Good Books For Learning English?

Temp

Maybe this is not the perfect forum but I thought it was the closest thing. Sorry if this is one of those questions that are asked weekly, but I do not have a connection to Internet yet, and my time online is very limited.

I looked at a large number of books last night with my girlfriend but it was difficult to find a course that would satisfy both her needs and satisfy what I think a good course should include.

What I would like is this:

1. The book has to explain english grammar.

2. The course has to include either a workbook or CD's with writing excercises.

3. It would be good if the book tought standard phonetics instead of using thai script as phonetics.

I think it confuses a number of thais more than it serves to use thai script and that it would be

easier to separate pronounciation if using regular international phonetics.

4. My girlfriend would like to have what is written (explanations, examples, stories......) written in

both thai and english.

Easy? Now which one to buy.:-)

I have also been asked if I could tutor a man and his son in english. Does anyone know any good material that could be used for this?

Thanks.

For grammar, try the "Grammar In Use" series- you can pick it up at any of the English-language branches of Kinokuniya (esp. Emporium, where I know they have it). Several levels.

For pronunciation, the usual conversation books assume a kind of European background and don't use phonetics- they do have CDs, though- things like Interchange, etc. Same bookstore.

I've never taught vocabulary at the level to be doing phonetics, so although I'm sure there are some standard textbooks, I don't know the names of any. Check the same shelf at Kinokuniya and I'm sure you'll find some.

"Steven"