Fear Of Attacks On Phuket's New Airport Buses Delays Launch Date

Lite Beer

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha, introduction of modern transport convenience delayed due to ooga-booga men.

If by ooga-booga men you mean a certain mayor of a certain seaside town and a certain son that runs the "association",then you are right!

Edited by steelepulse

"The committee agreed “in principle” to approve the new service, but vetoed the launch on the condition that tuk-tuk and taxi drivers be consulted first on whether or not they would accept it."

Thailand is the only country I can think of where the government has to ask the taxi drivers for permission each time it wants to do anything. Talk about loss of face :-D

• Like 1

They keep mixing local people and taxi drivers, as if they are the same people. If they are so concerned about what people think, then have a vote on the Island, and see if the local people want to be ruled by the taxi mafia or the government they have elected - oh thats right, they already did.

I bet if they asked the locals on Phuket, they would want the bus service, and they would also want every taxi and tuktuk driver thrown out of the island!

V/G Chamroen said worriedly, “I am afraid that local people may not accept this idea about the bus service. I want the Transportation Department to convene a meeting to include taxi organisations and local people to get their opinions.”

Perhaps it would be wise to check Mr. Chamroen's affiliation with the taxi mafia.

• Like 1

A possible solution is to hire the Taxi And Tuk Tuk boys on a rotational basis to drive these buses. Not all airline passengers want to travel on a bus due to all the stopping and starting all over the place. Speaking personally, I would still prefer to go direct to my destination by Taxi especially after a tiresome flight.

If the Taxi people can't get their shit together about delivering into an area but not picking up passengers for a return fare, then that is stupid as it works both ways for all.

I often hear that politicians and police run the scamming taxi service.

True?

The taxi drivers pay alot of money to the local politicians to get and to keep a license. This is partly why they charge as much for a trip as they do. This is also why the local politicians are not solving any taxi related problems. What is good for the taxis, is good for the politicians. It is the exact same setup on Samui btw.

No problem from my end. The effin taxi mafia in both Phuket and Pattaya will NEVER see any of my tourist Dollars (Baht).

I think you'll find that comparing Phuket and Pattaya is like "chalk and cheese".

The "hop on-hop off" Baht bus system in Pattaya allows one to travel almost the entire circuit for 10 Baht per person. Go from Jomtien to Naklua (think Kata to Kamala) for 20 Baht per person. Even chartering a Baht bus and going to the main bus terminal at 6AM only cost 150 Baht for 2 people.

I think if you compare this to Phuket, you may find rather a difference!

And the reason why people like Pattaya - is because they don't cheat people. Nowhere is perfect, but having lived in both Pattaya and Phuket for a number of years - I can't think of one example where i was cheated or made to pay extortionate prices in Pattaya. I never saw or heard of songthaew drivers in Pattaya threaten to disrupt the regular bus services, and when air-conditioned taxis were introduced, they slotted into the big wheel of things and everyone gets along - each serving a purpose. People might complain about many things in Pattaya but nobody can complain about the Transport options. Are you listening Phuket ??

-

Two comments from these posts ... First to VBF: I don't believe it is as simple as you make it seem. Many drivers will tell you to pay again after they make they change course to return ... for example, get on royal and second road. When the driver makes the turn to go back to beach road, some drivers will stop and tell you that you will pay 20b.

As to the 150b ... there is no such thing as a standard fare. Again, try the middle of the afternoon this week or next and see if they will take you to NCA or the North terminal from Royal for 150. You will find that the price has increased.

Second to Udox: I had to re-read your post three times because I wanted to make sure of what you wrote. Do we live in the same Pattaya? As in Thailand??? Your comment about [taxi mafia] "don't cheat people" is factually incorrect. Tourists are ripped off daily because they don't know "standard" rates. I have been kicked off a baht bus numerous times because the driver stopped to ask a Russian where they were going ... after telling where, the driver throws back "OK, 1000b". The Russian ladies nod and get into the bus. They were going from second @ klang to Naklua.

I'm still stunned about your comment about not cheating people. How many times does a driver tell you (by hand signals) that he is going a certain direction, and then once a group of people are on his bahtbus, he changes course, and everyone rings to get off.

