Austin Mini Cooper

groo

Hi Been a fan of this car and find that its an awesome car to have. Do we have some of the forum members who have this car to show?? Post your pictures!!

It's a 1969 Cooper "S" 1370cc aspirated by a Webber 43DCOE side draught, and in full race tune.

It goes to the odd meeting, but otherwise lives in it's garage.

post-7622-1142563219_thumb.jpg

This was my Mini Cooper S 1997 model chassis I had when living in the UK. However, the pic attached was taken in NZ by the girl I sold it to there.

Really miss that car, but wasn't going to risk importing it to Thailand.

post-5600-1142563888_thumb.jpg

There appears to be a loophole with these cars in terms of importings. A Thai student I know studying in the UK is looking to import a 2000 model. Apparently it was the last in that line of 'old style' models, before they started building the new ones.

Anyway, he is buying one and basically going to hold onto it for 2 years while he finishes his studies. His estimate is that he can import here all up, taxes, tea money or 1 million THB, but the retail cost here in LOS for that same 2000 model is starting to climb.

The loophole is that he will get certain customs exemptions for already owning the car in the UK for a required amount of time, plus, because this particular model is discontinued, the applicable base prices which customs uses to calculate its duties is much lower.

The people involved seem to know what they are doing. I wish I had done the same, I was living in the UK and I bought my stuff over duty free...should have had a car with that as well!