Emissions In Parts Of Bangkok Exceed Limit; Exhaust Fumes From Vehicles Biggest Cause Of Pollution

webfact

ENVIRONMENT
Emissions in parts of city exceed limit

Pongphon Sarnsamak
The Nation

Exhaust fumes from vehicles biggest cause of pollution

BANGKOK: -- People living in the capital are now at risk of developing respiratory ailments, according to the state pollution-monitoring agency, which found that the air in five main areas of Bangkok contained high levels of particles from vehicles' exhaust emissions.

Chatuchak district's Phaholyothin area had the highest level of black exhaust smoke, with a pollutant level of 154 micrograms per cubic metre, which exceeds the standard air-pollution safety level of 120 micrograms per cubic metre, according to a report conducted by the Pollution Control Department (PCD).

Five most polluted areas

The five areas in Bangkok with the highest levels of air pollution were Ratchathewi district's Rama VI Road, Chatuchak's Phaholyothin Rd, Din Daeng Road, the Thonburi area and Pathumwan's Rama IV Road.

The report noted that the air pollution in these areas was caused by exhaust fumes released by the millions of private vehicles on Bangkok's roads.

Despite the sharp increase in the number of environmentally friendly cars in the capital during the past few years, air pollution in Bangkok still exceeds the standard level, particularly in high traffic-congestion zones, according to the report.

According to the Land Transport Department, the number of registered cars was more than 7,660,000 as of February 28. Of this number, 1,101,437 were private vehicles and pickup trucks.

Strict measures

In a bid to reduce exhaust emissions, the PCD will instruct relevant agencies to strictly monitor vehicles and take action against drivers whose cars emit excessive exhaust fumes.

During the past 10 years, drivers of more than 36,944 cars have faced suspensions, and 30,160 cars have been banned altogether due to excessive exhaust emissions.

In a related development, the PCD has found that Mae Hong Son province's Muang district had the highest amount of small particles sized less than 10 micrometres in diameter (PM10) in the air in the northern region.

The PM10 level in the district was 101-219 micrograms per cubic metre, putting local people at risk of health problems, the department said.

The high level of small airborne particles in the area was blamed on recent large-scale forest fires in the province.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-16

Different year, same rubbish.

Amazing, but true.

Yes we know that exhaust pollution is a serious problem in Bangkok.

You might not believe this, but in my 11 odd years in Bangkok, I've never seen a vehicle of any kind, including motorbikes, pulled over for spewing forth clouds of disgusting black exhaust by the police or any other government official.

Hard to believe, eh?

Amazing, but true. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I drive from Bangna to Chonburi every morning, and without fail, the vast majority of the huge number of trucks and buses are spewing black smoke so bad that you can see the brown haze above the road all the way into Chonburi. There's sometimes a police checkpoint or two on the road, but I've never,ever heard of anyone getting pulled over for excessive exhaust fumes.

• Like 1

Over 10 years ... 30,000+ have been banned? A further 36,000+ suspended (?) then I wonder how many BMA transport vehicles were included in those figures as none to my knowledge would pass any such tests. They only have to do regular maintenance on the red buses, in particular clean the injector tips, and that will stop about 80% of the black exhaust. Very simple really but then anything that is, is never done.

• Like 1

The rich kids in Bangkok don't like the dirty work, and their parents are making sugarcoating sure they won't have to so that and get them into high paid under the table jobs...

What this technically means, everything related to engineering, machinery, or environmental jobs in which you make yourselves dirty, is a job for "the poor and uneducated", which is a disgrace to the high so rich feudal Thai-Chinese and their sugercoated sponged kids, but which is EXACTLY what this country needs.

Engineering and Machinery Science, Environmental and agricultural studies are the most overlooked job segments, because of their "dirty reputation" among Thai people. That's why vocational education are being looked down on and treated as scum, which causes those students to rebel in extreme violence.

Why do BTS doors open in the middle of the ride?

Why do plane tyres burst, when they're bursting?

Why do we have a lot of fires in the city?

Why does mechanical Thailand's safety measures suck?

The point is in reality Thailand needs more jobs in engineering, security measurements, computer and agricultural science, and environmental scoence studies, instead of jobs in those big corporation businesses or Shopping mall owner legacies. But apparently that's not the way the Thai-Chinese elite thinks.

Edited by MaxLee
  • Like 1

I've seen the BIB's putting some measuring-device up a truck's _ss once, but that was some 8 years ago.

I guess that the suspended and banned vehicles were part of a collision and not able to drive anywhere.

If the Thai government would have over-thought their 100.000 Baht car scheme a bit, they would have encouraged the owners of polluting cars to invest in a new car with the help of the government.

Now they "sponsored" and allowed more than 1,000,000 new cars on the road of which approx. 600,000 in Bangkok.

