Leopard Cats In Mae Taeng

T_Dog

We've been finding occasional leopard scat and markings riding in the hills here in Mae Taeng. Looks like we have at least Leopard Cats based on this news story from Mae Taeng, but some of the scat is quite a bit bigger. Nothing like riding on the wild side!

http://www.cm108.com/bbb/index.php?/topic/56359-aao-zcoaaeaeioaauaeoaezeo-aeaaeoaeoaoceo/

• Like 1

Guess residents saw the mother sprinting away and then took the cub. Would have been better to leave the cub, leave the area, and let the mother come and reclaim the kitten. Rather sad to see an animal getting rare removed from its natural state.

• Like 1

I actually saw one of these when riding in Mae Rim in December or January. It leapt across the trail about 25 feet ahead of me. Very distinctive markings. I was amazed to see one in an area that's mostly farms, so I'm not surprised that they're up in Mae Taeng as well. Wish I had had a GoPro!

• Like 1

You are very lucky there Puwa! I've had several experiences with cougars back in Idaho and Montana but no live leopard sightings here yet. Scary thing is that some of the scat we have found is quite large. Large enough to be a black panther which is known to be resident near the Burmese border. Those are scary cats to be sharing the woods with.

This is what I saw (I think): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marbled_cat

Not a leopard, but definitely bigger than even the largest domestic cat, and with a long bushy tail.

Boy, that cat does have a distinctive bushy tail. There are also clouded leopards in isolated areas which are similar but more rare. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clouded_leopard

I think the Leopard would consider the Marbled Cat a food source. Cool sightings and scat report.

What other strange or interesting critters have you guys seen?

A few years back along the canal where the new convention center is built,

I saw a 3+ meter Python making its way down to the water at dusk. Huge snake.

Another time off the road to Soi Suthep I saw what I thought was a Baboon. Except they are only from Africa right?

The Baboon seemed confused and walking in big circles. I am pretty sure it was Zoo escape. How many zoo animals have escaped. Are they breeding and prospering or being featured as a hill tribe main dinner course?

Are there indigenous primates in these forests?

Any sightings?

I had a Leopard chasing a dog, jump through an open window, run across my living room and out the kitchen door..

We were living in Zambia at the time, but you still don't expect that sort of surprise while having a cuppa and watching the box :)

Not sure if it caught up with the dog, that thing was hauling ass...

• Like 2

CobraSNT....Most common critter we see on our ride outs would have to be the honey badger. Every week I see one waddling up the trail to get away from us. Mongoose are fairly common as well but they are normally streaking across the trail. I've heard of folks seeing bears and gibbons but I haven't been that lucky. There is a lot of wildlife the further from humanity that you get and of course the bird life is rather diverse as well.

• Like 1

I think the Leopard would consider the Marbled Cat a food source. Cool sightings and scat report.

Another time off the road to Soi Suthep I saw what I thought was a Baboon. Except they are only from Africa right?

The Baboon seemed confused and walking in big circles. I am pretty sure it was Zoo escape. How many zoo animals have escaped. Are they breeding and prospering or being featured as a hill tribe main dinner course?

Any sightings?

Farang, no. Kon Thai, yes.

How are you defining "indigenous primates"?

I assume you're not asking about caged animals held captive in the city. Most of the primates have been hunted to extinction.

We saw a macaque run across the Mae Wang - Mae Win road a few months ago. I'd like to think he was "wild" but my guess is that he escaped from captivity.

If you want gibbons, there's always Flight of the Gibbon. There hasn't been a confirmed gibbon sighting nearby as long as I've been here. If one has migrated here that would be an even sadder state of affairs.

Any sightings?

Farang, no. Kon Thai, yes.

How are you defining "indigenous primates"?

I assume you're not asking about caged animals held captive in the city. Most of the primates have been hunted to extinction.

We saw a macaque run across the Mae Wang - Mae Win road a few months ago. I'd like to think he was "wild" but my guess is that he escaped from captivity.

If you want gibbons, there's always Flight of the Gibbon. There hasn't been a confirmed gibbon sighting nearby as long as I've been here. If one has migrated here that would be an even sadder state of affairs.

sorry I meant to say lower primates

Thanks for the info