Don't Live In Thai Anymore, Can I Still Apply For A Driverlicense ?

rubberduck

Cuz I'm visiting Thai frequently and drivinglicense is good to avoid racistic double pricing at temples and parks. I hate quarrels with brainwashed rip-off assho1es.

Send from Thai Visa app on my modified Nokia 3310

Don't you think that locals, who pay tax, are entitled to a discount?

couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time I experienced the double-pricing thing was in CM, and I must say I was a bit peeved, until I remembered that the Gold Coast (Australia) theme parks also have a "locals only" special rate. If it upsets you, then don't go there.

• Like 1

OK here's one link. There's several more, all it takes is something called Google...

http://chiangmai.thaivisa.com/all-about-driving-in-chiang-mai/

The list of documents in this web page is more or less correct:

- proof of residence (which you can get from immigration in Chiang Mai for 500 baht with a letter from your landlord; or you can get it from your consulate or embassy but in most cases that would be more hassle)

- doctors cert (couple hundred baht or so, essentially walk-in walk-out at most hospitals or doctors offices. They ask a few questions and five minutes later you have the piece of paper.

- passport with valid visa (any visa including tourist).

- work permit that is mentioned in the article is not required, at least not when I went there and I got it on a tourist visa.

- Bring your country of origin license as you don't have to sit tests for the parts that are covered by it far as I know (like if you have a car license you can get a car license without the tests, but for the motorbike license, if you don't have that, you need to sit the tests).

- Photo is not required because they take it onsite.

This is the procedure in Chiang Mai. Every location is different, however if you try this in rural locations you will most likely not be able to get a DL with a tourist visa.

Good luck smile.png

OK here's one link. There's several more, all it takes is something called Google...

http://chiangmai.thaivisa.com/all-about-driving-in-chiang-mai/

The list of documents in this web page is more or less correct:

- proof of residence (which you can get from immigration in Chiang Mai for 500 baht with a letter from your landlord; or you can get it from your consulate or embassy but in most cases that would be more hassle)

- doctors cert (couple hundred baht or so, essentially walk-in walk-out at most hospitals or doctors offices. They ask a few questions and five minutes later you have the piece of paper.

- passport with valid visa (any visa including tourist).

- work permit that is mentioned in the article is not required, at least not when I went there and I got it on a tourist visa.

- Bring your country of origin license as you don't have to sit tests for the parts that are covered by it far as I know (like if you have a car license you can get a car license without the tests, but for the motorbike license, if you don't have that, you need to sit the tests).

- Photo is not required because they take it onsite.

This is the procedure in Chiang Mai. Every location is different, however if you try this in rural locations you will most likely not be able to get a DL with a tourist visa.

Good luck smile.png

Regarding proof of address:

The UK Consul said I needed a letter from them for proof and charged me 2,750 Baht - what a rip off. The Immigration route is only 500 Baht.

Up you as they say.

The DL's cost 300 Baht each, one for car, another for the m/c.

Both good for 1 year, I have a retirement visa.

At the next renewal I shall have a retirement visa extension and this will qualify me for the DL's to remain valid for 5 years. It seems that if I'd had two 1 year visas (at least) I would have had validity for 5 years first time, rather than the 1 year. wai2.gif

3. RE: driving licenses. An International drivers license is $20 in the US, probably comparable in many other countries, requires no test in most places, just the proof that you have an existing license in the country of your domicile. Just get one. It's easier. It's completely legit for insurance purposes. You don't need a Thai license unless you want something to show off at a bar. Which, I'll admit, is fun.

No..not quite dear boy....if some claims residency and is in Thailand for a period of more than 90 days an IDP is not valid , one requires a Thai DL, further legimate IDP's are valid for a period of 12 months only, the 10 year varities are not "legal" and neither are the "NATO" varities advertised on-line.

An IDP doesnt require a test..cos its not a license, mearly a legalised translation of a current and valid DL.

My advice, if your living here and claiming "residency" get a Thai DL, not hard or expensive..typically the only reason people dont get them is that they cant be a*sed

• Like 1

Johnniey, on 01 Apr 2013 - 10:05, said:Mudcrab, on 01 Apr 2013 - 09:59, said:

So the OP no longer qualifies for a UK license. Too many points? Suspended? Banned?