The real reason of the black smoke that is coming out of the vehicles is un-burnt fuel. the reason for this is that diesel engines are naturally sluggish, which is a common complaint from owners of diesel powered vehicles, so when our brilliant Technician's get this complaint what they do is open the fuel regulator, the positive result is about 5% more power and the negative result is 15% of un-burned fuel.

when a diesel engine comes out of the factory it is adjusted to maximum power to fuel ratio and should not be tampered with.

• Like 2

The rich kids in Bangkok don't like the dirty work, and their parents are making sugarcoating sure they won't have to so that and get them into high paid under the table jobs...

What this technically means, everything related to engineering, machinery, or environmental jobs in which you make yourselves dirty, is a job for "the poor and uneducated", which is a disgrace to the high so rich feudal Thai-Chinese and their sugercoated sponged kids, but which is EXACTLY what this country needs.

Engineering and Machinery Science, Environmental and agricultural studies are the most overlooked job segments, because of their "dirty reputation" among Thai people. That's why vocational education are being looked down on and treated as scum, which causes those students to rebel in extreme violence.

Why do BTS doors open in the middle of the ride?

Why do plane tyres burst, when they're bursting?

Why do we have a lot of fires in the city?

Why does mechanical Thailand's safety measures suck?

The point is in reality Thailand needs more jobs in engineering, security measurements, computer and agricultural science, and environmental scoence studies, instead of jobs in those big corporation businesses or Shopping mall owner legacies. But apparently that's not the way the Thai-Chinese elite thinks.

The reason is not about rich or poor. its about using generic components and sub standard means of education.

• Like 1

If they brought in something like the British MOT Test then they wouldn't even need to be raising this issue, but that's too difficult to think of.

Cars are not the issue here. It's the battered trucks and buses, with not even a jot of tread on the tyres, coughing out the worst crap you could ever inhale.

In fact, the whole system needs revamping, at little effort. In the UK you can't get your tax, until you have insurance and an MOT certificate.

No tax displayed is easy for the BIB to spot, and few of the trucks and buses would be able to get tax!!

So easy, but so difficult in Thailand,,,,,,, as usual. coffee1.gif

-mel.

Popping round to get the Tax and Insurance on my 17 year old Honda next month. I know there are a few things needing to be done, but all the bloke does is take the frame number, my Green book disappears for a day, after which I am presented with a nice new Tax disc and an Insurance certificate, all for the princly sum of roughly 600 Baht. I ride off with a big smile but, also feeling a bit of a fraud and wanting them to have demanded that I replace the rear tyre or the rear shock absorber. Oh well I will certainly get it sorted for next year....

If they brought in something like the British MOT Test then they wouldn't even need to be raising this issue, but that's too difficult to think of.

Cars are not the issue here. It's the battered trucks and buses, with not even a jot of tread on the tyres, coughing out the worst crap you could ever inhale.

In fact, the whole system needs revamping, at little effort. In the UK you can't get your tax, until you have insurance and an MOT certificate.

No tax displayed is easy for the BIB to spot, and few of the trucks and buses would be able to get tax!!

So easy, but so difficult in Thailand,,,,,,, as usual. coffee1.gif

-mel.

In Phuket, the MOT tester sticks an emission device up the exhaust pipe, checks the front, rear and hand brakes, lights and indicators. Not sure if he looks at the tyres or steering - it only takes about 10 minutes and costs 200 baht (I think).

I cannot get my tax sticker here unless I have the Por Ror Bor and MOT certificate - same as UK, I believe.

They should be a service where people can take a photo of vehicles emitting huge amounts of smoke and then send the image by website or email, or even mms.

At least in many other countries that I've been they have such a service...

I drive bike around and I get so pissed off when I see all those trucks and cars releasing totally black smoke. how can those cars get to drive around like that... Thailand need do something about, it's killing people this excessive polution.

• Like 2

Same thing in CHiang Mai. Carcinogenic black smoke filling the already pollutted air....and of course nothing ever changes. Talk, talk, talk....inept, incompetent, insipid dufus officials! I only hope their family members get some form of pollutted disease and then ....maybe....they will think about being responsible for the people.

We lived in the Ratchayothin area for 3 years. I can second that black particulate pollution. The wife mopped the whole apartment in the morning, black dust on feet by dinner time.

I am sure that all the cars are not helping, but it would be a good move to start with the worst polluters. Those filthy 30+ year old Mitsu buses, all the Manga style coaches and not to mention those ancient trucks.

The racer pick ups with sh!te tuning and the old beat up pick up should be pulled off the road, too.

I recall seeing a news item a month or so ago that the BMTA were ordered to reduce emissions. The bus driving style does not help either.

Fat chance something real will happen. I think removing every single of those red buses would do a world of good.

Thailand: Hub of lip service.

