Can I Get An International Drivers Licence In Thailand (Australian Licence Holder)

So lets say we put this in reverse

First of all i know yu would need to hold a Thai Lisc in the required category. So lets say i hold a drivers licsense in both countries but only a bike licsense in Thailand

? is - Could i get an International bike licsense in Thailand for the foriegn country

First of all i know yu would need to hold a Thai Lisc in the required category. So lets say i hold a drivers licsense in both countries but only a bike licsense in Thailand

? is - Could i get an International bike licsense in Thailand for the foriegn country

So you get IDP bike in Thailand, IDP car in foreign country.

You would have to check with the country you are going to visit, many threads on this, I would say from what I last understood in the UK Thai bike license is not excepted but a 5 year Thai car license is for up to 1 year.

A valid full license for a car from you own country would be excepted up to 1 year in the UK as well.

A country that does not show English on it's license usually will require a IDP ( international drivers permit)

I know that Thai International Driving Permits are available for cars. I hold a five year Thai licence, but do not know to obtain a IDP and the question has not been answered above. Any know the answer please? Oink

Edited by Oink

I know that Thai International Driving Permits are available for cars. I hold a five year Thai licence, but do not know to obtain a IDP and the question has not been answered above. Any know the answer please? Oink

You can obtain one at your local DLT.

You can obtain one at your local DLT.

Not so sure about that depends on the country he wants to go and last I heard was you have to go Bangkok to get IDP but TiT and things are always changing as we know.

IDP's based on Thai license can be obtained, but afaik only issued in Bangkok and you need to hold a 5 year license.

No idea what they would do if only holding a bike license, but I assume if you hold both bike and car license, your IDP would be endorsed accordingly.

• Like 1

I had a South Aussie license for car and bike for many years, then I got a Thai 5 year car and a 5 year bike license on separate plastic cards. If I return to Oz won't they recognise my previous SA license as well as my current Thai licenses?

I "think" the Aussie Embassy in Bangkok does a IDL for Oz licenses,

As an Aussie, I have a Thai DL, went to North America recently and rented a car from Avis for a week using the Thai IDL and original license.

Got a slightly strange look, but no problems.

• 1 month later...

This is a slightly different twist to this thread, I'm afraid......... My UK licence expires later this year and I have discovered that a UK citizen cannot renue the licence if he/she lives abroad. So I will no longer have a UK licence. I also understand that an IDP issued in the UK is not valid for use in the UK !

So........ it seems I need to get an IDP issued here in Thailand whilst my UK licence is still valid. I am applying for a Thai drivers licence during the next few days and hope that I can also get the IDP...... which I trust will be valid in the UK. One problem seems to be that IDP's are valid for only 12 months.

Has anyone had experience of this sort, please ?

This is a slightly different twist to this thread, I'm afraid......... My UK licence expires later this year and I have discovered that a UK citizen cannot renue the licence if he/she lives abroad. So I will no longer have a UK licence. I also understand that an IDP issued in the UK is not valid for use in the UK !

So........ it seems I need to get an IDP issued here in Thailand whilst my UK licence is still valid. I am applying for a Thai drivers licence during the next few days and hope that I can also get the IDP...... which I trust will be valid in the UK. One problem seems to be that IDP's are valid for only 12 months.

While driving in the UK you don't need the IDP, your Thai license if sufficient.

While driving in the UK you don't need the IDP, your Thai license if sufficient.

Thanks for that " Titanium Member " . Makes things easier.

You will not get immediately an IDP in Thailand, even converting from your UK license. You will first get a "temporary" license valid 12 months. When this temporary license is expired, then only you will be able to request a five-year license and an IDP.

You will not be issued an IDP based on your 1 year Thai DL, you need a 5 year Thai DL, so you have a year to wait, and yes IDP's are valid for 12 months at a time, and yes an IDP issued in the UK cannot be used in the UK.

Seems a bit of confusion as to what an IDP is...its a "legalised" translation of your current valid DL...it is not a drivers license and its only valid as long as your current DL is valid, it doesnt replace a vaild DL

You will not be issued an IDP based on your 1 year Thai DL, you need a 5 year Thai DL, so you have a year to wait, and yes IDP's are valid for 12 months at a time, and yes an IDP issued in the UK cannot be used in the UK.

Seems a bit of confusion as to what an IDP is...its a "legalised" translation of your current valid DL...it is not a drivers license and its only valid as long as your current DL is valid, it doesnt replace a vaild DL

" Seems a bit of confusion as to what an IDP is ".

Always a bit of a grey area, basically the reason for IDP is for persons living in countries that do not have any written English of what type of vehicle entitlement they can drive etc etc on their licenses.

e.g. If say you have an old UK license with no picture you need an IDP.

Futher info below, if you are tourist or not etc.

If your license from your country has your picture and information all in written English you only have to check with the country that you are going to drive in to find out if it requires an IDP because a translation of the English maybe required.

The only way to do this is ask at the countries Embassy in question.

As for Thailand :-

MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT (Thai Law)

Section 42

• Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver licence.
  • The driver must carry the driver licence and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request.
  • This does not apply to those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.
  • If the driver is an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence specified in the Section 42-2.
  • In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver licence, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Section 42-2

• In case there is a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver licence, an alien who does not have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorised by such a foreign government.

Once you obtain a non-immigrant visa or establish you are a resident (such as enrolling kids in school, buy a car etc,) and are no longer a toursit, you need a Thai drivers licence as your national license and international driving permit is only legally accepted if you are a tourist. Several insurance companies have fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered after a certain amount of time in Thailand. And as they say " It's up to you " laugh.pnglaugh.png

Edited by Kwasaki