Affirmation Of Freedom To Marry Document Question..

zyphodb

Hi people,

I am getting "officially" married here, I am British & have no permanent home in the UK any more so I'm going to put my Thai home address as my permanent home on the above form & take it to the British Embassy in Bangkok. My possible problem is, I have had to get my Wife to write the address in Thai on the form as there is no English translation of it. Does anyone know if this is likely to cause a problem bearing in mind that Iv'e then got to get the whole thing Translated into Thai anyway?

Thanks Will2011 my problem with this is that I have an English keybord on my pc/tablet etc so would have a bit of a problem posting it :~)

Thanks TommoPhysicist I can do that, but are the Thai translators going to translate "Wentworth road, Barnet Hertfordshire ok? because Iv'e heard of Amphore's rejecting the affirmation on the grounds of the English address not being translated into Thai properly.

On a similar vain would anyone by any chance have an address of a certified Thai translator near the British Embassy who, hopefully would charge 1 K Baht or less to do it???

Thanks Will2011 my problem with this is that I have an English keybord on my pc/tablet etc so would have a bit of a problem posting it :~)

Thanks TommoPhysicist I can do that, but are the Thai translators going to translate "Wentworth road, Barnet Hertfordshire ok? because Iv'e heard of Amphore's rejecting the affirmation on the grounds of the English address not being translated into Thai properly.

On a similar vain would anyone by any chance have an address of a certified Thai translator near the British Embassy who, hopefully would charge 1 K Baht or less to do it???

It don't matter.

First you have to use a Ministry approved translator.

Second The Ministry have to stamp it as 'approved'

Thirdly nobody at the Amphur office can read a word of English script, so how would they know it it was correct or not.

The amphur office aren't going to go head to head with the Ministry.

Nobody is going to write to any address on the bit of paper.

Ok thanks for that TommoPhysicist soundz logical, has put my mind at rest, so the only possible stumbling block left is finding an approved translator that isn't gonna "stitch me up like a kipper"......

Ok thanks for that TommoPhysicist soundz logical, has put my mind at rest, so the only possible stumbling block left is finding an approved translator that isn't gonna "stitch me up like a kipper"......

Translation should be about 300 Baht per page, MoFA stamp 200 Baht per page, British Consulate Standard letter 2,250 Baht (Nov 2011)
  • Like 1

Congatulations on your forthcoming wedding.

The agents surrounding the embassy charge you for something you can do yourself.

A bit of legwork and research, it's also very rewarding to know you did it all yourself.

Who gives a sh_t about rewarding. These folk will sort it and the MAIN thing is they know the staff. Noooooooooooo problems, noooooooooooo worries and done in little time, though 2 days is needed. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The agents surrounding the embassy charge you for something you can do yourself.

A bit of legwork and research, it's also very rewarding to know you did it all yourself.

Who gives a sh_t about rewarding. These folk will sort it and the MAIN thing is they know the staff. Noooooooooooo problems, noooooooooooo worries and done in little time, though 2 days is needed. thumbsup.gif

And save yourself a small fortune, i hasten to add .

And save yourself a small fortune, i hasten to add .

Cost them about 10K, start to finish, whats that 200 UKP to keep a smile on your face for 2 days. thumbsup.gif WHICH, is what a weeding day should be like. smile.png

as beano2274 said get the translation done at the MFA, there are plenty and they do it all the time, also if there are any problems they are right there to sort them out.

thats the route i took, the only rip off is the embassy charge.

all the best

Thanks for the input people, getting it translated at the MFA sounds best for me as I don't mind heading out to Don Maung & saving myself agency fees, We are already married from the village wedding as far as we're concerned we're just making it official for visa's etc. we have a sister & Brother-in-law in Nakon Pathom who we always stay with when we're in town so we'll do all the running around on one day & drag them along to their local Amphoe to witness it on the next, then it's back to Issan to finish house building & have a big party when that's done & ahoneymoon by the sea after I think....

Again thanks for all the helpful comments...

Hallo all, Just to tell you what I did in the end,

I went to the British Embassy with my form & my last UK address on it, paid 3120 Bhts for the privilege of having them confirm it. (robbing B*%-x!**ds), had a translator's runner ask me across the road from the embassy, which I went with as the fee was only 200 Bht,

Then caught the Skytrain to Mo Chit for 40 Bht & took a Taxi from there to the Ministry near Don Maung 95Bht.

Got my Affirmation & Translation stamped for 800 Bht & a 3 hour wait,(they have a good cafe there) Caught another Taxi back to Mo Chit BTS station 105 Bht gave up for the day & went to stay with the In-Laws in Nakon Pakhom for the night, then went to Nakon Pakhom Amphoe with them as witnesses on the next day & got married for 522 Bhts including several photocopy's of various documents which I had to go & get from a different part of the building for 2 Bhts a side,

So the total cost, not including snacks & drinks was 4882 Bhts of which the lions share was grabbed by the British Embassy (bunch of rip off merchants)

I hope this might be of help to somebody else & thanks for the advice everyone...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for bull dozing this thread but I have a UK Expat friend who was recently divorced from a Thai lady and He is now getting married to another Thai lady.

The question is will he need a new "Afirmation of freedom" to marry the new lady

Thanks for the quick reply evadjib, just a bit more information, He was divorced actually at the amphur He was previously married in at Pattaya a month ago, so even though He has a recent divorce certificate issued in Pattaya He will still need a new "Affirmation" from the BE in Bangkok to get married to his new lady?

Many thanks once again

Thanks for the quick reply evadjib, just a bit more information, He was divorced actually at the amphur He was previously married in at Pattaya a month ago, so even though He has a recent divorce certificate issued in Pattaya He will still need a new "Affirmation" from the BE in Bangkok to get married to his new lady?

Many thanks once again

-

Since that's what the bureaucrat's rulebook says that's what he'll want to cover his butt, logic has nothing to do with it.

In short - yes.

I got divorced from my first Thai wife in 1999 and remarried the next one in 2005. All done at the Amphur in Pattaya.

All they required was my original divorce decree, No affirmation was required. YMMV

Many thanks once again

-

Since that's what the bureaucrat's rulebook says that's what he'll want to cover his butt, logic has nothing to do with it.

In short - yes.

FunFon, 25 posts a day since 12 March - this is not your first time here, is it ? biggrin.png

Another Groundhog day....................

-

Deep dude, one of my all-time favorites, in fact just watched it again last week, and my first son completely memorized the whole script twenty years ago.

IMO a perfect illustration of the four noble truths and eight-fold path, how we have to earn the right to truly be happy by giving up our idiotic selfishness.

But a bit OT for this thread, if not this forum . . . wai.gif