Samui Crash Course: Show Me Your Stuff Experts!

I'm very sorry but I don't have time to do searches and such. Straight to the point:

I lived on Samui for a while but haven't been in 20 years.My current knowledge is limited and I have a very close friend who suddenly decided to go and is there now. I am asking for basically anything and everything that could make his week better but specifically:

* Cool bars and good restaurants.

* A tailor (and the approx. price of a suit).

* Accommodation (has some now but maybe someone knows a better place than Chaba Resort?)

As always I'd be very grateful for anyone who could take the time to give me some rapid response with pretty much any info at all.

For Restaurants just pick up a dining guide (red booklet) anywhere, for bars depends what you like, the bar at W resort is cool, so is Six Senses, so is 9 Gems, other bars are Solo, QBar etc.

Tailors there are plenty, there is another thread running somewhere else ( I usually use "Timmy" but then again, I dont get things made every year).

Resorts in Chaweng are also plentyful, try Baan Samui which I believe is in same range as Chaba, a bit more expensive would be Poppies, Buri Rasa, Kanadaburi.

Thank you very much,

Seems my query was possibly too broad and/or too stupid to bother with for most - or else the Samui forum is just less helpful to newbies than others...well,can't say I blame people for ignoring it. It was worth a try though!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

• Like 1

Cool bar is very subjective and there is a pinned thread for restaurants etc. I've not had anything made by a tailor and I don't know the resort you mention.

Best bar/ restauran for me is http://www.facebook.com/DaisysGardenRestaurantandBar . Owner/ chef is an old friend and very good cook (Nakhon Si Tammarat). Standing menu is tiny but she can knock up most things you would expect to see upon asking. I order the previous evening because I know what she keeps in the kitchen so would not be able to make it if I turn up with a couple of friends such as a certain kind of steamed fish, blue soft shell crab in curry powder or sour yellow fish curry.

With regard to the bar aspect... If you're looking for scantly clad girls pole dancing or music so loud it makes your teeth rattle then it's not for you. If you like talking and meeting people then it is.

What is a cool bar? Tailor? no idea, living on Samui and you need none

Double breasted pure wool. Y'know, just something to wear around the island.

Double breasted? Oh a suit, you had me worried then.

Cool bar is very subjective and there is a pinned thread for restaurants etc. I've not had anything made by a tailor and I don't know the resort you mention.Best bar/ restauran for me is http://www.facebook.com/DaisysGardenRestaurantandBar . Owner/ chef is an old friend and very good cook (Nakhon Si Tammarat). Standing menu is tiny but she can knock up most things you would expect to see upon asking. I order the previous evening because I know what she keeps in the kitchen so would not be able to make it if I turn up with a couple of friends such as a certain kind of steamed fish, blue soft shell crab in curry powder or sour yellow fish curry.With regard to the bar aspect... If you're looking for scantly clad girls pole dancing or music so loud it makes your teeth rattle then it's not for you. If you like talking and meeting people then it is.

Obviously it is subjective. I thought I'd let people apply their own criteria. For me it's good music (subjective again but not pounding repetitive soulless electronic that some people love) a nice decor (subjective again but for me it's stylish but comfortable) and a nice "vibe" (fug knows what that is but I know it when I feel it - subjective!)

I don't think my friend is even a bit interested in teeth rattling music and I KNOW he's not looking for scantily clad girls.

Thanks very much indeed.

There are about 50-100 hotels better than the Chaba nowadays. What is a cool bar? Tailor? no idea, living on Samui and you need none

I don't know - what do YOU think it is?

The person who needs a tailor won't be living on Samui; neither he nor I are thick enough to think one is needed on the island (I don't think I ever saw any suits worn when I lived there even at fancy dos in 5 star resorts) but the ARE tailors there who can make suits.

I think also, that regular Samui forum member don't need suits, accept for diving, so ask someone, who won't be living on Samui, maybe a....tourist.

ok, seriously, a very nice hotel and ways above the Chaba is the Library. And so is the Briza, or the Anantara Lawana.

But honestly if you want detailed advice, why didn't you specify what you want?

There are plenty of Internet resources you could use that take 5 minutes to look up, and would proive specific direction to your taste.

You say Samui forum is less helpful, but none of us are mind readers nor tour guides. Despite that you can take my advice in the spirit given. :-)

Internet resources? I thought this was one. In the past, I have found ThaiVisa to be an excellent internet resource - up until this request, I've always been overwhelmed by people in various sub-forums doing their best with my questions. Other resources often don't have the advantage of giving me detailed knowledge based on experience from actual residents rather than adverts or accounts/ reviews from (real or fake) tourists.

I don't expect detailed advice. It's not me that's there so it's not about what I want but I thought residents or frequent visitors might have some ideas - as detailed or general as they felt inclined - about what THEY like, some or all of which might appeal to my friend. (I know there was a time when I could have told someone what my favorite places were in Samui, Bangkok or Pattaya and why so I thought people here could do the same).

I didn't say this forum was less helpful, I said maybe it was; I also said I didn't blame anyone for not replying (as opposed to people who post and complain about my request). Don't need to be a mind reader to tell me what you like and I wasn't asking for a tour guide, was I? I just made a polite and humble request for some ideas. Sorry bout that but what can I say? I can't delete the OP...

