Watch Repair

sucher

Based on a recommendation on here, i had a couple of old watches repaired at a shop on south pattaya rd, the same side as tut com but a few shops down towards the beach. It was few years ago and both watches have worked perfectly since.

Mr Chow [(I think) some Chinese name] has a shop in the very back of the 'wet market' opposite Wat Chai on South Pattaya Road. Speaks excellent English and has a good reputation. As you walk toward the back of the market, he is on the left side, last isle. Tiny shop.

• Like 1

Base on several posts here, I took my older Seiko Kinetic diver's watch to a small shop on the second floor of Royal Garden Plaza, at the far eastern end nearest Second Road, inside a flashy optical shop selling high-end sunglasses, etc.

Two other repair shops had said it could not be repaired because it needed a part which was no longer available. He said he would see what he could do.

He also could not locate the part, but he managed to repair it in a few days time at a cost of 500 baht.

He did fine by me, maybe he can help you.

Mr Chow [(I think) some Chinese name] has a shop in the very back of the 'wet market' opposite Wat Chai on South Pattaya Road. Speaks excellent English and has a good reputation. As you walk toward the back of the market, he is on the left side, last isle. Tiny shop.

Two places.

1) Enter Soi Buakow from from Pattaya Klang you'll see two watch shops on the left.

The second shop is very good but be prepared, quality work takes time.

2) From South Pattaya Road walk through the market (fish, veg etc) and exit to Soi (16 or 17 depends how long you've known Pattaya) and turn left. About three shops down on the left you'll see a watch battery replacement stall in front of a clock shop. Guy speaks excellent English and repaired two 1960's classic watches for me. Again not overnight service! Perhaps he's the Mr Chow of above post?

Two places.

1) Enter Soi Buakow from from Pattaya Klang you'll see two watch shops on the left.

The second shop is very good but be prepared, quality work takes time.

2) From South Pattaya Road walk through the market (fish, veg etc) and exit to Soi (16 or 17 depends how long you've known Pattaya) and turn left. About three shops down on the left you'll see a watch battery replacement stall in front of a clock shop. Guy speaks excellent English and repaired two 1960's classic watches for me. Again not overnight service! Perhaps he's the Mr Chow of above post?

Mr Chow every time.

Don't you mean Mr Wong?

Always use him although i'm not happy with the last repair.

17000bht to service my Rolex including a new crystal, lasted 11 months then stopped and he insisted that it was over a year so no warrenty, In the end I took it back unrepaired and i'm sending it the the UK.

Based on a recommendation on here, i had a couple of old watches repaired at a shop on south pattaya rd, the same side as tut com but a few shops down towards the beach. It was few years ago and both watches have worked perfectly since.

Second that. Numerous batteries replaced there. Last week new crystal for a Bulova, 2 hrs. and 300 baht.

To Davethailand

My Watch is also a Rolex [ Datejust ].17000 Baht for Service incl.the Crystal.You remember how much he charged you for the Service w/o the Crystal?

Dunno all in the price, always been great,just a bit peaved with the last service.

Watch hadn't been serviced for over 10 years.

I believe the name he goes by is Mr. Wong. As mentioned, his English is good. I've used him for years and find him both reliable and quite honest.

Per his business card his phone numbers are:

086-3784013

landline: 036-713089

...hope this helps...

To Davethailand

My Watch is also a Rolex [ Datejust ].17000 Baht for Service incl.the Crystal.You remember how much he charged you for the Service w/o the Crystal?

Dunno all in the price, always been great,just a bit peaved with the last service.

If it was only maintenance without any parts used other than the crystal, then 17.000 Baht is a pure rip off.

I had a crystal replaced from a president day/date at Zara shop just around the corner of Mr Wong and it was 1800 Baht a few years ago.

Had a maintenance done on he same watch at the same shop about a year ago and that was 3000 Baht.

Hope your Watch still has all the original Parts.Thats my #1 worry about unknown Shops.My watch only needs cleaning and oiling.I hope i can find a Shop where i can wait and watch the Work.passifier.gif

I just had my Tag Carrera (new stopwatch button ordered from Bangkok) repaired this morning at a shop at the far north end of Soi Buakhao, there's 2 shops side by side, the one on the right. Watched him do the work, cleaned it and replaced some pins in the strap, THB 4500, seems very fair to me as I used to pay GBP 100 for a battery in the UK! (different Tag watch).

To Davethailand

If it was only maintenance without any parts used other than the crystal, then 17.000 Baht is a pure rip off.

I had a crystal replaced from a president day/date at Zara shop just around the corner of Mr Wong and it was 1800 Baht a few years ago.

Had a maintenance done on he same watch at the same shop about a year ago and that was 3000 Baht.

It was including parts and labour,he had it for a month, it was like brand new when it came back.

As said its locked up now and is going to London to be done.

I had a high quality crystal put in, not a plastic one.

To Davethailand

It was including parts and labour,he had it for a month, it was like brand new when it came back.

As said its locked up now and is going to London to be done.

I had a high quality crystal put in, not a plastic one.

I wouldn't call Sapphire crystal a plastic.

50$ is the going price for Sapphire crystals included installation. Google is your friend.

Of course at the official Rolex dealer the price for the same glass would be 300$

Edited by jbrain

The Crystal of the older Rolexes were Plastic,not Glas.Even then the Plastic was called a Crystal.Strange but true

you can get cheap plastic ones. I paid more for Sapphire crystal.

Originals are of course more.

I don't know what you're arguing about, but I think I made it clear from post #19 that I had a SAPPHIRE glass installed for 1800 Baht, and that this is actually the going price for this kind of glass.

My Girlfriend got a friend's watch repaired whilst we were in Pattaya for a reasonable price. Was told in UK it would have to be sent to Switzerland!

The guy who did it was in Big C, second road on a concession stand on ground floor. Hope that helps

Take your watch to an authorized dealer, and have them send it to an authorized Rolex service center. My dealer did that because my watch was so warn it basically needed a new movement. I've had the watch for more then 25 years. It's a two tone Oyster style.

When the watch came back, it had an authentic Rolex certificate of remanufacture, a two year Rolex warranty card, and it ran like a, well, watch ever since. I was shocked that the total cost to me was only about $600 US. That's not a typo. Just $600 and it's fully factory rebuilt inside.

• 1 month later...

I am interested in getting early 20th century suspension (revolving weight) clock in a glass dome serviced but a little worried about ability to repair something that old and quality of work. I also have a similar vintage solid gold watch that belonged to my grandfather. I dont want to risk shoddy or dishonest work.

Anyone with experience with antiques repair like this?