Wife To Australia

During the interview at the embassy on Dec 12th, I asked the case officer if it was permitted to obtain a tourist visa for my wife to join me whilst the visa application was being processed. I didn't get a direct answer, just "I wouldn't advise it, there will be no need". Not wanting to "rock the boat" I didnt persist in obtaining a direct answer and took this reply as "don't wast your money, you will get the visa soon", knowing that they can not and will not give any indication of if or when you might get the visa.

After two months, I phoned the case officer and asked once again (yes, I suppose I was "fishing"). I got the same answer, "I wouldnt advise it" but this time she also said it might not be granted, even though my wife had visited Australia on four previous occassions, three times to visit me and once for the Thai Education Authority to Sydney.

I phoned immigration in Australia at this time and they told me it is up to the discretion of your case officer! So basically, I am still none the wiser. We were very close to putting it to the test as my wife and I are missing each other so badly and its getting worse day by day. But after reading this forum, we may wait a little longer.

Paul

During the interview at the embassy on Dec 12th, I asked the case officer if it was permitted to obtain a tourist visa for my wife to join me whilst the visa application was being processed. I didn't get a direct answer, just "I wouldn't advise it, there will be no need". Not wanting to "rock the boat" I didnt persist in obtaining a direct answer and took this reply as "don't wast your money, you will get the visa soon", knowing that they can not and will not give any indication of if or when you might get the visa.

After two months, I phoned the case officer and asked once again (yes, I suppose I was "fishing"). I got the same answer, "I wouldnt advise it" but this time she also said it might not be granted, even though my wife had visited Australia on four previous occassions, three times to visit me and once for the Thai Education Authority to Sydney.

I phoned immigration in Australia at this time and they told me it is up to the discretion of your case officer! So basically, I am still none the wiser. We were very close to putting it to the test as my wife and I are missing each other so badly and its getting worse day by day. But after reading this forum, we may wait a little longer.

Paul

The Immigration reserves the right to limit the amount of tourist visas issued to any one person....from previous reports this seems to be the magical 3 times, although I have heard of more than 3 being issued.

Another reason why she might advise against it is that it seems and we havent confirmed this..is that it could be that the Spouse visa process maybe delayed if the applicant travels overseas during the process procedure.

Immigration laws change virtually daily and it is difficult to stay atop of it...If you can receive any confirmation on why she said that, it would be appreciated.

Graham

We were very close to putting it to the test as my wife and I are missing each other so badly and its getting worse day by day. But after reading this forum, we may wait a little longer.

I know how you feel. We were on the verge of putting it to the test ourselves when unexpectedly we got the visa. On that very day I was researching thai visas for me to move to bkk! So all I can say is there's hope you won't have to test it yourself...

When we got police check we just went to the main police station told them what it was for waited 8-10 days I think, and recieved the police check. Really straight forward. Then gave to DIMA Bangkok.

If u travel back to Oz when the spouse visa is being processed then when it is approved u need to come back here to get it lodged in the wife's passport.

The case officers here in Thailand are like dealing with a nurse Ratchet from One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest. Somtimes it helps to throw the water fountain thru the window.

My experience was when I asked for explanations from the Thai CO's they were rarely able to give an explanation as to why they said what they said. It wasn't till I spoke with an OZ based worker that I had a plausable explanation given.

Don't be afraid of these people. The more u give ur power away the more control they will take over ur life.

Read what ur rights are, maybe speak to ur local member and ask them thru the process where the application is and is there anything u can supply further.

Being married in Australia I think helps; u need to supply extract from Births Deaths and Marriages in the application. My feeling was this holds more weight then a Thai marriage.

Keep asking questions, somtimes u get a lot of comfort to hear from people that care. ease the frustration of the process. :o

Chris, my last call to the embassy just kept sending me to an info line if I didnt know the persons extension number. Do you know how to get in touch with any of the Australian officials at the embassy to enquire about our application?

Paul

Chris, my last call to the embassy just kept sending me to an info line if I didnt know the persons extension number. Do you know how to get in touch with any of the Australian officials at the embassy to enquire about our application?

Paul

Paul I am awear of the stupid answering machine at the embassy but you can get throught to an officer. You can only call between 2.30pm - 4.30pm (weekdays). Just follow the prompts until you get to the one that says "to speak to an officer regarding you visa application press ???".

