Chiang Mai's Haze Problem Remains Under Control

webfact

Chiang Mai's haze problem remains under control

CHIANG MAI, 19 March 2013 (NNT) – The haze problem in northern Chiang Mai Province continues but the situation are still under control, according to local health officials.

The smoke haze over Chiang Mai has reportedly thickened on Monday although the level of dust particles remained below the safety level.

But, Chiang Mai's deputy head of public health, Dr. Surasing Visaruthrat, warned that even though the dust particles might appear non-harmful yet, the current condition still presents risks to people with respiratory problems.

Dr. Surasing has warned at-risk residents to avoid spending too much time outdoor and to keep their medicines handy.

The latest report showed that the air quality, illustrated by the Particle Pollution (PM10) Concentration, measured at 87 micrograms per cubic meter at the Chiang Mai City Hall and at 105 micrograms per cubic meter in another part of the city center.

However, Dr. Surasing stated that the situation can worsen if no rain comes down soon. Therefore, locals are asked to refrain from all outdoor burning activities in order to prevent the problem from escalating.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-03-19 footer_n.gif

Quote: "Therefore, locals are asked to refrain from all outdoor burning activities in order to prevent the problem from escalating."

I guess no one asked the rice farmer about 500m from me who torched his straw this morning. Luckily (for me) the wind blew the smoke north towards San Kamphaeng.

It was pretty bad last week, I went up to Mae Hong Song where it was recorded as 200 <10 mg, but there's a breeze and today and my useful app called Air4Thai tells me it's only 81, below the unhealthy threshold. Certainly my nose is bunged up, When the mountain disappears from view then it's time to lock yourself up in an a/c room. Lots of posters of Yingluck everywhere, telling people 'don't burn' but even more people I see ignoring it and piling up leaves, setting fire to them, like my neighbour last night. telling them to stop would be uncool.

In Chiang Mai itself, about 3 weeks ago the authorities began digging up the roads around Wat Prasingh one of the prominent tourist temples of the old town. Then they dug up Ratchdamnoen, the site of the Sunday Walking Street from one end to another, ruining the biggest tourist attraction. All this in the midst of the tourist season.

The dust is unbelievable.

Pity the poor monks. Businesses are totally dead and we all wear face masks.

I am told that the Council is spending it's financial allocation for the year so as to preserve it for next year.

Anybody know whathese halfwits are doing?

The problem is completely out of control. The Thai gov is controlling nothing about the pollution other than taking readings and praying it's not above their arbitrary 120 number...

Who is in control is mother nature...

Thai gov and public are nothing but bystanders though looking closely the public and the lack of enforcement/accountability are what caused the problem in the first place - burning w/o remorse...

Very poorly worded title...

• Like 1

Bastiat,

You admit in your last sentence that you have no idea why they are digging around Wat Prasingh and Ratchadamnoen. Yet you call the authorities who have presumably commissioned this work "these halfwits".

I don't follow your logic. Surely there could be reasons for this work to be done, whether it is tourist season or not.

"Businesses are totally dead and we all wear face masks."

Really? "totally dead"? "all wear face masks"?

Evidence please.

The problem is completely out of control. The Thai gov is controlling nothing about the pollution other than taking readings and praying it's not above their arbitrary 120 number...

Who is in control is mother nature...

Thai gov and public are nothing but bystanders though looking closely the public and the lack of enforcement/accountability are what caused the problem in the first place - burning w/o remorse...

Very poorly worded title...

Couldn't agree more! The only reason that this continues to happen year after year is the total apathy and disregard of politicians and government officials who continually fail to ensure that even existing laws are enforced. The 'Breathe' campaign last year, and my own feeble efforts in emailing (in Thai) a personal appeal (my son and I are both asthmatic), with suggestions as to alternative treatments of agricultural waste, to every Governor's office in the North and every government agency I could think of, obviously and inevitably fell on deaf ears. Not one response to thirty odd emails. Did the Breathe campaign get any response? Probably not.

It should really come as no surprise but at least I tried.