Before Aircon taxis (and that is a story on its own), we had aircon busses (circa 2005) just like Phuket. They were called "Pattaya Beach Bus". The local mafia fought and fought. They often put bahtbusses directly in the way of the aircon busses stops and turns. Beautiful, comfortable, aircon busses with drivers who kept it on all four wheels, and didn't ride the brake! We could go from Jomtien to Naklua WITH FIXED ROUTES and a fixed route map (BUT no published schedule for convenience). The busses never veered off of their intended course.

No, they didn't last, and it had nothing to do with the number of riders [although the public statements were that they failed due to lack of ridership]. During that time, I had stopped riding baht busses completely. I even went to the store one year on Songkran and stayed comfortable and dry. But the baht busses won -- better to provide crappy service where you can rip off tourists than to allow the city to mature. PS: You also received a receipt for paying on the bus - they were paying taxes. Do you think that any of the baht bus drivers pay taxes??

And finally, you mentioned air con taxis. These taxis were brought in with the very specific understanding that they would be METER taxis, and only allowed to stand/wait at certain places. The baht bus mafia fought these taxis until a solution was found -- these taxis would NO LONGER USE THEIR METERS so they would no longer be cheaper than hiring a baht bus. And after a while, they co-exist (or as you put it -- they are now "slotted into the big wheel" of things). Run that search and you will see complaint-after-complaint about price gouging and refusing to use the meters.

Try to get into an aircon taxi AND get them to use the meter. Won't happen.

"I never saw or heard of songthaew drivers in Pattaya threaten to disrupt the regular bus services, ... " if you search back far enough to the news from the times of the above changes to Pattaya, you will read about exactly what you never heard or saw.

Does anyone remember the yellow-striped baht bus? The ones that could go THE WRONG WAY on 2nd from Big C to Klang?? The other baht busses hated them! They would intentionally block the "special" lane that was created; they would even go head-to-head in the vehicles and rufuse to move, forcing the yellow-striped bus to veer into the other lane to go around. It was a rough time. And of course it is history as well.

IMO, Pattaya is as bad or worse than Phuket when it comes to the baht bus mafia and corruption.

"but nobody can complain about the Transport options" ... are you kidding???? A number of years ago I moved from the beach area to the country and only occasionally now use baht busses. But watch and listen and you will see a lot more that goes on.

I agree, waste off effort. Can you imagine those busses stopping every 20 meteres down Patong beach ? Or anywhere in Phuket for that matter. They are too big. The only way to solve the traffic issue is the Pattaya style songthaews ! (But it won't happen)..

seems that you haven't been to Pattaya recently......

Can you explain,please

No problem from my end. The effin taxi mafia in both Phuket and Pattaya will NEVER see any of my tourist Dollars (Baht).

I think you'll find that comparing Phuket and Pattaya is like "chalk and cheese".

The "hop on-hop off" Baht bus system in Pattaya allows one to travel almost the entire circuit for 10 Baht per person. Go from Jomtien to Naklua (think Kata to Kamala) for 20 Baht per person. Even chartering a Baht bus and going to the main bus terminal at 6AM only cost 150 Baht for 2 people.

And the reason why people like Pattaya - is because they don't cheat people. Nowhere is perfect, but having lived in both Pattaya and Phuket for a number of years - I can't think of one example where i was cheated or made to pay extortionate prices in Pattaya. I never saw or heard of songthaew drivers in Pattaya threaten to disrupt the regular bus services, and when air-conditioned taxis were introduced, they slotted into the big wheel of things and everyone gets along - each serving a purpose. People might complain about many things in Pattaya but nobody can complain about the Transport options. Are you listening Phuket ??

-

Two comments from these posts ... First to VBF: I don't believe it is as simple as you make it seem. Many drivers will tell you to pay again after they make they change course to return ... for example, get on royal and second road. When the driver makes the turn to go back to beach road, some drivers will stop and tell you that you will pay 20b.

As to the 150b ... there is no such thing as a standard fare. Again, try the middle of the afternoon this week or next and see if they will take you to NCA or the North terminal from Royal for 150. You will find that the price has increased.

