Wlan 54 Mbps

Petch01

Hi guys,

I've a WLAN 54 Mbps router. Data is WPA encryted. When I transfer data from my LAN-connected desktop to my WLAN notebook the transfer speed is only 6 Mbps. Is this normal? If so, what's the reason for this low speed?

Thanks in advance.

Petch01

54mbps is the "ideal" speed, which will only occur if there is no interference, the devices are very close to each other, the devices are very compatible, you worship the devil, there is a convergence of Saturn and Jupiter, and hel_l freezes over.

In other words, you probably will never get 54mbps. I think it was shown before that the typical speed for wireless-b was around 2mbps, and for wireless-G (the one you're using) was around 10mbps. There are some devices which support speed boosting (108mbps devices), but those require that both devices use the exact same protocol, and even then you'll probably only get slightly better than 10mbps.

The new a/b/g devices (found on some new core duo notebooks), with cisco extensions, supposedly allow you to be able to connect to two access points at the same time, allowing double the speed.

Firefoxx, thanks a lot for your information.

Petch01

There's also a lot of overhead in the communications process such and handshaking, packet verification, etc. that brings the average transfer rate way down.

There can be contention if someone else in your area is in the same channel.

The sw on your notebook may show you other "available" signals in your area

and the channel they are using.

You could then adjust your router to use a different one.

Another "sniffer" programme is Net Stumbler.

Useful if you want to know what is what as you travel around.

Edited by astral