Raring 13.04

gpdjohn

I've been running Ubuntu's latest Raring Ringtail 13.04 daily iso for the last few days now and find it quick and so far stable.

Loaded it up on a old HP nc6220 and so far no troubles.

Overall, this noob is pleased.

rsI have been runnig it for about a month.

It was not my intention to jump to it so early but circumstances decided otherwise.

My only comments is that since about a week ago my Bumblebee (Intel / Nvidia Video Laptop drivers) and Vmware have stopped working, otherwise it is fine)

Edited by thaimite

I was going to wait until next month on the release date, but the "distro hopper" addiction kicked in and I couldn't help myself.

I've been updating at least twice per day and the only problem I've had is with the "my-weather-indicator", which I have since removed.

It's allot "quicker" on this old box compared to 12.04.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer the Mint variant of Ubuntu and that's normally a couple of months behind the Ubuntu release. I was impressed with the kernel performance improvements between 12.04 and 12.10, so I am looking forward to the next one!

Mint is my main os and even my Thai wife prefers Linux over Windows (she was a convert over 2 years ago).

I can't get my wife to touch it other than to shut it off at the end of the day. Not familiar is the response I get..

Anyway,

Seems to be running stable and smooth. This morning was my first glitch as the software updater kept telling me to check my internet connection.

I do like it so far.

The distrohopper disease is kicking in again though...maybe I'm going to load up the newest OPENsuse into a VM and get my fix.

I want to try Crunch# but feel I'm just not ready for that as of yet....

• Like 1

Was gonna comment until i realised i use virtualbox on mint not vmware..

So all the positive reviews, did any of you know gnome 2.0 or where you unity converts already?

Personally i find unity very mobile friendly but horrible for serious power users... but when they crack it will give it a shot. Was interested in the HUD but not sure if it made it yet or not.

• Like 1

Tried unity for a few weeks, can't stand it. As you said doesn't appeal to power users, but I definitely see why people enjoy it. It's easy to use and not intimidating. Most of the time when I revive a old machine for people I just throw Ubuntu on there and first time users have no issues navigating and using unity.

• 1 month later...

I decided to upgrade now as it has aged a bit. Using kubuntu.

I'll try first to do an upgrade on top of 12.04 LTS. This way I get all the packages downloaded to apt-cacher-ng, so later on if I decide to do an fresh install, I still have all the packages locally.

I have plenty of applications which are not part of the fresh installation package. Is there a way to create a list of the installed applications, do a fresh installation and then include automatically all the applications I had installed earlier?

I'll try first to do an upgrade on top of 12.04 LTS. This way I get all the packages downloaded to apt-cacher-ng, so later on if I decide to do an fresh install, I still have all the packages locally.

I have plenty of applications which are not part of the fresh installation package. Is there a way to create a list of the installed applications, do a fresh installation and then include automatically all the applications I had installed earlier?

maybe there's something more suitable but this should work:

on old install:

$ dpkg --get-selections | cut -f1 -s > old.txt

keep the old.txt file safe somewhere.

on new install:

$ dpkg --get-selections | cut -f1 -s > new.txt

# apt-get install $(diff -y --suppress-common-lines old.txt new.txt | cut -f1 -s)

Thanks urandom, I'll try that one to take the package information to safe place.

At the moment upgrade from 12.04 -> 12.10 -> 13.04 seemed to work very well. Somehow the laptop seems to work with less CPU load (also powertop shows that battery life is better).

• 2 weeks later...

After a week of usage.

I'm still pretty much pleased for the upgrade. There has however been some problems.

1) Every now and then Thunderbird freezes. I have not figure out why, but this has been reported before so I suppose there will be fix at some point.

2) Laptop does not shutdown. The shutdown procedure waits for the processes to be killed gracefully, but it never seems to happen. Maybe I just expect it to happen too fast, but I kind of get used to 30 second reboot cycle. Normally I just put the laptop to sleep, therefore it's not a huge problem.

3) Lightdm does not seem to have an option to login automatically and then lock the screen.

Now the options are either not to do automatic login or do automatic login with access to the data.

Thi is what I really miss on previous version of Kubuntu.

maybe there's something more suitable but this should work:

on old install:

$ dpkg --get-selections | cut -f1 -s > old.txt

keep the old.txt file safe somewhere.

on new install:

$ dpkg --get-selections | cut -f1 -s > new.txt

# apt-get install $(diff -y --suppress-common-lines old.txt new.txt | cut -f1 -s)

I feel this is better:

Export:

dpkg --get-selections > my_file

(Don't forget etc/apt/sources.list if you've added repos - export both with a cron and include in your regular backups IMO)

Import:

dpkg --set-selections < my_file

Install:

apt-get update

apt-get dselect-upgrade

Thanks. I disabled the quiet splash and will check it out with next reboot.

I was kind of hoping that the issue would resolve itself after few updates, I'm lazy when it comes to non essential problems :)

I normally shutdown and reboot the computer from the command line as root, not using menus to do it.

Pretty often I just reboot after some upgrades, very rarely shutdown the system (sleep is better when moving computer around).

• 3 weeks later...