Second to Udox: I had to re-read your post three times because I wanted to make sure of what you wrote. Do we live in the same Pattaya? As in Thailand??? Your comment about [taxi mafia] "don't cheat people" is factually incorrect. Tourists are ripped off daily because they don't know "standard" rates. I have been kicked off a baht bus numerous times because the driver stopped to ask a Russian where they were going ... after telling where, the driver throws back "OK, 1000b". The Russian ladies nod and get into the bus. They were going from second @ klang to Naklua.

I'm still stunned about your comment about not cheating people. How many times does a driver tell you (by hand signals) that he is going a certain direction, and then once a group of people are on his bahtbus, he changes course, and everyone rings to get off.

Before Aircon taxis (and that is a story on its own), we had aircon busses (circa 2005) just like Phuket. They were called "Pattaya Beach Bus". The local mafia fought and fought. They often put bahtbusses directly in the way of the aircon busses stops and turns. Beautiful, comfortable, aircon busses with drivers who kept it on all four wheels, and didn't ride the brake! We could go from Jomtien to Naklua WITH FIXED ROUTES and a fixed route map (BUT no published schedule for convenience). The busses never veered off of their intended course.

No, they didn't last, and it had nothing to do with the number of riders [although the public statements were that they failed due to lack of ridership]. During that time, I had stopped riding baht busses completely. I even went to the store one year on Songkran and stayed comfortable and dry. But the baht busses won -- better to provide crappy service where you can rip off tourists than to allow the city to mature. PS: You also received a receipt for paying on the bus - they were paying taxes. Do you think that any of the baht bus drivers pay taxes??

And finally, you mentioned air con taxis. These taxis were brought in with the very specific understanding that they would be METER taxis, and only allowed to stand/wait at certain places. The baht bus mafia fought these taxis until a solution was found -- these taxis would NO LONGER USE THEIR METERS so they would no longer be cheaper than hiring a baht bus. And after a while, they co-exist (or as you put it -- they are now "slotted into the big wheel" of things). Run that search and you will see complaint-after-complaint about price gouging and refusing to use the meters.

"I never saw or heard of songthaew drivers in Pattaya threaten to disrupt the regular bus services, ... " if you search back far enough to the news from the times of the above changes to Pattaya, you will read about exactly what you never heard or saw.

Does anyone remember the yellow-striped baht bus? The ones that could go THE WRONG WAY on 2nd from Big C to Klang?? The other baht busses hated them! They would intentionally block the "special" lane that was created; they would even go head-to-head in the vehicles and rufuse to move, forcing the yellow-striped bus to veer into the other lane to go around. It was a rough time. And of course it is history as well.

IMO, Pattaya is as bad or worse than Phuket when it comes to the baht bus mafia and corruption.

"but nobody can complain about the Transport options" ... are you kidding???? A number of years ago I moved from the beach area to the country and only occasionally now use baht busses. But watch and listen and you will see a lot more that goes on.

Firstly you are misquoting me and putting words into my statements. Second, if you read again I wrote "I can't think of one example where i was cheated or made to pay

extortionate prices in Pattaya. I never saw or heard of songthaew

drivers in Pattaya threaten to disrupt the regular bus services",

I cannot recall being cheated or paying overprice in Pattaya - Not only in transport - but in restaurants, Thai Massage shops, markets, food stalls etc etc.

I gave my opinion and my experiences and stand by it. I did not mention what happens to Russian Tourists (or not). Seems like you have had several bad experiences with transport in Pattaya - Thats is your experience. I haven't - and thats what I wrote. I will continue to ride the 10 baht buses, who cares if it turns left instead of right ? - just spend another ten baht and catch another one!

Compared to 800 baht in Phuket to go a similar distance in a motorised sewing machine on wheels - I know where I would spend my money.

Edited by Udox

I think its time for the people in power to know they are losing big face .

The 'phrai' are making them look weak and stupid.

snip

Who runs this island , the 'phrai' or the 'jao meuung' ?

Could it be they are partners?

Why does the Thai government allow the mafia to control Phuket!

