I’ve just transferred 1200bt from SCB in Carrefour, Chaeng Wattana road to my friends SCB account in Maejo, and they charged me 30bt for the privilege, is there a reason for this? My wife says it’s because it’s out of area….so what, it’s all computerised. I see it as a scam to increase profits, from a somewhat behind the times Thai industry, am I being unkind? Soon they’ll charge you to walk in the door!

From the SCB website (30 baht minimum charge):

Inter - Region Transfer

To transfer fund to someone upcountry, if you have the beneficiary's 10 - digit account number, SCB will do the rest. We will transfer your money immediately as your request. The recipient will be able to cash it instantly.

How to apply:

Contact any SCB branch and also able to use via

SCB Easy Phone, SCB Easy Net or ATM

Fee & Services Charges:

Based on the transfer amount: 10 Baht for every

10,000 Baht. Minimum charge 10 Baht and 20 Baht

for wire service charge.

It's not the cost, I'm questioning why they need to charge. If it's computerised how do they justify charging to tap a few keys, why charge to pay money into their bank?

Is there an alternative to instant transfer? If there is then it wasn't offered, the transfer wasn't urgent.

Risking the 'if you don't like it, go home' claptrap, UK banks make very high profits, without charging for every single thing they can think of.

..why charge to pay money into their bank?

Because they can. As simple as that.

I got charged over a 1,000 baht for receiving overseas transfers to my company account last month. Apart from them getting a comission for the currency exchange.

On the Baht 30 I don't comment too much. It covers their work.

Try to remit US$ from your bank in Bangkok to another account in Bangkok.

They go via New York and charge you bank a), New York bank and bank :D receiving in BKK.

:o

Comissions aside, what I really don't like are the mistakes they sometime do. I had to make a payment to an overseas supplier; SCB transferred the amount specifed, plus extra $3,000. I got it back a few days later, but it wasn't a very nice incident.. :o

Comissions aside, what I really don't like are the mistakes they sometime do. I had to make a payment to an overseas supplier; SCB transferred the amount specifed, plus extra $3,000. I got it back a few days later, but it wasn't a very nice incident.. :o

In the UK I paid everything by either direct debit or standing order, never any problems, so I encouraged an ex TG tried to set up direct debits with Krung Thai bank to pay the electric bill and a couple of loans. They made a right mess of it, some months they paid things on time, sometimes late, sometimes wrong amounts, sometimes no payments made, she ended up going back to paying them herself.

Dont feel to hard done buy.

In australia they are about to introduce 5 more bank fees, one of them is a $1.50 fee just for ringing the bank to ask a question, a annual ATM card fee is coming in which i dont know how much and i forgot the other 3.

Now thats what i call a rip off

Just spoke to Nationwide and they tell me that pre arranged dosh transfers can be arranged from UK to LOS Via ATM for up to (suggested @ £5k=350,000)which if taken through your bank (earlier poster put me on to this)and made into your a/c is as we all know FREE and at interbank rates.....just a thought... :o

Not sure if you feel this fee of Baht 30 too expensive.

How much would you think is reasonable for the job?

Urrr, like for free as the bank already has the business from the customer by way of the funds in the bank. Back home in UK some banks tried to charge other banks ATM cards a fee for using their ATM! There was an uproar! The smart banks turned round and lombasted allowing others to use theirs for free. The greedy banks went through with it.

I sort of understand the inter bank transfer fees as presumably there is some piffling sum involved. But to be charged for using services from your own bank in a different branch / province is absurd.

I used to be charged around 70 Baht for transferring 40,000 Baht from an upcountry branch of Bangkok Bank to an account in Bangkok Bank in Bangkok.

I have also recently been charged for depositing a cheque issued from a branch of Krung Sri Ayudhya bank literally down the road (same province) into our company account in the same bank, different branch. I have no idea why.

It's not the money, as some posters insinuate, just the principle: it feels all wrong.