Did I See This Or Was I Dreaming

meatboy

this morning on nbt news channel its reported T.A.T.are to launch a campain for tourists to use bicyclesw00t.gif

where they would ride is a mystery,

is it to give the tuk tuk mafia a new business venture,

or help struggling hospitals,must they have insurance if so from who'm,

dont tell me this is to start from april 1st.

SO GET ON YOUR BIKE.

I see bicycle tour groups coming through my BKK neighborhood all the time, and across the river from Khlong Toei the "green lung" district does a brisk trade renting bikes by the day, as well as groups coming over on long-tail boats.

I also have several friends that commute to work by bike, one over 20 km from over Thonburi side, but personally I think in BKK traffic they're nuts, not just in danger of getting run over but the extra pollution is just as bad as smoking a pack a day.

So no it's not unheard of. . .

maybe they can do bike tours down walking st.rename it riding or peddling avenue.

see the scenery tour karon to patong and back.

dodge em ride sukhumvit rd.

save on taxi fare peddle into bkk.from airport.

could be a new promortion for t.a.t. your life in our hands.

Must have been a dream, how on earth could you motivate a western tourist to ride a bicycle at 35degree celcius?

I don't know, but I've never seen a bicycle rider smile at any temperture, unless their under 12.

I see bicycle tour groups coming through my BKK neighborhood all the time, and across the river from Khlong Toei the "green lung" district does a brisk trade renting bikes by the day, as well as groups coming over on long-tail boats.

I also have several friends that commute to work by bike, one over 20 km from over Thonburi side, but personally I think in BKK traffic they're nuts, not just in danger of getting run over but the extra pollution is just as bad as smoking a pack a day.

many years ago i was a bicycle messenger in a major urban center who smoked a pack a day, i was insanely fit.

a 20 km cycle to work is doing your friend way more benefit than harm, but then somewhere deep down inside, you knew that and are just making excuses.

Must have been a dream, how on earth could you motivate a western tourist to ride a bicycle at 35degree celcius?

I don't know, but I've never seen a bicycle rider smile at any temperture, unless their under 12.

no they smile when they are done because they feel fookin great

There are cycle tours around BKK. One place out of Suk Soi 26 in BKK runs a bike tour which seems to be very popular.

There are other companies which run more long distance tours - ie BKK to Siem Riep etc. Things like this are of definete interest to me.

no they smile when they are done because they feel fookin great

Thanks for telling me how I felt doing 10 miles roundtrip to work and back everyday. You learn something new everyday on TV.

many years ago i was a bicycle messenger in a major urban center who smoked a pack a day, i was insanely fit.

a 20 km cycle to work is doing your friend way more benefit than harm, but then somewhere deep down inside, you knew that and are just making excuses.

are they all tourists?next they will be printing copies of the highway code.

You might think so, but actually I think getting your cardio in the middle of heavy commuter traffic pollution, combined with the risk of accidents would result in shorter lifespans on average if lots of people did it.

Doing half as much biking but on country roads would be of much greater benefit and safer.

IMO.

If you frequented the LP travel forum, Thailand branch, you'd be aware that many tourists ride bicycles in Thailand, and that companies in Bkk exist to provide cycle tours of that city.

Mind you, I think you'd have to be barking to cycle tour in LOS or ride a bike in Bkk,

BTW, some enterprising city official thought it would be a good idea to to paint lines for a cycle path on the Sukhumvit pavement, a few years agocheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif .

Riding bikes in Thailand, great, I like the idea of promoting it.

Why not promote this activity as recreational or a way to keep fit in Thailand?

What’s wrong with riding in Thailand? OK, there is one thing that does piss me right off about riding where I live…………………….The firking smog this time of year, just can’t ride, (I get a cough just looking at my bike at the moment)

But when the smog lifts, Thailand has some of the best riding, any time of the year, (trail and off-road) in the world………”I love it I do”.

People say “dangerous roads”……………….Then get off-road, there are thousands and thousands of miles, many novice friendly trail all over this country. If Dangerous roads are your augment go find some trials. I also hear, “it’s too hot”………….Go first thing in the morning, or end of the day. Over time you will get fitter and the heat will not affect you so much.

If you’re lucky enough to be in the north, even in the ‘hot’ season, riding early in the morning, off-road, out in the sticks…It can get a little chilly sometimes.

If you have been thinking of getting a bike, or the one you have has been taken over by a big ass spider, time to hit them there trials, a little known fact biking is not only good for the waist line but it’s also very good for your mental well being.

However if you are just don’t like the idea of riding…….Then don’t, you don’t owe anyone

an excuses.

Edited by Tonto21
  • Like 1

You'll be surprised once you move faster than 10 mile per hour, how cool it will feel. You might have to wear a jacket. whistling.gif

Serious bike riders and tourists on rented bicycles are two entirely different things. I see tourists on bicycles wobbling around Chiang Mai every day. Many don't have a clue when it comes to how traffic flows in Thailand. The Chinese at Christmas and their New Years were even worse. Chiang Mai was full of them and you had to be constantly aware of them wobbling along through red lights without a care in the world.

I'm all for bicycles. I ride one all the time in Canada, but I find it much safer on a motorbike in Thailand. At least I have mirrors and know who is coming up behind.

I go cycling and have seen a few other farangs as well when I hardly ever see farangs here.

I'll only go early morning or late afternoon/evening. One of the wifes cousins wanted to start a cycling tour business in Bangkok who has never done a minutes exercise in her life. I had to do a trial with the staff and wife and cousin, as they are so unfit it took all day in the sun. Quite enjoyable, but the daytime heat made it unpleasant.

Serious bike riders and tourists on rented bicycles are two entirely different things. I see tourists on bicycles wobbling around Chiang Mai every day. Many don't have a clue when it comes to how traffic flows in Thailand. The Chinese at Christmas and their New Years were even worse. Chiang Mai was full of them and you had to be constantly aware of them wobbling along through red lights without a care in the world.

I'm all for bicycles. I ride one all the time in Canada, but I find it much safer on a motorbike in Thailand. At least I have mirrors and know who is coming up behind.

That's the thing. It's not advisable to drive a car here until you have been driven by someone else for at least 6 months just to learn how bad the driving is here.

Fresh of the plane and renting a bike is not good.

the wf. just told me its not long ago that two round the world cyclists got killed in bkk.

IIRC while on a motorbike and I don't think it was in Bangkok.

17th.feb.it was reported that peter root and mary thomson were killed while cycling just ouside bkk.they were on a world tour and had already visited 23 countries,both were very experianced cyclists but were mowed down by a truck.

i have nothing against cycling but t.a.t.should address the issue of some sort of road safety.you have motor bikes riding the walkways,also riding against traffic,trying to cross a road on a bike that would be maddness,do you think anybody is going to give way

i used to like cycling and was one of a few in wales that owned a claud butler and also ran a cycle club but sorry unless you are in some remorte area of thailand and till road safety is made an issue then you are dicing with death.

i now read that the pm.wants t.a.t. to start attracting high end tourists all well and good but start addressing the problems.