Gatso's In Thailand?

The MIB will not like this one bit!! - this in todays Nation:

Firm offers traffic gear for share of fines

A private company is prepared to invest Bt3 billion to install a high-technology traffic device nationwide in exchange for half the traffic fines, its managing director Nithikorn Piama said yesterday.

The idea was greeted enthusiastically by a traffic police chief who said, however, that the share of the fines would have to be negotiated.

Tenix Traffic Solutions (Thailand) Co Ltd has offered to invest Bt3 billion to install its Safe T Cam speed-detection device and Axis Red Light Cameras nationwide if the Royal Thai Police and the government were interested in signing a long-term contract with the company, giving it 50 per cent of the fines, Nithikorn said.

Traffic Police Commander Maj-General Panu Kerdlappol said he agreed with the idea in principle, but to let a private company run the scheme and receive half the fines would require an amendment to the traffic laws.

"If implemented, conflicts between the police and motorists would be reduced," Panu said, adding that the requested share would be difficult to manage.

Currently 50 per cent of the fine goes to the municipality or local administrative organisation, while 30 per cent goes to the officer who made the arrest. The remainder goes to related units supporting the arrest, Panu said.

"If we give half to the company, the officer and those supporting the arrest would get nothing," he added.

Deputy Commander Colonel Somsak Pathumrak said he agreed with the idea of installing the high-tech devices nationwide, but said amendments to the law would take a long time.

He said city police had installed traffic light cameras and other devices to detect law-breaking motorists in the city's 30 main intersections. He said they would come into use next year.

Nithikorn said Safe T Cam had a laser to detect speed at a distance and infrared to detect it at close range and could be installed in cars or be hand held. The 12-million pixel Axis Red Light Cameras had sensors that would detect cars going through a red traffic light and record all vehicles using the intersection, transmitting images to the Traffic Control Centre via high-speed internet.

The devices had been used in Australia, the United States, the United Kingdom and New Zealand, Nithikorn said.

He said the company has also developed a payment system to help people pay their fines by phone, counter services, post and the Internet.

vandalising Gatso cameras has become an underground activity for gangs of youths in the uk, they steal dynamite from quarry's and explode the boxes.

good luck to them!

more at : http://www.speedcam.co.uk/welcome.htm

Yeah, same in Holland.

Burn, blow up, paint, cut down, they fill them with PU foam, one even got filled with concrete!!. If anyone saw 'Clarkson meets the neighbours' he did a short piece on Gatso killing.

The MIB will not like this one bit!! - this in todays Nation:

Firm offers traffic gear for share of fines

A private company is prepared to invest Bt3 billion to install a high-technology traffic device nationwide in exchange for half the traffic fines, its managing director Nithikorn Piama said yesterday.

The idea was greeted enthusiastically by a traffic police chief who said, however, that the share of the fines would have to be negotiated.

Tenix Traffic Solutions (Thailand) Co Ltd has offered to invest Bt3 billion to install its Safe T Cam speed-detection device and Axis Red Light Cameras nationwide if the Royal Thai Police and the government were interested in signing a long-term contract with the company, giving it 50 per cent of the fines, Nithikorn said.

Traffic Police Commander Maj-General Panu Kerdlappol said he agreed with the idea in principle, but to let a private company run the scheme and receive half the fines would require an amendment to the traffic laws.

"If implemented, conflicts between the police and motorists would be reduced," Panu said, adding that the requested share would be difficult to manage.

Currently 50 per cent of the fine goes to the municipality or local administrative organisation, while 30 per cent goes to the officer who made the arrest. The remainder goes to related units supporting the arrest, Panu said.

"If we give half to the company, the officer and those supporting the arrest would get nothing," he added.

Deputy Commander Colonel Somsak Pathumrak said he agreed with the idea of installing the high-tech devices nationwide, but said amendments to the law would take a long time.

He said city police had installed traffic light cameras and other devices to detect law-breaking motorists in the city's 30 main intersections. He said they would come into use next year.

Nithikorn said Safe T Cam had a laser to detect speed at a distance and infrared to detect it at close range and could be installed in cars or be hand held. The 12-million pixel Axis Red Light Cameras had sensors that would detect cars going through a red traffic light and record all vehicles using the intersection, transmitting images to the Traffic Control Centre via high-speed internet.

The devices had been used in Australia, the United States, the United Kingdom and New Zealand, Nithikorn said.

He said the company has also developed a payment system to help people pay their fines by phone, counter services, post and the Internet.

Ah the great Thai system - sureley this would need to go our to tender????

I got caught by one of those speed cameras in the US once, and recieved a ticket in the mail. I think they are a good thing, and a good deterrent, but they need good publicity, and good signage, so people are aware of them, and modify their behavior.

I hope it works!

I got caught by one of those speed cameras in the US once, and recieved a ticket in the mail. I think they are a good thing, and a good deterrent, but they need good publicity, and good signage, so people are aware of them, and modify their behavior.

I hope it works!

Agreed.

BUT

My gripe with Gatso's in the UK is that many (most) are positioned for maximum revenue generation as opposed to positioning for road safety reasons.

IMHO, a correctly installed Gatso will never get triggered.

vandalising Gatso cameras has become an underground activity for gangs of youths in the uk, they steal dynamite from quarry's and explode the boxes.

good luck to them!

Yeah, same in Holland.

Burn, blow up, paint, cut down, they fill them with PU foam, one even got filled with concrete!!. If anyone saw 'Clarkson meets the neighbours' he did a short piece on Gatso killing.

Hi

I am told a cheap & effective way of dealing with them is a "Soweto Necklace"

For those of you unfamiliar with the term, thats an old tyre carcass draped around the offending camera filled with petrol and standing well back, ignited.

Promptly ruins a couple of grands worth of tax payers camera, which is not such a good idea but boy do you feel better :D if you have been caught by it a few times!! :D

TBWG :o

I hope it works!

Work in Thailand, are you kidding

good luck to them!

Nothing wrong with a bit of m.a.d :o

Those Bristol cameras are about a mile from my house. They have a normal gatso, then the tall one on a post and then sometimes they have a speed camera car after that, and sometimes before those cameras, so in theory you could speed for 2 miles and be banned, nice :D

Most of these damm cameras in the UK are calibrated wrongly also the cameras the police use, there was a tv programme on the subject also it has been in the press, but what the h e l l can you do, when you do get a fine, no tel number or contact details, these damm people have got you by the balls, it is another typyical british rip off.

Most of these damm cameras in the UK are calibrated wrongly also the cameras the police use, there was a tv programme on the subject also it has been in the press, but what the h e l l can you do, when you do get a fine, no tel number or contact details, these damm people have got you by the balls, it is another typyical british rip off.

Well on the mobile guns the police carry or the dash mounted ones they have in their cars, they have to be calibrated.

Now this is a true story. My mate was travelling on the A303, down by the andover area, he was going a touch on the fast side, roughly 100mph on a dual carriageway, stupid yes but his mum had just been taken into hospital and he was rushing to get there. Anyway he goes past plod who are standing by the side of their car leaning on the roof with their camera. About 3 miles down the road they catch up and pull him over. He explains the circumstances for driving at such speed, but they werent interested. So he asks to see the calibration certificate for the gun, which in this case was stuck on the side of the gun, surprise surprise, the gun was 2 months over its due calibration date.

This is where camera phones come in really handy, he took a photo on his phone and sent it to me straight away. He was still given the ticket but went to court, and he walked away with no fine and no points. Lucky him, but i wonder how many more people had been caught with this gun in those 2 months, and i wonder how many contested the calibration of the gun or how honest were the police to refund money!!!! :o