Swede Dies In Crash On Koh Phangan

Swede dies in car crash on Koh Phangan
BY ANDERS HOLM NIELSEN

KOH PHANGAN: -- The Swedish man who was in his 30′s died Sunday after being involved in a serious accident in the holiday paradise of Koh Pha Ngan in Thailand.

Swedish Foreign Ministry confirmed that a Swedish man from central Sweden has been killed in a traffic accident, but can not provide any more details. According to Aftonbladet the Swede who was the father of a two-year-old son hit lamppost when he was on his way to a store on a moped.

“He broke his neck and died instantly,” said a relative to Aftonbladet.

Every winter, tens of thousands of Swedes traveling to the warmth of Thailand and Koh Phangan.

Source: http://scandasia.com/swede-dies-in-car-crash-on-koh-pha-ngan/

-- ScandAsia 2013-05-04

Didn't know. R.I.P.

Sadly here the only source of news is the hearsay, Thaivisa, Facebook and not so much more.

Surely we need a serious info/newspaper/internet source

Source was the Swedish press.

What I mean is that here in KPG (and in Samui too) most of time you don't have any knowledge of what happen, such as a local chronicle, but we have to pick up the (bad) news here and there, and a big part passed over in silence or just unmentioned

didn't becki try that?

in many cases it would be as simple as reporting what appears on thee police blotter daily.

unfortunately i suspect there is no police blotter.

......the Thai on the motorcycle...westerner was to blame.....

.....westerner.......nobody to blame....any witnesses...would they even come forward against their own kind.....skid marks....

..........my, my.........this is scary.............westerners die....... it is their fault........always

The man stayed at our resort and I can say that the information from Swedish press is not accurate. What is true is that the person died instantly after losing control of his bike in a corner that has many accidents. The rescue worker told me it has been over 20 deaths in that corner over the years. He died instantly and he left a grieving girlfriend and brother on the island. I have read the police report and there was no sign of intoxication. I have talked to the rescue center, seen the pictures of the accident and talked to the witnesses on the location and everything verifies that's a single accident where the driver lost control in that corner, and the body flipped up on a electrical pole and killed him instantly.

Daniel

There is no "corner" where he hit the lamp post. It is a straight road.

......the Thai on the motorcycle...westerner was to blame.....

.....westerner.......nobody to blame....any witnesses...would they even come forward against their own kind.....skid marks....

..........my, my.........this is scary.............westerners die....... it is their fault........always

I hope you were drunk when you wrote that. Should you always be like that, please find some help.

RIP Swede, you were too young to go.

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Dies in car crash, when he was on way to store on moped ??????

Where is a "car" mentioned? whistling.gif

Post #1

Posted Yesterday, 07:23

BY ANDERS HOLM NIELSEN

Dies in car crash, when he was on way to store on moped ??????

Where is a "car" mentioned? whistling.gif

Post #1

Posted Yesterday, 07:23

BY ANDERS HOLM NIELSEN

Ok Ok, it was the way the article was initially translated for God's sake, not a major issue.

• Like 1

Sadly too many foreigners come to the island, rent motorbikes without any real knowledge of driving and then have accidents. Happens on a daily basis. Sad for this man and his family that he was killed but people need to remember that if they don't really know how to drive its best to just not rent a bike.

• Like 2

Having witnessed so many deaths and crashes on the roads if samui , and friends being killed , I personally won't ride a bike on samui ... Remember it's not if you will have a crash but when .. Whether it is your own fault through drink driving or being hit by another road user

Life is priceless , so spening the extra few thb on a taxi ect can save your life or huge hospital bills

The surprising part of all of this is the roads could be made safer, propert public transport implemented , police catching drink drivers ect ect ... But I don't think it would happen and the same story as above will be repeated week in week after , and it's a shame as riding on the roads here on a bike can be a death sentence

• Like 1

Having witnessed so many deaths and crashes on the roads if samui , and friends being killed , I personally won't ride a bike on samui ... Remember it's not if you will have a crash but when .. Whether it is your own fault through drink driving or being hit by another road user

Life is priceless , so spening the extra few thb on a taxi ect can save your life or huge hospital bills

The surprising part of all of this is the roads could be made safer, propert public transport implemented , police catching drink drivers ect ect ... But I don't think it would happen and the same story as above will be repeated week in week after , and it's a shame as riding on the roads here on a bike can be a death sentence

Nice post, not Samui related, happened on KPG.

Nice post, not Samui related, happened on KPG.

not samui related. nice dismissal.

this apparently did happen on phangan, but dead is dead.

i personally prefer to rent a jeep, not for my own sake, but for my kid.

having scraped up many, i would venture that when driving pissed, one should drive slowly, but better yet not at all.

however, for many, avoiding the taxi proves to be a false economy and tragedy ensues..

the death of a local is always a sad wake up, but usually locals survive with a few scrapes and it is an inexperienced tourist that eats it.

sorry to read this, but, sadly so often you can see it coming

Edited by candypants

On this topic, there are some serious (new) pot holes on major roads on Samui, a new one just after Kandaburi coming from Chaweng. It will surely throw you off your bike. Another one on Chaweng Beach road before new Central construction. Be safe!