Because it's the highest Mafia organisation in this country?--

I think the Thai government has bigger problems to worry about than the tuk tuk mafia in Phuket what's a few unhappy tourists in the scheme of things.

They might find out someday.

I wish I could make the tourists disappear for a couple of years and let the mafia see how they get on.

-

Chaihot

You say:

" Many drivers will tell you to pay again after they make they change course to return ... for example, get on royal and second road. When the driver makes the turn to go back to beach road, some drivers will stop and tell you that you will pay 20b."

That has honestly never happened to me in more than 15 years of visiting / staying in Pattaya / Jomtien - but i did say in my earlier post that Jomtien to Naklua is usually 20 Baht by which I mean 10 Baht + 10 Baht. I simply hand over 20 and walk away. By the same reasoning IF a driver stops or changes route I simply ring the bell and get off - hand him 10Baht, say "Cap" and walk away and get another one. if I get "kicked off" a Baht bus - it's annoying but I just walk away without paying and get on the next one - I think that's happened to me twice!

You say:

"As to the 150b ... there is no such thing as a standard fare. Again, try the middle of the afternoon this week or next and see if they will take you to NCA or the North terminal from Royal for 150. You will find that the price has increased."

I agree that there's no standard fare for an "off the circuit" trip but in Pattaya one can politely NEGOTIATE a reasonable fare with the driver - there really is another one right behind if your chosen vehicle doesn't want to cooperate. Sure, there are times when it goes up - a big crowd of customers, or it's raining for example. I befriended a driver who often stops outside my apartment and booked him for my special trip - I also have a private taxi driver's number in my phone.

My real point is that: in Pattaya you have a reasonably priced public transport network that works 95% of the time - in Phuket you certainly do not!

As Udox said above - these are my experiences and I've spent enough time in both Phuket (in the days when it was fun) and Pattaya (now) to be able to count myself amongst the experienced long stay visitors. I also have several friends in both places whose views match mine. I speak as I find!

Finally as to the stupid people who cannot be bothered to learn the customary fare (you mentioned Russians but there are others) well they'll learn soon enough and if they don't, serve them right!

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Last night i walked home, as my mrs is preggers and I didnt want her to drive the bike & the car was having a service. As i walker through Patong I was not only harssed but followed for a good half KM by 1 motorbike taxi demanding (in a drunken slurr) i take his taxi home. HE was becoming very upset that I was firstly ignoring him & that dare rebuke his offer.

This is a chance to improve the reputation of tuk tuk and taxi drivers in Phuket. Instead of threaten the bus drivers with violence they should look to lower their prices to acceptable levels which would offer tourists a practical alternative.

but then their workload would double and they would need to make a second trip every day.

Why does the Thai government allow the mafia to control Phuket!

government officals are part of the Mafia, why would they not protect their investments.sad.png

Another idea is to have one of the passengers work undercover agent to protect passengers...Just an idea.. Have Gun will TRAVEL!....remember the TV series "Half Gun will Travel"...Happy Trails to you!...Roy Rogers..whistling.gif

I was the only person left in the baht bus in Pattaya in the circle from 2nd road to beach road, instead of going straight ahead, he turned left, obviously to go down to beach road. He stopped and said to me "where you go" I said near Big C, he said "I go this way" or something like that, I just shrugged my shoulders and walked away with the intention of just getting on the next baht bus, he shouted after me "you pay" I said "I not pay" and walked away. If there were any other Thai men around, I would have paid as I do not fancy taking on about six Thai cowards.

Suggest each bus has a small contingent of armed troops on them.

I quite agree, and if the taxis and tuk tuk get aggresive shoot the bastards. That's all they deserve for holding the transport to ransom. Way too soft here. Perhaps bring in the Israelis??

Posts in violation of fair use policy have been removed. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

A profanity post was removed as well.

Due diligence done well then: "will there be any viable opposition to us operating these buses? Before we pay for them, that is?"

Along with the jet ski inspections last week, on behalf of the Chinese Consulate..."great service for tourists", seems like the powers that be are on top of it all and all is rosy in the neighbourhood .