Wife Of Abducted Human Rights Lawyer Demands Action By Thailand's D S I

webfact

Human right lawyer's wife demands action by DSI
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Reacting to the Department of Special Investigation's activity in processing "political cases", Angkhana Neelapaijit, wife of human rights lawyer Somchai who was abducted by police officers in 2004, has written an open letter to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra calling for progress in her husband's case.

"I am writing this letter to you as you are the highest leader of the country and as you are in charge of DSI. I want to bring to your attention the ineffectiveness and unwillingness of the government and DSI to solve the case of Mr. Somchai.

It is too obvious that in recent time, DSI has simply been concentrating on political cases, particularly cases against the opposition party while neglecting and not giving proper attention to cases that affect ordinary people, even though they are victims of human rights abuse perpetuated by government officers who side with the government," she said in the letter.

The prime minister is the ex officio chairperson of the Committee on Special Cases.

"I previously wrote to ask the Minister of Justice, Pol Gen Pracha Promnok regarding progress in the investigation of Somchai's case. He gave me a one-page summary prepared by DSI indicating that there has been no progress in the investigation or bringing the perpetrators to justice. This is despite the case having been handled by DSI for eight years," she said in the letter.

Angkhana reminded Yingluck in the letter of the prominence of Somchai's case, which garnered significant domestic and international attention.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-11

The following quote from the article explains why there is no movement in the case

"wife of human rights lawyer Somchai who was abducted by police officers in 2004"

Also Thaksin was PM of Thailand at the time and all his pals are affiliated with the BiB

Doubt very much if Yingluck will be too eager to move this case along.

The following quote from the article explains why there is no movement in the case

"wife of human rights lawyer Somchai who was abducted by police officers in 2004"

Also Thaksin was PM of Thailand at the time and all his pals are affiliated with the BiB

We'll have to wait for the next phone call or Skype from Dubai before she makes a statement........if she ever does.

This doesnt help either..........

Thai lawyer and human rights defender Somchai Neelaphaijit disappeared on March 2, 2004. At the time of his disappearance, he was representing clients from southern Thailand’s minority Muslim community accused of participating in an attack on an army depot.

However, since Yingluck has promised to make womens issues a priority and the southern peace talks are going so well one would think this issue is topical enough to make it a priority.

Edited by waza

For those not familiar with the case [and maybe even those who are] may I suggest taking a look at the link below. There is a case overview and a trail report which makes for chilling reading.

http://www.humanrightsfirst.org/our-work/human-rights-defenders/thailand/somchai-neelaphaijit/

I have always taken the view that this case is a benchmark of the failures of the elected TRT government. It created an environment where clearly people felt that they could take extra-judicial actions assured of protection from above and a lack of focus in prosecution [which so far has held true].

From the article, "The inquiry into the disappearance and apparent killing of the prominent lawyer and human rights defender, Somchai Neelaphaijit cannot be separated from problems endemic to the Thai legal system, and in particular to deteriorating human rights conditions in southern Thailand. A culture of impunity for violations by state officials, increasing insecurity for human rights defenders, escalating violence in the south involving state forces and the minority Muslim population, and a loosening of rights guarantees due to overly broad anti-terrorism decrees have all undermined the rule of law in Thailand."

No need for further comment, as much as I'd like to!

-mel.

• Like 1

Thai policeman acquitted over missing lawyer

BANGKOK, March 11, 2011 (AFP) - A Thai appeal court on Friday acquitted a police officer accused of involvement in the disappearance of a prominent Muslim human rights lawyer in 2004.

I guess that will be then end of it.

She will only get some action if it can be twisted to 'Abhisit did it'

Totally incorrect. It will be enough to indicate that obviously k. Abhisit is "responsable" for it rolleyes.gif

Yesterday Thai Visa posted an article on the prevalence of rape in Thai society (men raping women). No mention of how many rapists have been convicted or punished, but I think the answer is fairly clear. A human rights activist gets "disappeared" and the Government does not conduct a serious investigation. A few days ago, Thai Visa posted another article about an environmental activist who was executed (while getting his car repaired). If you substitute the environment for women, and human rights for women, you can say that Thailand really allows it's vulnerable population and resources to get f***ed.