Certificate Of Residency From Cm Immigration

pete66

I need a certificate of residency from CM Immigration office. Is this an easy thing to get? I am in the first 3-months of an education visa.

1) What paperwork will I need to take along? e.g. anything "special" from the language school, or is the ED visa stamp in my passport enough?

2) Cost of obtaining certificate?

3) Is it one of those things you need to get to the immigration at 6.00 am to queue for a ticket in order to get processed the same day?

Thanks for any info,

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

need a photo too!

and passport copies...

wave the 500 baht and you'll be taken care quickly,

as the money goes under the table...teamoney...

no receipt!

(as it is free in other immigr.offices..)

Many thanks for the photo + passport info. That's saved me a wasted trip :)

I'll mount the 500B on a flag-pole, and wave it enthusiastically inside the building. That should I ensure I get early "treatment" ;-)

Hi I did one Wednesday you need tw photos copy of your lease , or book whichever fill out the form I has told to give it to the center window this was at 10:3o am was told to come back at 4 pm pick it up . Came back at 4 picked it up gave them 500 baht and I did not get a reciept either ..........

The list of requirements gets longer ..... but all good.

1) Photocopy of passport (I'll take two just in case)

2) Two photocopies of lease agreement

3) Passport photo

4) 500B

5) Get their relatively early if I want to pick up same day

Feel free to add anything else if I'm missing something.

Thanks again all

Hi I did one Wednesday you need tw photos copy of your lease , or book whichever fill out the form I has told to give it to the center window this was at 10:3o am was told to come back at 4 pm pick it up . Came back at 4 picked it up gave them 500 baht and I did not get a reciept either ..........

I wonder how much they have collected over the years?.........bless em.

need a photo too!

and passport copies...

no receipt!

What would this cost at the U. S. Consulate? And appointment needed, (made on-line)?....or just walk in?

need a photo too!

and passport copies...

no receipt!

What would this cost at the U. S. Consulate? And appointment needed, (made on-line)?....or just walk in?

I think they can only get an affidavit of you swearing your a resident. Not a certification. not sure of the price but I think its 50 USD for any notary document.

Not sure the motor vehicle people would accept that.... how will their buddies get their easy money?

http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/service/notarial.html

need a photo too!

and passport copies...

no receipt!

I think they can only get an affidavit of you swearing your a resident. Not a certification. not sure of the price but I think its 50 USD for any notary document.

Not sure the motor vehicle people would accept that.... how will their buddies get their easy money?

http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/service/notarial.html

Yes that is correct $50 USD

which is 1450 baht

You can also pay in baht but it will be 1600 for some strange reason?

I have bought 3 from them already

Used my US credit card billed in USD

Yes everyone accepts them

Whether buying a vehicle, selling or getting drivers license all accepted

You do need an appointment but you can make it the day before usually

as they always have room. Easy & quick

No proof etc needed.

Show passport raise hand swear what you wrote is true $50 all done.

Think I'll stick to the 1/3 price method, especially as I'm a Brit smile.png

Do not know if Brits can get one at the consulate?

The 1/3 price deal is true depending on how you like

visiting the zoo. Has its good days & bad I hear wink.png

Eventually I am thinking of buying a Yellow book

& not needing the certificates any longer

Edited by mania

Yeah the ต.ม. (immigration) is a bit of a shock the first time you go there. But its next to Central Plaza so I can always relax after visiting in the morning before picking the residency certificate up in the afternoon.

I don't even know where the British Consulate is ..... it does exist right? Its the sort of service you might expect us Brits not to provide anyway and if we did it would double price of US service, but who knows .........

I'm doing 3 years of education visa so that's probably 12 visits to immigration - might as well get used to visiting the zoo.

Edited by pete66
  • Like 1

You know I am amazed by what a bunch of quivering idiots we are in Chiang Mai. Over the years I have needed residence certificates for various things. But never before in Chiang Mai. And there never was a charge. Last year I needed a certificate for my driving license in Chiang Mai. So off we went to immigration gave them the required documents and they asked for 500 bahts. Now my Thai wife who is usually a mouse blew up at the demand for 500 bahts. She started screaming at them saying they were stealing money from farangs. This went on for several minutes until finally a man from an office came out. Long story short we got the certificate...Zero bahts.

• Like 1

You know I am amazed by what a bunch of quivering idiots we are in Chiang Mai. Over the years I have needed residence certificates for various things. But never before in Chiang Mai. And there never was a charge. Last year I needed a certificate for my driving license in Chiang Mai. So off we went to immigration gave them the required documents and they asked for 500 bahts. Now my Thai wife who is usually a mouse blew up at the demand for 500 bahts. She started screaming at them saying they were stealing money from farangs. This went on for several minutes until finally a man from an office came out. Long story short we got the certificate...Zero bahts.

To be honest, I don't really care about the 500b. I'm taking their resources up so I expect to pay a fee. The US consulate charges 3x as much. Should people scream 3x louder at them?

And sure its tea money, not an "official fee". But how much of official fees gets back to where it is supposed to anyway? Not all of it, I can guarantee you that.

I don't possess a screaming Thai wife so I'll guess I pay the fee. They don't look took kindly on screaming farangs in my experience.

• Like 1

Truly amazing and forgive me if I think the more likely scenario would be, immigration tearing the certificate up and telling you to go to your consulate.

Have I understood wrong or can't you also get this certificate from your nearest police station?

I guess it's about time I got myself a Thai DL too...

I think I'll go ask in Mae Taeng next week. I don't have a formal lease but the landlord is an ex bib so I'm guessing he should know the guys in the station, I'll take him with...

I think you just need a signed lease for your rental from landlord or yellow book if you own a house.

I think about 500 baht

It's pretty quick process. go to the desk on the far right.

desk is first one on the left,isnt it.??

Haha... Confusion... I was thinking "far right" was wrong too - isn't that for 90 day reporting and such? But isn't far left just the extensions desk?

I always thought the address certificate applications got handed in at the middle desk...

Oh, one more thing. If you want a car and a bike license you'll need two certificates. Depending on the transport office some of them will take a photocopy some won't (not from experience - just from the many conflicting posts I've read on the subject).

Oh, one more thing. If you want a car and a bike license you'll need two certificates. Depending on the transport office some of them will take a photocopy some won't (not from experience - just from the many conflicting posts I've read on the subject).

Oh right ... would two cost me 1000B? .... I'm now thinking marrying a screaming Thai girl might be the cheaper option.

No you only need one if applying for two licenses at the same time

I recently did both car & bike license & while I had two in case

the lady at the front desk who preps papers said they only needed one & would make a copy for the bike license since all your records

are kept together. They can see the original also in your file.

If applying for just one license of course you need an original though.

No you only need one if applying for two licenses at the same time

I recently did both car & bike license & while I had two in case

the lady at the front desk who preps papers said they only needed one & would make a copy for the bike license since all your records

are kept together. They can see the original also in your file.

If applying for just one license of course you need an original though.

And so it begins, which is why I mentioned 'conflicting posts'.

I think the rule of thumb is, if you have two originals they'd have accepted one, and if you have one original they'll insist on two.

tongue.png