Warning For Folks Who Have Cats Or Your Family Back Home Does.

I got a warning from FB. Keep them away from lilies. Cats are highly allergic to the pollen. An FB friend confirmed one of her RL friend's cat became really ill after sniffing a flower. It is potentially fatal.

Pheew. For a second there i thought you were joking with your OP Mr.Mosha...smile.png i couldn't place FB nor RL.rolleyes.gif , seriously.. Had to look it up.

Seriously..Has it been scientifically proven that this lily harmed the cat? Or was this a 1 time incident..

Edited by Dancealot

OUCH! Wikipedia:

Toxicity

Some Lilium species are toxic to cats. This is known to be so especially for L.longiflorum though other Lilium and the unrelated Hemerocallis can also cause the same symptoms. The truemechanism of toxicity is undetermined, but it involves damage to the renal tubular epithelium (composing the substance of the kidney and secreting,collecting, and conducting urine),which can cause acute renal failure.

Pheew. For a second there i thought you were joking with your OP Mr.Mosha...smile.png i couldn't place FB nor RL.rolleyes.gif , seriously.. Had to look it up.

Seriously..Has it been scientifically proven that this lily harmed the cat? Or was this a 1 time incident..

Killed 3 cats in the UK, it's in the newspapers. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2289569/The-Valentine-bouquet-killed-cats-Mothers-Day-warning-lethal-lilies.html, and there are others papers too.

I think Wikipedia is clear enough no??? sick.gif

I think Wikipedia is clear enough no??? sick.gif

Ugh Ugh... certainly nosick.gif t. Too many times i hear too many conflicting tails. Hard to keep track of whats really going on these days.

So that's why inquired and also because i care about cats.

Thanksthumbsup.gif

Killed 3 cats in the UK, it's in the newspapers. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2289569/The-Valentine-bouquet-killed-cats-Mothers-Day-warning-lethal-lilies.html, and there are others papers too.

Dailymail suffices to me in the case of reliability, and therefore I /quote:

"The mother of one, who works as a gardener, said: ‘The flowers were a lovely Valentine’s surprise from an ex-partner."

/enquote

He must have really hated her... cats. Poor cats..

Edited by Dancealot

• 2 weeks later...

Poinsettias are also poisonous to pets if they eat them. Seen some growing outside recently big as trees (which surprised me as I've only had potted ones for holiday). I've always had to be careful with what houseplants I have as my cat enjoys eating green things.

Here is a list from the ASPCA: "Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Cats"

Good link. where's like button gone?

Edit. h'mm it's reappeared.

After going very fast through this list I'm wondering that there are still so many cats around in LOS!

Weeping

Fig !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

True Aloe

Rose

of Sharon

Poinciana

!!!!!!!!!!!

Peacock

Flower

Mother-in-Law’s

Tongue

Morning

Glory !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lemon

!!!!!!!

Lantana

!!!!!!!

Impala

Lily

Indian

Rubber Plant

Hibiscus

!!!!!!!!

Good

Luck Plant !!!!!!!