International Carnet For Thai Vehicle

Don't know if you can get one fir a vehicle, but contact them and find out!

For further inquiry and information, you may contact the Customs Call Center at Tel. 1164 or the Customs Clinic at Tel. 02-667-7880-4, Fax. 02-667-7885, e-mail: [email protected]. Additional information may also be obtained from Customs ports of entry/exit. Please consult our telephone directory for a Customs office near you. The listing can be found under the “CONTACT US” section.

Yes you can get them for automobiles... Have done for Red Bull racing team ...

Also for import into Thailand it is also possible, as have done for show cars for motor show and also helped bring in a bunch for a road rally before as well

Although if importing into Thailand, then the carnet would be done at the origin country

If exporting from Thailand, then carnet is issued on this end. Where are you going to and for what length I time and what is the purpose?

As not all countries are signatories to the Ata Carnet agreement and not all countries that are signatories will allow for all 4 authorized purposes

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Edited by CWMcMurray

Is it a show car, or just your personal car? If it's your personal car and you are trying to avoid duties then I think that you are SHOL!

It is the international carnet for the temporary import of a private vehicle, the whole point is it proves you are not trying to avoid taxes as they shouldn't be applicable.

Sounds like a great trip. I'm jealous.

I think you will likely find the most accurate information by researching some of the blogs and websites done by others doing overland RTW trips. You will find lots of them if you do some googling. A major one for RTW bikers is http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

Several years ago I was seriously contemplating doing something along those lines. Unfortunately it never materialised but I did quite a bit of reading and what sticks in my mind is that Carnets are rather complicated. Generally speaking, you have to put up a bond equivalent to the value of the tax that would be applicable should you fail to export the vehicle. Obviously that amount varies depending on where you are going but it can be in the region of 300% of the vehicles value. Can be some serious money though it does depend where the carnet is issued - The British AA (used to, at least) offer an insurance in lieu of the bond and I think in Australia you only need to put up 50% of the liable amount.

Though Thailand does officially recognise carnets, I'm not sure that they can be used for vehicles. I have a couple of friends that did a RTW on bikes. One with a UK registered bike and the other from Aus. They both set off from Europe and finished in Thailand. Though both had carnets, Thailand didn't need or want them. There is a temporary entry system for the vehicle and it is marked in the riders passport, but no money changes hands.

The good news is that many people manage to do their trips without having a carnet at all. But you really need to carefully research the current situation in each country your planning to enter. Just because they do or don't officially recognise carnets may not reflect the true situation.

Oh, one more thing. Australia is a major pain in the Asre to ship a vehicle to. It has to be cleaned with a toothbrush and even then will almost certainly have to be fumigated on entry plus inspection fees. Not cheap.

Sorry, I know my long story doesn't answer your question about Thai issued carnets but I have to say that it would be an enormous leap of faith for me to hand over a slab of cash to Thai customs expecting to get it back.

At present the impression I'm geting is that Indonesia may not have signed the ATA agreement but still need one to get in - they seem to ask 200% of the vehicle's value as guarantee.

Same here. All the RTW biker stories I've found say that you do need a carnet for Indonesia. Here's one.

http://www.wheezyrider.com/2009/11/getting-to-indonesia-with-wheels.html

Another report I read said that you could have a carnet issued by the Automobile Association of Malaysia even if the vehicle is not registered there. This seems to support that. It was also suggested that getting the carnet from Malaysia was the cheapest option.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tripplan/paper/carnet-de-passages-en-douanes-list-of-countries

At present the impression I'm geting is that Indonesia may not have signed the ATA agreement but still need one to get in - they seem to ask 200% of the vehicle's value as guarantee.

Same here. All the RTW biker stories I've found say that you do need a carnet for Indonesia. Here's one.

http://www.wheezyrider.com/2009/11/getting-to-indonesia-with-wheels.html

Another report I read said that you could have a carnet issued by the Automobile Association of Malaysia even if the vehicle is not registered there. This seems to support that. It was also suggested that getting the carnet from Malaysia was the cheapest option.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tripplan/paper/carnet-de-passages-en-douanes-list-of-countries

Interesting - I'll follow up the Malaysia thing. Found the other pages already........

Bank warranty - I have friends in Indonesia - I might try to sort it that way.

At present I shall investigate all options.

I had a carnet on my U.S. registered motorcycle for traveling through Africa and the middle east.

The U.S. does not issue carnet's for vehicles - Americans obtain a carnet from the Canadian Automobile Association.

So it would be reasonable that if Thailand doesn't do it, then Malaysia may be providing this service for Thais.

It cost a few hundred dollars - I had to pre-pay $300 - for the processing fees with the Canadian Auto Association (which included an express mail delivery to me in Argentina, and express mail of my refund) - but when I returned my 'completed' carnet - all stamps (in and out) in order, I got my full deposit back, plus slightly less than $100 of the unused pre-pay.

samran - that site is new to me and very interesting.

QD - Yes - it looks like their are 2 main issues here

1 - getting a carnet

2 - Is it going to help me get into Indonesia..........as people have done it, it clearly is possible.

• 4 weeks later...

Thai Chamber of Commerce... Contact details are at the very bottom

http://www.thaichamber.org/userfiles/file/ข้อมูล%20ATA%20ภาษาอังกฤษ%2023_05_11.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Thanks - I'm involved in various other bits and bobs at present and have been going round in circles a bit. I have been doing some work with a government department that I thought might be able to help but it seems it was outside their sphere of influence.

I've spoken to a few people who have entered the country in a vehicle and it seems that the carnet will help even though they aren't a signatory....insurance is another problem.....but i'll cross that bridge later...........

funnily enough quite a few people say that CAMBODIA was very easy, a country I had almost written off.

I'd like to get into Vietnam too but hear they want LHD.......via Laos the coast is actually very close.

I drove twice from Germany to Sri Lanka overland obtaining a Carnet at the Automobile club in Germany. All countries including Sri Lanka accepted the document. I finally obtained an import permit to the vehicles paying the Import duty in Sri Lanka and flew back. I am coming to Thailand for a 2 year stay while my wife works as a teacher.

Who knows the formalities if I bring my left hand driven Vehicle that I use in Germany to use during the two year period and take it back? I was toying with the idea of driving, but after looking at the political situations of the countries I need to cross, I have changed to shipping.

Would the Thais accept the Carnet for 2 years?

What would a 2005 Corolla cost in Bangkok? Just an alternative idea....