I need to wear a suit, and I live here!!!!!

Believe me, if you are Farang and you work here and you know about things, you certainly don't need a suit, even at the highest level...

Hence the reason for very little knowledge about tailors. I messaged a couple of people who come here often from overseas but they have either never bought a suit (or something made in a tailors) or they have done so once and never done it again because they were not happy. I consider you quite correct with regard to dress code on Samui in general. I mentioned on another thread that I saw people in immigration wearing wife beaters with their partner in a bikini and no footware. Would I be correct it saying that the chances of seeing that anywhere else are somewhat slim?

Anyway, to get back on topic. Plenty of info on the pinned 'food' thread pertaining to good places to eat. With bars... one would have to suggest green mango which is always busy so must be good.

Edited by notmyself

Expert opinion very hard to give now. many Samui forum members live on the island, own or rent. So many hotels now, so hard to keep up with them.

Depending on your friends age & preferences , entertainment taste, accommodation budget, it is very hard to advise, perhaps more specific info re requirements.

• Like 2

What the...why all the hostility and the insults?

This is arrogant?

"...I'd be very grateful for anyone who could take the time to give me some rapid response with pretty much any info at all..."

"...my query was possibly too broad and/or too stupid to bother with...can't say I blame people for ignoring it."

"Thanks very much indeed."

'"Thanks anyway. Clearly a mistake. Sorry for the bother."

My friend is not a member, and there are specific reasons why the Internet was not an option for him. When I posted the OP I had no time to search. I thought maybe when I came back there might be some ideas for me in response to what I thought was a reasonable and polite OP (but am now told didn't warrant any response) but that maybe there wouldn't be. What I didn't expect was people to have some sort of problem with me.

Whatever. Like I said, this was obviously a mistake but I can't remove the thread - nonetheless I can't see why it upset anyone.

I need to wear a suit, and I live here!!!!!

Believe me, if you are Farang and you work here and you know about things, you certainly don't need a suit, even at the highest level...

Not sure what you mean by this Birdman.

I work here, and work in senoir management, I am required to wear business dress, which is formal trousers and collared shirt, and on certain occasions that includes Jacket. If you know about things you dress according to the requirements of your work, even if you are farang.

""I don't expect detailed advice. It's not me that's there so it's not about what I want but I thought residents or frequent visitors might have some ideas - as detailed or general as they felt inclined - about what THEY like, some or all of which might appeal to my friend. (I know there was a time when I could have told someone what my favorite places were in Samui, Bangkok or Pattaya and why so I thought people here could do the same).

I didn't say this forum was less helpful, I said maybe it was; I also said I didn't blame anyone for not replying (as opposed to people who post and complain about my request). Don't need to be a mind reader to tell me what you like and I wasn't asking for a tour guide, was I? I just made a polite and humble request for some ideas. Sorry bout that but what can I say? I can't delete the OP...""

Thanks for quoting only the second part of my post. I notice you chose to ignore the first part, where I actually took the time to answer your questions. You gratitude is overwhelming, and shows why you are getting a negative response.

Edited by itsala

"Whatever. Like I said, this was obviously a mistake but I can't remove the thread - nonetheless I can't see why it upset anyone."

here is one way of looking at it.

You cannot be bothered to do some research.

many of us here make suggestions and try to help with advice.

But because you do not want/cannot spend time looking into our advice - you want us to waste our time repeating it? (Not for the first time.)

and you wonder why someone might be upset?

By the way - your title does imply that we are not up to the challenge. It may have been meant as a 'bit of fun', but it really is a tad derogatory.

I didn't have time to do the research nor did I think there would be a better source of information than people here.

3 people - many, if you like - offered suggestions (along with some admonishment s) and I thanked them for it.

I never said I do not want/cannot spend time looking into your advice - pick up a Red Guide, look on the internet -and I certainly never asked anyone to repeat anything (have no idea where that's coming from).

There was NOTHING at all derogatory about the title in intent or fact.

Yes, I am baffled why people would be offended. I would not have been surprised nor blamed anyone for ignoring the OP - as most did - but to have an issue with it? Bizarre.

Having said that, apparently not everyone took offense at my thread as some posters were kind enough to send me some very helpful PMs for which I am grateful.

Edited by SteeleJoe

""I don't expect detailed advice. It's not me that's there so it's not about what I want but I thought residents or frequent visitors might have some ideas - as detailed or general as they felt inclined - about what THEY like, some or all of which might appeal to my friend. (I know there was a time when I could have told someone what my favorite places were in Samui, Bangkok or Pattaya and why so I thought people here could do the same).

I didn't say this forum was less helpful, I said maybe it was; I also said I didn't blame anyone for not replying (as opposed to people who post and complain about my request). Don't need to be a mind reader to tell me what you like and I wasn't asking for a tour guide, was I? I just made a polite and humble request for some ideas. Sorry bout that but what can I say? I can't delete the OP...""

Thanks for quoting only the second part of my post. I notice you chose to ignore the first part, where I actually took the time to answer your questions. You gratitude is overwhelming, and shows why you are getting a negative response.

I apologize for quoting only part of your post - the gratuitously snotty and condescending part. In fact you are correct in that criticism, as I shouldn't have allowed your snide tone to cause me to forget to thank you for the suggestions.