In regards to the police check that people were talking about earlier its easy and no letter from the OZ embassy is required, however it does say you need one on the website (dont know why??) Just take your missus (with passport, ID card and family book!) to the headquarters and it takes about 20 minutes.

Regarding the medical, if you live a long way from Bangkok (like me), call the VFS and they will give you the name of an acceptable hospital closest to you, no need to go to Bangkok!

cheers :o

Thanks Dave. I will give it a go. Will this get me an Aussie official?

My wife did all of this herself. Got the police clearance, medical, translations, all prepared before we submitted. She also had to get a medical for her 9 year old son who is obviously coming too!

Paul

Dave's spot on with police check. We then had to wait for some days for the police check to be ready.

Medicals, u need a authorised doctor that has been approved by DIMA. I think u can get these off the web.

Regarding the contact officer, yes u do have to wait for the 2.30 time, but I tend to use the email. U can use the email and mark it to the attention of ....... This is also documenting that u have contacted them. I always am very straight when I use the email, I don't go Thai in my approach but am direct in what I want. When speaking with the Thai's at the embassy I found it was easier being a softc##k with them. But this is not for me, as I became none the wiser as to what is happening.

As far as I am concerned, the Thai CO showed little compasion when the acid was put on them; they were unable to answer basic questions; like where is the application at, have u completed this part of the application, do u need any further information to review the application.

I spoke to the Principal officer in Bangkok, who has only recently been replaced. He was straight shooter in answering questions. The other guy at the embassy Rob was also good. The first case officer we got would not even talk about the Oz based guys in the embassy. Very ducks and drakes.

If u cant get thru to who u want to talk to, and remeber u have rights as to who u choose to speak too, get the name of the person and then document this to the Minister. Don't mess around with these people. Be straight up and down with them. They are not ur friend so don't think u will get on with them after the application is over.

Are u also aware that they breach a serious policy if they don't first identify themselves. Read this in their charter for client service. If u don't push them u get nothing. The Thai women I spoke to doing the application with partner in OZ, were all over 6 months; all spoke good English and were all fed up with the process. But the feedback on this forum is that 2-3 months is the norm.

As u can see I am not an advocate for the softly softly concept. It works for some but not for me. I just think out of this the Dept here has a lot of fixing up to do; for example the Dept has no way of gauging customer satisfaction, client feed back and relies on the notes of CO if there is a dispute. Do u think a co would own up to a mistake if they made one and it was not written in their notes? From my own personal experience this is the case.

I don't know if u remember, but the Dept is not from U.N.C.L.E. or interpol; more the Keystone cops. I think they just sit on things and hope u get frustrated; with a frustration gauge in their office to see who goes thru this week and who we can raise frustration in the others over the next few weeks or months.

Any way I have rambled on enough, but don't let them push u around; because as a human being u and your family don't deserve this. Remeber this and push forward. :o

With regards to the Health Requirements.

If the applicant has had Hepatitis B, will this make her ineligible for a SV.

Is it possible to speak to someone at the embassy to get a general answer prior submitting an application?

Obviously TB or AIDS would mean no SV but HepB - it is very common in SE Asia.

Any advice (about visas, not HepB's medical aspects) gratefully received.

Is it possible to speak to someone at the embassy to get a general answer prior submitting an application?

HIV does not prevent u from getting a SV. Their is evidence that DIMA has approved these. TB I believe is the same.

HEP B is a blood borne virus. The HBV test shows that you have come into contact with the virus and is an indication that u have had the virus.

Why, if u are not currently suffering the virus would this prevent u from obtaining the SV? Try some searches on the internet to see if this has been dealt with befor at DIMA. On the whole I don't think there is much to worry about.

Anyone who has had a hep A B C E F G, the first 3 are the most common another but not sure is common in s.e.asia, is advised from drinking to much alcohol. The reason for this is the complications alcohol in a poor functioning liver can add. If the Liver function blood tests are OK, that is the ALT, Ast & GGT enzyme levels are normal then not much to worry about.

Hope that has helped

Form1071i deals with this....

TB is the only condition that prevents entry to Oz

Hep B is considered low risk but further tests maybe required and undertakings given.