Shafted.. ?

skippybangkok

I think I got shafted by SPF ? I installed SPF as per the lower thread ( thanks for the post any way ..appreciated )....... and happily used it for about a week, no problems.

Then all of a sudden at work today, my computer crashed with the little blue screens saying something to the effect of seruious error. Thought it was strange as my laptop is brand new ( HP PAvillion 1348 I think ) and the software / hardware is new ).

After many more crashes and no being able to enter the LAN at work, I was at wits end. Came home, and same story - hang / connect for 3 mins and after that get "error messages " and cant access web again.

Well, I wasted the majority of the afternoon trying firgure out what was wrong, and then finally I chose to un-install SPF.

So...here come the questions

1. Why did it work perfectly for one week, and then display this behaviour. By the way, I have changed nothing, and both at home and at work I have a private ADSL line through a WiFi router ( private ) ( besides the work LAN )

2. The only time I have ever seen my previous laptop crash like that was without a firewall ( I think hackers came in somehow and crashed my system

Now that I un-installed.......things are back to normal.

Back on windows firewall as some recommended ( I know I am stubborn ), but I am back to square one in not knowing what outbound packets my system sends ( i.e. i just found out that Skype sends out bound packets even though I do not allow it to auto load ).

Cheers.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...57entry670557

firewall of linksys cisco sistem router wga54g plus sygate pro

this is the only server that you can fins again sygate freeware

http://207.33.111.31/spf/spf5.5b2710.exe wink.gif

Edited by skippybangkok

I think I got shafted by SPF ? I installed SPF as per the lower thread ( thanks for the post any way ..appreciated )....... and happily used it for about a week, no problems.

Then all of a sudden at work today, my computer crashed with the little blue screens saying something to the effect of seruious error. Thought it was strange as my laptop is brand new ( HP PAvillion 1348 I think ) and the software / hardware is new ).

After many more crashes and no being able to enter the LAN at work, I was at wits end. Came home, and same story - hang / connect for 3 mins and after that get "error messages " and cant access web again.

Well, I wasted the majority of the afternoon trying firgure out what was wrong, and then finally I chose to un-install SPF.

So...here come the questions

1. Why did it work perfectly for one week, and then display this behaviour. By the way, I have changed nothing, and both at home and at work I have a private ADSL line through a WiFi router ( private ) ( besides the work LAN )

2. The only time I have ever seen my previous laptop crash like that was without a firewall ( I think hackers came in somehow and crashed my system

Now that I un-installed.......things are back to normal.

Back on windows firewall as some recommended ( I know I am stubborn ), but I am back to square one in not knowing what outbound packets my system sends ( i.e. i just found out that Skype sends out bound packets even though I do not allow it to auto load ).

Cheers.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...533;entry670557

firewall of linksys cisco sistem router wga54g plus sygate pro

this is the only server that you can fins again sygate freeware

http://207.33.111.31/spf/spf5.5b2710.exe wink.gif

spf is sygate?if yes you use i hope build 2710 version 5.5

use a router?what isp?how many pc you connect in your lan?

Yes, Sygate.

Stand alone on my laptop, WiFi rounter from D-link at home, and in the office the Billion / ASTRA which came in the package from True.

What amazed me is that it worked perfectly for 1 week, and then all of a sudden it crashed my computer ( you know them blue screens ) and would let me access the net for 3 mins before my connection kinda went dead ( stil connected, but no traffic ).

Did they flick a switch on Sygate side to make me stop using it ?

I did a new install of 2kpro on my 733 box and I thought I would try out the SPF on it - so far it has not been a problem - it will get a bit more of a workout next week as it is school holidays and thats the box set aside for children to fux up :o

uninstall your versione and download version 5.5 build 2710

clear your pc from anyfile about sygate and also legacy key in regedit

this is the guide for configure sygate in pdf

http://www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide_IT.html

don't forget that disable windows xp firewall

this is the procedure for make full cleaning in the regedit about sygate,before install the new version

To ensure you have a clean uninstall of SPF. After you have run the uninstaller from Add/Remove Programs and rebooted, scan for possible left over entries from a corrupt install/uninstall. This FAQ is based on SPF versions that are 5.5 2637 or later. Some earlier versions will only use the WG3N entry, instead of the multiple WGxN entries. Many of these entries you may not find if the uninstaller has worked correctly. These steps will help in the manual removal of Sygate.

