Breaking Into Teaching - Seeking Advice

I've been living in Thailand for three years working as a software developer. My contracted ended here and I want to stay in Thailand long term, so I am thinking teaching might be a good avenue to explore.

My qualifications: I have an Executive MBA from a top 30 school in the United States. I also have 10 years of senior management experience in a Fortune 500 company back in the United States. Finally, I have about 5 years experience in corporate education teaching business skills. No, I don't have any teaching certs or taken the TOFL exam.

I have been offered a full-time English professor job at a well known university in Thailand. The pay is 35k per month with an apartment on campus for 15 classroom hours of teaching per week. Weekends, summer vocations, and holidays are paid time off. My reservation is a.) I think I would be better utilized teaching Business or Technology courses, b.) they want me to clock in on campus in the morning and checkout in the afternoon Monday through Friday, even on days I'm not teaching. (the policy has something to do with being available for 30 hours a week even if I'm only in the classroom 15.) Seems to be a lot of accountability for 35k per month.

So, the above is definitely an option, but I'm hoping I can do better. The ideal would be a University level teaching opportunity with 10-15 classroom hours per week teaching Business or Technology related course My priorities are work permit and lifestyle over pay since the majority of my income still comes from contract software development.

So, if you can read between the lines, the real money is in doing software development contracts remotely, but I want/need a work permit to be somewhat legit here and therefore willing to teach 15-20 hours a week. Sure, I could get an ed visa, but I rather make money than spend money. Any advice?

Yeah I think this might be a very good offer. I haven't worked in the University sector but my impression from four years in a private upcountry, bilingual school is that my management is not driven by any issue of quality but simply quantity and control. They want me in everyday at 0730 and to stay until 1600. In fact they get very excited about this - we scan in using a finger system and our management print out the results for an academic year; they bind the sheets into nice books and can tell us that we were late on 70 occasions...... I've never had any form of discussion with my management about, for instance, improving English learning outcomes. Rather my management see me as akin to a shelf stacker at Tesco Lotus and their approach appears to be how to get more for less.I earn reasonable money so I have learned to lump it and in truth I enjoy the classroom experience and working with the students. In real terms you won't really know what the job will be like until you are actually doing it but I rather fancy your bosses will not be too keen on you using their time and facilities for non-work activities. I should also add that in my school a teacher has just lost his contract because he didn't have a bachelor's degree.I think there may have been other issues here but this gave the management a reason and they used it. So tread carefully.

• Like 1

IJWT is right

In an English Program of a Private school you can make

twice that 35K or more for the same 15 hrs teaching IT.

But it will be a huge adjustment teaching Thai HSchoolers.

Their behavior and other matters will make it a challenge

you may not enjoy. Talk to several EP teachers about

this before you try to find such a job.

As an IT consultant there are ways to form a company and

stay here. Sunbelt Advisors is a good source for the ins and outs

of this option

Good Luck

IJWT is right

In an English Program of a Private school you can make

twice that 35K or more for the same 15 hrs teaching IT.

Good Luck

What's an example of such a school? Are you talking about some place like Siam Computer?

He is talking about say Bangkok Christian College, or similar.

I would just never do the 8 hours a day for 35k. Never. That comes to about 6 bucks an hour. I see your point, but I would just refuse if I was OP. Those University positions are a joke if you ask me. They promise "prestige". Wow. thanks. I get prestige. Sure, you can get clients with one of those gigs, but that means working those extra hours. Anyway, that is my take on the job "opportunity" offered.

Why not work part time? Maybe even substitute for a good agency. That way you'd get your permit/visa and work very little I would think. For your circumstances it seems ideal.

Sounds like a good offer for teaching general English with pretty much no TEFL experience/training.

Signing in/out can be a pain, but you won't know how serious they are about it til you get there.

E.g. My contract says be at school from 8am - 4pm, but everyone just signs in in the morning then buggers off during the day if they have large breaks between classes. No one comes back to sign out in the afternoon, we just do it the following morning when we sign in.

Likewise, if you want to do your own work from the university I'm sure they won't mind, so it should work in well.

Being within the university you'll be "in the loop" to hear about any business classes which you might be able to teach. Which, as you say, would be a more effective use of your time.

Mate, with your work history and experience I would not settle for the job you have mentioned.

I don't know what kind of funds you have behind you... but to me it seems you have the skills/experience to set up some kind of consultancy business dealing with training people in business English/international business etiquette etc.

