20 Ft Shipping Containers (Chonburi)

mascarakatze

Google it. Fairly expensive in Thailand. They export more than import.

A few places down on the eastern seaboard.

I was thinking about it but found other modular ideas.

There is a company that do knock down container's here in Thailand.

Edited by thaicbr

IIRC I've seen several places on the side of the motorway. Whether they sell them or not is a different matter.

Am I being naive or wouldn't they be very hot or cost a load in air con. Would it be cheaper to pay a steel stockholders to fabricate one than buy one (especially if you are removing half the steel for windows or buy the steel and weld it to what ever dimensions you want or building with concrete or smartboard be cheaper and cooler ?

Edited by arthurwait

Key benefit is the watertight and anti-theft security aspect, drop it and your onsite storage is secure. And portability, up and take it away on short notice if needed.

In places that import more than they export, especially v/v China, they can be purchased for very little, far less than fabricating your own. Don't know about here, looks like USD 2K and up, not that cheap.

They must be insulated, unless you find a reefer cheap which is rare. Also much better just as a regular house to put it in the shade.

Have to be careful about the insecticides in the wood floor and the paint.

And of course if you do modify the shell itself you lose the safety certification for shipping by sea, from then on domestic by truck/rail only.

Google it. Fairly expensive in Thailand. They export more than import.

A few places down on the eastern seaboard.

I was thinking about it but found other modular ideas.

There is a company that do knock down container's here in Thailand.

Hi,

Was thinking about the container option as well, but the container price seemed disproportionate however, would be interested in your "other modular ideas" if you'd care to share.

Regards

There's a lot more to it than meets the eye. Those things are hot. You need to install some windows and a door. I'd want a door at both ends for safety - escaping a fire. Now they are no longer any more secure than any other building.

They are hotter than hades. The best thing to do with one is to build another structure over it to shade it.

Putting wiring and plumbing in one is a challenge. So is insulating it. Many people build walls of 2x4 inside, to carry those items and to have a place for insulation. Then they cover that with sheet rock.

I would far rather have the same thing stick-built of wood, but on skids. We have many such structures here but not for housing. They are for storage and they can be made to look very nice. We have a building code that allows us to build up to 120 square feet (about 10 sq m) with no permission or permit. If we are the owner, we are allowed to build it ourselves, wire and plumb it ourselves. This is a nod to farmers and rural people and is only allowed outside of city limits.

They must be portable, therefore the skids. I'd lay down 5 6x10 inch skids, each 12 foot long. Just lumber, and pressure treated if desired. Then I'd lay a floor on that, squaring it up, and be off to the races. It doesn't cost much to buy the materials for walls and a roof. Now you have a structure that is easy to wire, plumb and insulate, and that has an attic of sorts with vents. It could also be winched up onto a flat bed rollback wrecker and moved.

I think the cost of buying the shipping container would be the small part of the cost of making it into housing, and the finished product wouldn't be as nice or as cheap as something stick built.

There's a lot more to it than meets the eye. Those things are hot. You need to install some windows and a door. I'd want a door at both ends for safety - escaping a fire. Now they are no longer any more secure than any other building.

They are hotter than hades. The best thing to do with one is to build another structure over it to shade it.

Putting wiring and plumbing in one is a challenge. So is insulating it. Many people build walls of 2x4 inside, to carry those items and to have a place for insulation. Then they cover that with sheet rock.

I would far rather have the same thing stick-built of wood, but on skids. We have many such structures here but not for housing. They are for storage and they can be made to look very nice. We have a building code that allows us to build up to 120 square feet (about 10 sq m) with no permission or permit. If we are the owner, we are allowed to build it ourselves, wire and plumb it ourselves. This is a nod to farmers and rural people and is only allowed outside of city limits.

They must be portable, therefore the skids. I'd lay down 5 6x10 inch skids, each 12 foot long. Just lumber, and pressure treated if desired. Then I'd lay a floor on that, squaring it up, and be off to the races. It doesn't cost much to buy the materials for walls and a roof. Now you have a structure that is easy to wire, plumb and insulate, and that has an attic of sorts with vents. It could also be winched up onto a flat bed rollback wrecker and moved.

I think the cost of buying the shipping container would be the small part of the cost of making it into housing, and the finished product wouldn't be as nice or as cheap as something stick built.

But with anything wood built you have to beware of the termites.. also wood is extremely expensive here in Thailand.. I have opted for thinking more along the lines of steel frame to hold the roof. then either the insulated wall panels or the interlocking bricks... or both.. i really like the look of the bricks.

Whether you want to be able to easily relocate the building(s) is a pretty fundamental criterion that will drive the rest of the design.

If that's not important then you've got much cheaper and less restrictive options available.

IMO massive walls aren't suitable for this climate, need a low-mass envelope that will lose the heat quickly in the evening, ideally with a lot of shade and air circulation across all surfaces, as well as easy high-throughput ventilation for when you don't need to run the air con.

There's a reason the traditional Thai slatted-on-stilts houses evolved that way, but if you're using aircon (hopefully only part of the time) you'll need to insulate and be able to seal things up pretty tight while it's running.