1. Remove the Folder and Files in which SPF was installed to.

The default path is C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF Delete all files and subfolders of "\Sygate".

2. Remove the registry entries created for loading up the drivers.

You can use “regedit.exe” to delete these keys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SmcService

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\teefer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wg3n

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wg4n

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wg5n

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wg6n

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wpsdrvnt

(*Win9X/ME Only) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wpsdrv9x

For the following set of keys you will need to use the version of regedit that allows the changing of permissions the key.

These are keys that will need to be removed.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_SMCSERVICE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_TEEFER

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_WG3N

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_WG4N

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_WG5N

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_WG6N

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_WPSDRVNT

(*Win9X/ME Only) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_WPSDRV9X

For WinXP and above you can use “regedit.exe”

Right click on a key that needs deleting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_SMCSERVICE > Permission… > select “Everyone” under Allow check the box for Full Control then click on apply and ok.

You should now be able to delete the key, do the following again to remove any other keys.

For Win2K and below you will need to use “regedt32.exe”

Select the window “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on Local Machine”.

Find a key that needs deleting and select it SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_SMCSERVICE Go to the tool bar and click on Security then Permission… > select “Everyone” under Allow check the box for Full Control then click on apply and ok.

You should now be able to delete the key, do the following again to remove any other keys.

3. Remove any of the driver files and dll files from the System path.

These files are hidden from the default settings of Windows Explorer. You will need to enable Windows Explorer to view these files. From Windows Explorer, click Tools -> Folder Options. Select View and Enable Show hidden files and folders. Uncheck Hide protected operating system files. Apply and Click OK.

The files will be located in the “\system32\drivers” of your Windows install path.

XP/Win2K3 this should be “C:\WINDOWS” Win2K/NT should be “C:\WINNT”

Example - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

Remove the following files.

wpsdrvnt.sys

wg3n.sys

wg4n.sys

wg5n.sys

wg6n.sys

teefer.sys

These other files will be located in the "\system32" folder.

SetAid.dll

FwsVpn.dll

SSSensor.dll

Win9X/ME uses just the “\system” folder. The default Windows install path should be “C:\WINDOWS”

Example - C:\WINDOWS\system

Remove the following files.

TEEFER.VXD

WG3N.VXD

WG4N.VXD

WG5N.VXD

WG6N.VXD

WPSDRV9X.VXD

SetAid.dll

FwsVpn.dll

SSSensor.dll

4. Check for remaining registry entries that could be left over.

The Run section, remove any Key that reflects the startup of SMC.EXE SMCService.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sygate Technologies, Inc.

The Windows Installer MSI may also leave its registry entry. This key is based on what version of Sygate you installed. After the "\Uninstall\" you will see the ProductCode number only. Remove the ProductCode Key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

Example - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{F34D9A5F-484A-4E31-A9D3-908CB265B289}

ProductCode {3D133CD6-EBDF-4C14-BBB9-5D3AE0BD7C58}

ProductName Sygate Personal Firewall Pro

ProductVersion 5.6.3311 (Beta)

ProductCode {3142833E-56C8-46EB-85FE-ECD5BD1126E6}

ProductVersion 5.6.2818 (Beta)

ProductCode {F34D9A5F-484A-4E31-A9D3-908CB265B289}

ProductName Sygate Personal Firewall

ProductVersion 5.6.2808

ProductCode {BF448A52-C83E-455D-B5D3-FD9E964C9419}

ProductVersion 5.5.2710

ProductCode {DE187864-A381-4602-8823-1024D4CE4370}

ProductVersion 5.5.2710

ProductCode {91C69142-2158-4B46-AC85-FEC80CAE973D}

ProductVersion 5.5.2637

ProductCode {59BCEEEC-3C0F-4A02-80FC-0B8A6E26B31F}

ProductVersion 5.5.2637

5. Reboot.

Waow ! ... guess that looks like something for the week end

Cheers

hi'

or use TuneUp utilities, the registry cleaner will do it for you :o

francois

off course,tuneup utilities,regseeker,crapcleaner or regcleaner is good,but some keys cannot remove without your hand,like a legacy key that need your full permission for removal,all legacy key need this method and anysoftware cleaner cannot remove legacy key because need special permission :D

i post the method for clean the registry about sygate for all system microsoft,off course if you running xp the key is only 10-15

Edited by giulio