And the OP has left Thailand for Cambodia where everything is easier... except driving licenses (obviously) but misses the Thai temples and national parks sooooo much....?

A UK license is no good for driving here.

actually it is for a period time, but after which you are suppose to be on a Thai one..certainly if you claim "residency" in Thailand

3 months I thinkAnd your insurance will NOT pay.

Imagine if you kill someone.Who says insurance will not pay? I have never had a Thai license(lived in Thailand 13 years). Easier to get my international DL every year when I go home for Christmas. I have had a few minor scraps with my car, fixed no problem. I had one major accident and again no issue (car is in my GF's name). The insurance company came to the accident, asked me who owned the car, told them. Gave them a copy of my international DL and they towed the car, repaired it with no issues at all. Police were great, no ticket no issues at all. However you do need to have good insurance one that it's covered with anyone driving it, not the cheap cheap insurance.

I never mentioned an international license.

Why the aversion to getting a Thai one - they last 5 years. Good for many things.

If you are happy being a 13 year tourist then up to you.

Don't you want a car in your name ?

At the next renewal I shall have a retirement visa extension and this will qualify me for the DL's to remain valid for 5 years. It seems that if I'd had two 1 year visas (at least) I would have had validity for 5 years first time, rather than the 1 year. wai2.gif

I'm not 100% sure but I think every first licence that they issue is only for one year. Then on renewal, if you have the correct visa they will give you the 5 year.

• Like 2

I'm not 100% sure but I think every first licence that they issue is only for one year. Then on renewal, if you have the correct visa they will give you the 5 year.

My last one I got 6 years - maybe they made a mistake.

6 years is possible based on your birthday versus date of renewal, my latest 5 year one is the same..nearly 6 years Edited by Soutpeel

So the OP wants to illegally obtain a driving licence so he can claim discounts he is not entitled to. What a shame if you were caught and fined.

Are you drunk ? Im not talking about illegal.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The first time I experienced the double-pricing thing was in CM, and I must say I was a bit peeved, until I remembered that the Gold Coast (Australia) theme parks also have a "locals only" special rate. If it upsets you, then don't go there.

All a question of attitude. Some think positive some negative. Do I pay the full price or do they pay a discounted price? It was all fear based when I used to complain - can't have them Thais getting the better of almighty me. Self-import BS.

There are golf courses near me that give locals a discount - it's normal and the rich Americans that come don't seem to mind paying 10,000 baht for the green fees. I doubt if they are on an internet forum complaining about Scottish double pricing.

Very near my parents house there's a new golf course built by Donald Trump, I wonder if he'll give Americans a discount? I feel the same way about this guy meddling in Scottish politics as many Thais feel about foreigners meddling with their affairs. It's natural.

Don't you want a car in your name ?Actually you can have a car in your own name and not have a driving license..

But you could not drive it so whats the point?!!

ah think about it...one suspects there there are large numbersof teeraks in Thailand who can neither drive a car or have license, but not the less they have car in their own name and its their buffolo's that drive them..tongue.png

my point is...you can legally register a car in someones name even if they dont have a license

So the OP no longer qualifies for a UK license. Too many points? Suspended? Banned?

And the OP has left Thailand for Cambodia where everything is easier... except driving licenses (obviously) but misses the Thai temples and national parks sooooo much....?

UK ? Points ? Suspended ? Cambodia ? Wot?? Lol guess this must be just a typical case of getting lost inbetween all those confusing topics and ended up with the wrong answer in the wrong topic.

No I don't miss the temples and parks, but maybe I still have a car and motorbike in Thai and taking my Asian gf/frds around sometimes. Eventually I could just rent a room just for storing my sh1t and use the address for obtaining d license.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rubberduck

1. A Thai driver's license is not that hard to get. I showed up with a bunch of stuff, med cert, proof of address....they really just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to do anything illegal. I even subtly offered the flowin' of the green, (or pink, in this case) and she grinned and waved me off (!!). Then, I took the most ridiculously easy tests to show I know left from right or green from red or something....at any rate, I'm in. Now I just have to go renew. I only did it because I was here full time (now just 6 months out of the year) and I drive here often.