You are clearly a bright guy, I think you should think outside of the box on this one.

• Like 1

it boils down to the fact you have a reasonable job on offer.. that could lead to a higher income on private classes and possible connections..

You have to start somewhere. with no immediate experience this may be a good idea..

Don't forget if you go the high school root or international school you then need to get a teachers licence ( a degree in education or pass the 4 tests) not ideal.

Bm said about consultancy work. That could come from teaching in the University. And you have a Lot more spare time. Sure you may have to be there. But you can do your own thing at the same time.

Have fun.

Ohhh don't forget when test time comes around you will be writing and scoring the tests. So your contact hours will include some no contact hours.

Edited by thaicbr

Mate, with your work history and experience I would not settle for the job you have mentioned.

I don't know what kind of funds you have behind you... but to me it seems you have the skills/experience to set up some kind of consultancy business dealing with training people in business English/international business etiquette etc.

You are clearly a bright guy, I think you should think outside of the box on this one.

No way to start a revolution here or anything, but to get these Thai "universities" actually up to par, they obviously need to be increasing the pay. Qualified people taking these jobs only exacerbates the problem, but that is their choice, I have no problem with it. I just don't know how these universities get away with it is all; but, the more power to them I suppose.

Think about it though. If a few universities raised tuition/fees considerably, and paid teachers well, and hired nothing but quality teachers, the entire system would get a huge boost overnight. It isn't rocket science to get some really good programs going, but I guess it all comes down to the almighty baht. A teacher who has taught a course more than a couple of years is only at that point really starting to find the sweet spot in my estimation, and that hardly ever happens here because there is no incentive to stay. I personally think the quality is here, but the lack of pay creates the turnover, which is a huge problem.

Edited by isawasnake

Don't forget if you go the high school root or international school you then need to get a teachers licence ( a degree in education or pass the 4 tests) not ideal.

Could you say more about this, or point me to a thread where it's discussed? What are these four tests? I was under the impression that the degree was mandatory, no ifs, ands or buts. I recently told a friend of mine who wants to come here but has no degree (well, an associate's) that it'll be near impossible for him to find teaching work.

Being a teacher is a responsibility itself. In addition, it's a profession. Would you become an electrician just because someone offers you a job in this field und you've swapped light bulbs at home? Does anyone here ever honestly consider his qualifications when it comes to TEFL?

Edited by ragamuffin

Being a teacher is a responsibility itself. In addition, it's a profession. Would you become an electrician just because someone offers you a job in this field und you've swapped light bulbs at home? Does anyone here ever honestly consider his qualifications when it comes to TEFL?

Effectively, you agree with me. Don't take a 8 to 4 job that pays 35k. To answer your question though, yes i'd take the job if it paid well and they wanted me.

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

Attrayant, your advice is mostly good. I wouldn't *recommend* that anyone without a degree try to start a teaching career here- but that doesn't mean it's impossible or illegal. Gets easier further from Bangkok. Not necessarily sustainable into the indefinite future.

I'd suggest that the OP gets an Ed visa and does more online software development. Although the hours seem low, you need to factor in time for commuting, planning, assessment and endless meetings - it will really sap the online work. But you may as well try and see.

Could you say more about this, or point me to a thread where it's discussed? What are these four tests? I was under the impression that the degree was mandatory, no ifs, ands or buts. I recently told a friend of mine who wants to come here but has no degree (well, an associate's) that it'll be near impossible for him to find teaching work.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/620210-teaching-in-thailand-what-you-need-to-know/

• 2 weeks later...

Teenagers make over a half million baht per year working fast food? I'm going to need a cite for that.

And how did you get $30 per day? The OP mentioned 35,000 baht per month. There are about 20 work days in a month - maybe less after you factor out all the holidays.

Enjoy your 30 dollar a day pay. Teenagers make like 10 bucks and hour working at In and out burger, perhaps tripling your salary considering benefits lol. To each their own.

UMMM. good job YOU didn't take a job as a Math lecturer .. It works out over $200 a day.. For a 20 hour week (including extra work..test's etc).. AND free accommodation.

oh and its " 10 bucks an hour"

Thank you all for your thoughtful feedback and advice. I've accepted the position. By the end of summer I'll know if this is something I want to do long term.

Good luck.. Also remember. Just because the University is supposed to be about teaching and learning... sometimes they are not..it can be a headache.. but easy to get used to.

Hopefully someone can give you some tips about how to handle the phones and tablets.

Maybe like this.