want to buy a shampoo from a pharmacy, she recommened Hair Regro.

She also said that the Novovech I was trying, can irritate the scalp further.

She said my hair should grow back in two weeks.

She also stated me on Finasteride, which she said I should take for years to help prevent any future genetic hair loss.