Bangkok's Top 10 Most Crime-Prone Places

webfact

Bangkok's top 10 most crime-prone places
By Coconuts Bangkok

13584_IMG_0675-578x433.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The robbery and assault of Thai Post reporter Suwat Panjawong has raised street safety concerns among Bangkok residents. As reported yesterday by Coconuts, robbers slashed Suwat’s throat in an effort to steal his Nokia 3600 mobile phone, worth THB9,000.

The BMA’s list of the top 10 most dangerous places in Bangkok, shown below, provides a helpful guide to locations that you should avoid visiting alone, particularly between 7pm to 11pm.

1. Soi Lat Phrao 101, under the jurisdiction of the Lat Phrao police station.

2. Soi Lat Phrao 107, under the jurisdiction of the Lat Phrao police station.

3. Soi Sukhumvit 105 or Soi Lasal, under the jurisdiction of the Bangna police station.

4. Soi Phaholyothin 52, under the jurisdiction of the Bang Khen police station.

5. Soi Suphaphong, under the jurisdiction of the Phra Khanong police station.

6. Soi On Nut 44, under the jurisdiction of the Phra Khanong police station.

7. Soi Chalermprakiat 14, under the jurisdiction of the Bangna police station.

Full story: http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/news/bangkoks-top-10-most-crime-prone-places/

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-03-v

For 3. Soi Sukhumvit 105 or Soi Lasal, 5. Soi Suphaphong, 6. Soi On Nut 44 and 7. Soi Chalermprakiat 14, the one thing they clearly have in common is a multitude of possible escape routes. I do not know the other areas, being a Prakanongite, and can't be bothered checking the map. However, it would not surprise me if they all have the same common feature. The soi where I live also has a very bad name for muggings and one of the highest figures for motorcycle theft. But, I have lived there for over 12 years and never seen any trouble. Just because you don't see it does not mean it is not happening.

• Like 1

Samrong or the Bearing area has had a bad reputation for a long time. The first time I went to the Imperial Shopping Center there, I saw a gang fight in McDonald's with over 20 kids involved. No security came by and no one tried to stop the fight. It ended when the gang wanted it to end. As a previous poster said, if you don't speak thai, you never understand what people are saying even if they say it straight to your face. I've heard more than a few thai guys remark that a particular foreigner carries a lot of money. However, you will not find out until you go into an area where no one else is around. Thai criminals are smart: no witnesses....

So true, I once saw a girl pull another girl by her hair off a moving motorcycle while saying "ka"

You do not see it because it is in Thai language and they say in very polite tones to each other pay up or I will cut off your member and rape your wife with it then shoot you both... krap.

I would think that it has something to do with desperation. Like.. the poorer the area is - more possibility that you'll get into trouble, during certain time periods (when there are no witnesses).

Kids.. fighting, that's not a crime. It's kids.

I would think that it has something to do with desperation. Like.. the poorer the area is - more possibility that you'll get into trouble, during certain time periods (when there are no witnesses).

It's a crime if there are more than fists involved and if someone gets hurt.

You mean like the recent case where a gang of teenagers used a knife to hack off a bunch of another teenager's fingers?

Or the one before that where some teenagers shot to death a perfectly innocent other teenager when they mistook him for the wrong person?

Just kids stuff like that???

If all we ever had was a host of individuals telling personal anecdotes, we would remain ignorant and lacking Knowledge, capital K. It really has no bearing at all on set of reliable statistics about a phenomenon - eg, a large number of attacks in location XXX, if an individual living in XXX has never (yet) been attacked there. That lucky history is completely Irrelevant to Knowledge if the statistics are accurate and well-founded - but if you feel a need to tell a website about your personal luck, well, go ahead and enjoy;

Let's just hope the excellent Thai statisticians who researched and compiled this supposed crime data are at least as qualified as all the pollsters who, supposedly based on polling and later exit-poll data, broadly mis-forecast the recent BKK gubernatorial election. Thais and statistics are indeed a dangerous mix. tongue.png

