Cafe Racer - Anyone Done One?

AllanB

Thinking of building a Cafe Racer, there is a bike up for grabs at decent money, but no book, a Honda VRF750, Saw this picture of a nice converted one and fancy doing a similar style.

If anyone has done one? Would appreciate some advice, is the bike suitable and what pitfalls particular to Thailand

post-103189-0-65260700-1364478791_thumb..

That's true, the original Cafe Racers were modified by their owners for little or no money, the idea being to take a bike that couldn't do a ton, then lighten, tune and streamline it so it would. Then go and beat the duke-box record in a race, so anything goes really.

There seems to be a difference of opinion on the need for a book, a couple of guys have said they have ridden for years without a book and had no problems, others say the bike can be confiscated. Others say you can bride the police if you are stopped, others say some money can be paid and a book procured, both of which sound right for Thailand.

That's true, the original Cafe Racers were modified by their owners for little or no money, the idea being to take a bike that couldn't do a ton, then lighten, tune and streamline it so it would. Then go and beat the duke-box record in a race, so anything goes really.

There seems to be a difference of opinion on the need for a book, a couple of guys have said they have ridden for years without a book and had no problems, others say the bike can be confiscated. Others say you can bride the police if you are stopped, others say some money can be paid and a book procured, both of which sound right for Thailand.

I'd rather ride illegal than marry a Thai copper!!! biggrin.png

• Like 1

I looked at building one out of a CB550, 650, or 750 or a Virago 750, but I kept running into a few problems. No plate/greenbook, piss poor condition, or just too far away to go look at a bike, so I'm settling on picking up an er6n. No worries on finding parts that way too...

If you have the $$$, a w650 makes a sick looking brat/cafe

• 3 weeks later...

Some of these bikes you are suggesting are, to my mind, not really candidates for cafe racers, they will already do a ton, my feelings are that you take a bike that won't and modify it so it will.

That SR400 looks good, but the vast majority here don't have green books.

Some of these bikes you are suggesting are, to my mind, not really candidates for cafe racers, they will already do a ton, my feelings are that you take a bike that won't and modify it so it will.

Where are you located as i know a sr400 here in pattaya its old and would be ideal if u have the know how.

Seems I have been barking up the wrong tree with the SR400, I sat on one today and it is very small, I am 6 foot, mostly legs and not at all comfortable, two up would be a squash, so looks aren't everything, as I tell the girls.

I also saw another Virago, still like them, especially if I could get rid of some of that gaudy chrome, I seen one of those chopped a bit.

Anyone got a 400/535?

Edited by AllanB

What differ a 'cafe racer' from any other mc ?

i did a beer holder on my chopper, is that it ?

No no, my friend.....if you take the beer holder off, making it lighter, then you have a true Cafe Racer. Then duck down when you are riding it, cutting down wind resistance, then you definitely have a CR.

I just saw your inquire on Virago & chrome, i know some thought it was too much chrome on it.

i have an 1100 and did the decent thing of making the pipes powder-coated,

i didnt actually mind the look of chrome but got fed up with polishing, and as a side effect chrome amount went down.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/585987-honda-phantom-saddle-bags-and-anti-rust-measures/#entry5749193

Edited by poanoi

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one off the shelf- 2010 Triumph Thruxton but I would love to find a 70's CB Honda 250/360/450 and do it up like the one pictured above. That is a very nice example of what a cafe racer is all about. There are some about but now highly priced.

Where are you located as i know a sr400 here in pattaya its old and would be ideal if u have the know how.

Any more details on this SR ?