Hello neighbor. I have to disagree. I live in the Ratchayothin area as well. The reason for the pollution in our area is because of the bad location of the end of the BTS line and connecting MRT station. Mo Chit is a terrible place to end an important mode of transportation (BTS). It's a major intersection that would have a lot of traffic anyway. Having thousands of people getting off at that station lining up to get a taxi or bus at a major intersection and highway and tollway on-ramp is a recipe for traffic and pollution. Once BTS is extended beyond Mo Chit than the pollution levels will go down. Why on earth Mo Chit was decided to be a terminal location is beyond me.

Also those old red buses are wonderful and I hope BMTA keeps them forever! They were the only buses that were able to plow through the flood waters because they have a high clearance. They are low-tech buses that are durable and can take a beating. Ideal for the cash-strapped BMTA agency. Bangkok doesn't need the latest & greatest Eurostyle designer buses. Those old buses are cheap & reliable. I also like the wooden floors and ceiling fans. It keeps Thailand exotic. :)

We lived in the Ratchayothin area for 3 years. I can second that black particulate pollution. The wife mopped the whole apartment in the morning, black dust on feet by dinner time.

I am sure that all the cars are not helping, but it would be a good move to start with the worst polluters. Those filthy 30+ year old Mitsu buses, all the Manga style coaches and not to mention those ancient trucks.

The racer pick ups with sh!te tuning and the old beat up pick up should be pulled off the road, too.

I recall seeing a news item a month or so ago that the BMTA were ordered to reduce emissions. The bus driving style does not help either.

Fat chance something real will happen. I think removing every single of those red buses would do a world of good.

Thailand: Hub of lip service.

I've taken to wearing white, cotton, 'free style', short-top socks when indoors. I think it's a good compromise between wearing shoes or going barefoot in my apartment and the resulting brown/black foot syndrome, but it does add to the laundry load.

I've also evolved into a closed-room, 100% A/C mode as a 'shelter in place' strategy as if a nearby oil refinery was on fire. I'd say that is essentially what we're experiencing in Bangkok. Previously, at night and to minimize A/C use, I brought in cool, outside air though an evaporation cooler that I converted to be an air filter. The white filter material (3M Filtrete TM ) would turn dark gray after around 20 hours of operation. I've stopped that because of filter material costs and questions about it's effectiveness even though it consumes only 55 watts. Am considering running this filter simply as an indoor air cleaner because I've purchased a 600-baht HEPA filter (intended for a proper in-room, air filter unit) that I had previously adapted to the evaporation cooler.

For biking around Bangkok, I use a replaceable-filter, dust/fume mask that is available at Home-Pro for 125 baht. The more I think about it, maybe it would be a good idea to wear it when walking outdoors as well, making me more of a sight than I already am. Din Daeng, Pracha Songkhro, sixth floor - a busy bus route with heavy daytime traffic.

Edited by MaxYakov

lol thai government that added 800.000 cars on top of that ...

good one, together with rice scam costing 300+ billion a year, fake flood management, etc.....

In another news item about the Thai tax man it was reported that they MADE 95billion out for the new car scheme.

Over 10 years ... 30,000+ have been banned? A further 36,000+ suspended (?) then I wonder how many BMA transport vehicles were included in those figures as none to my knowledge would pass any such tests. They only have to do regular maintenance on the red buses, in particular clean the injector tips, and that will stop about 80% of the black exhaust. Very simple really but then anything that is, is never done.

but this heavy black smoke from the old diesel isn't as harmful as it seems...just big flakes of carbon

The real reason of the black smoke that is coming out of the vehicles is un-burnt fuel. the reason for this is that diesel engines are naturally sluggish, which is a common complaint from owners of diesel powered vehicles, so when our brilliant Technician's get this complaint what they do is open the fuel regulator, the positive result is about 5% more power and the negative result is 15% of un-burned fuel.

when a diesel engine comes out of the factory it is adjusted to maximum power to fuel ratio and should not be tampered with.

It is also, specially on the old trucks when the injection valve is worn out and it injects big drops at the wrong time instead of spray. Also when the compression isn't perfect anymore.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that should be easily to fix by new valves, maybe a better injection pump, and a low powered turbo without increasing the injected amount.

What I have seen is having a water tank and blow the exhaust thru the water.

Why dont they start with the Government Buses? They are among the biggest polluters!!

Then regulate Tuk-Tuks and Motorbikes.

That will fix 80% of the Vehicle Problem.

Government buses are surely clean if you calculate transported person and km. If you have 30 people inside the produce still less smoke than everyone going with old motorbike or car.

Tuk-Tuk problem is that government does not allow new one, so the old ones are refurbished 100 times.

Add: best starting point would be to ban burning old junk with plastic bottles in the backyards in Bangkok which has a working collection system.

Edited by h90