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Ok, i don't know why i should care, but as an ex-philosophy teacher and a lover of logic, there is something worth saying about the waste of space represented by many comments on here. Every time a report appears that has the form of a generalisation about an aspect of life in Thailand, a whole posse of commentators think it is worth saying something like : 'Well i live near there and nothing bad has ever happened to me' etc. (See above). That kind of statement may be called 'personal knowledge' or one person's experience retold as an anecdote. It is 'true' but on its own it has little to do with the 'Truth'. Is is a basic Fact - like an empirical observation. From a large collection of such facts, a larger truth might be induced, and gradually a statistical measure built up. In this topic, after a significant number of personal experiences (attacks) are recorded, it becomes possible to make generalised statements about the relative risks of attack in each area reported upon. This amounts to the culture of Statistics overcoming Ignorance. If all we ever had was a host of individuals telling personal anecdotes, we would remain ignorant and lacking Knowledge, capital K. It really has no bearing at all on set of reliable statistics about a phenomenon - eg, a large number of attacks in location XXX, if an individual living in XXX has never (yet) been attacked there. That lucky history is completely Irrelevant to Knowledge if the statistics are accurate and well-founded - but if you feel a need to tell a website about your personal luck, well, go ahead and enjoy; but it carries no weight whatsoever if it is intended to be part of an attempt to disprove an objectively-generated statement about some aspect of human existence. None of this ignores the fact that publications of unreliable statistics are also, a waste of space. That's a very different topic.

I have to say that after reading this through ( 3 times to be truthful) there is more common sense and logic than in a hundred posts.....Lookingeast I guess you must get pretty frustrated here sometimes, but thank you for the enlightened commentsthumbsup.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

The hours mentioned 7:00 pm to 11:00 pm make me wonder about this.

Does this mean that other areas are in the top 10 after 11:00 pm?

Does it also mean that the 10 mentioned are safe (or safer) after 11:00 pm?

I would suggest that this report is just parroting what the BIB issued. I would further suggest that 11:00 pm to 03:00 am is probably a more dangerous time to be out & about in quiet areas of the city.

Edited by khunken

Rubbish. Whenever I'm out and about places like that (which is NEVER ... Except when I was doing private classes at victory monument) I'm ALWAYS on the look out. No matter what time of day -- and no matter what place. I treat Thailand like I do Manila. It's getting there.

Ok, i don't know why i should care, but as an ex-philosophy teacher and a lover of logic, there is something worth saying about the waste of space represented by many comments on here. Every time a report appears that has the form of a generalisation about an aspect of life in Thailand, a whole posse of commentators think it is worth saying something like : 'Well i live near there and nothing bad has ever happened to me' etc. (See above). That kind of statement may be called 'personal knowledge' or one person's experience retold as an anecdote. It is 'true' but on its own it has little to do with the 'Truth'. Is is a basic Fact - like an empirical observation. From a large collection of such facts, a larger truth might be induced, and gradually a statistical measure built up. In this topic, after a significant number of personal experiences (attacks) are recorded, it becomes possible to make generalised statements about the relative risks of attack in each area reported upon. This amounts to the culture of Statistics overcoming Ignorance. If all we ever had was a host of individuals telling personal anecdotes, we would remain ignorant and lacking Knowledge, capital K. It really has no bearing at all on set of reliable statistics about a phenomenon - eg, a large number of attacks in location XXX, if an individual living in XXX has never (yet) been attacked there. That lucky history is completely Irrelevant to Knowledge if the statistics are accurate and well-founded - but if you feel a need to tell a website about your personal luck, well, go ahead and enjoy; but it carries no weight whatsoever if it is intended to be part of an attempt to disprove an objectively-generated statement about some aspect of human existence. None of this ignores the fact that publications of unreliable statistics are also, a waste of space. That's a very different topic.

Good but very unusual post for a TV comment thread. Perhaps it would have been more helpful for improving our knowledge of crime areas in Bangkok if the article had posted some statistics to support the list. An anecdotal story and then a list with zero stats from a source that is unknown may not be as valuable as a "generalized statement" from someone who lives on the soi.

Perhaps it would have been more helpful for improving our knowledge of crime areas in Bangkok if the article had posted some statistics to support the list.

The coconuts story is pretty generic, but if you click their source link for the MCOT article, it does give a bit more information.

Sweet ! . i live at Suk 105 . . . haha . . . never seen any bad here?.. strange . .

The police station has a map of the area around Suk 105. There is a pink pin stuck in the map at the location of your home. Maybe they are not showing where crime takes place, but where there is going to be trouble in the near future. Be afraid, be very afraid......

• Like 1