2. Avoiding paying for what? If you're a farang, you're a farang! I mean, maybe it's different for me cuz I'm pasty white, 6'7" (2 meters) tall and can't really hide who I am. I don't like the notion of being gouged because I'm farang, but then I have to remember that the guy who lives across the street from me only gets a minimum wage of about $10US a day. Which, I think, entitles him to a cheaper entry fee to something that pro'ly oughta be free for him anyway. Y'all act like this place is rolling in dough, but I go to Boonthavorn to look at a kitchen sink, there are 30 people running around working and no customers. I honestly don't know how the place stays afloat, but I don't push, I don't judge....besides, if you have friends here and you go places with them...there are ways. But if somebody gives you a mildly stern look and waves their hand, throw 300 baht into the pot. It's only polite. For cryin' out loud, these people have the right to make something off of what they have. It's not like the middle class here are any better off than any of us starving louts anywhere else.

3. RE: driving licenses. An International drivers license is $20 in the US, probably comparable in many other countries, requires no test in most places, just the proof that you have an existing license in the country of your domicile. Just get one. It's easier. It's completely legit for insurance purposes. You don't need a Thai license unless you want something to show off at a bar. Which, I'll admit, is fun.

a little tip! the medical certificate must not be more than 7 days old! i had to go back to my doctor to get another one!

Cuz I'm visiting Thai frequently and drivinglicense is good to avoid racistic double pricing at temples and parks. I hate quarrels with brainwashed rip-off assho1es.

in your dreams, no matter if you have a Thai drivers license or not, it will not affect the double pricing! face it you are a foreigner! pay up or leabve!

in your dreams, no matter if you have a Thai drivers license or not, it will not affect the double pricing! face it you are a foreigner! pay up or leabve!

Actually it does matter in certain places other not...but must say havent heard the other bit of your post in a while..."if you dont like it leave"..thats orignal...did you come up with this all by yourself... very impressed

How about the other way around,can I drive in the UK using a Thai d/l, why I ask this is that the UK goverment are asking for ( I think) £25 to put a new photograph on my licences.I am only in the UK for a couple of months and don't realy want to pay it to them.

6 years is possible based on your birthday versus date of renewal, my latest 5 year one is the same..nearly 6 years

Did you both have to have a one year licence first and then renew to your 5+ year one?

How about the other way around,can I drive in the UK using a Thai d/l, why I ask this is that the UK goverment are asking for ( I think) £25 to put a new photograph on my licences.I am only in the UK for a couple of months and don't realy want to pay it to them.

If you have a valid UK license, your not suppose to drive on another license, but if dont have one, you can drive on a Thai one, if CC type, with out IDP for upto 12 months

Quite true (100%) as I just did it today.

Johnniey, on 01 Apr 2013 - 10:05, said:Mudcrab, on 01 Apr 2013 - 09:59, said:

A UK license is no good for driving here.

actually it is for a period time, but after which you are suppose to be on a Thai one..certainly if you claim "residency" in Thailand

3 months I thinkAnd your insurance will NOT pay.

Imagine if you kill someone.Who says insurance will not pay? I have never had a Thai license(lived in Thailand 13 years). Easier to get my international DL every year when I go home for Christmas. I have had a few minor scraps with my car, fixed no problem. I had one major accident and again no issue (car is in my GF's name). The insurance company came to the accident, asked me who owned the car, told them. Gave them a copy of my international DL and they towed the car, repaired it with no issues at all. Police were great, no ticket no issues at all. However you do need to have good insurance one that it's covered with anyone driving it, not the cheap cheap insurance.

I never mentioned an international license.

Why the aversion to getting a Thai one - they last 5 years. Good for many things.

If you are happy being a 13 year tourist then up to you.

Don't you want a car in your name ?

I can have the car in my name if I want, but I don't need or want to as we are building credit for my GF. Where do you get I'm a tourist, having or not having a Thai DL has nothing to do with a person being a tourist of not. It all has to do with your visa, which I have a "B" and work permit. Why do I need a Thai DL. I travel allot and need an international so I can drive in other countries so getting a new IDL every year works fine, no need to have a Thai DL. You said a Thai DL provides so many more benefits, can you explain all these benefits it provides?

Johnniey, on 01 Apr 2013 - 10:05, said:Mudcrab, on 01 Apr 2013 - 09:59, said:So the OP no longer qualifies for a UK license. Too many points? Suspended? Banned?And the OP has left Thailand for Cambodia where everything is easier... except driving licenses (obviously) but misses the Thai temples and national parks sooooo much....?A UK license is no good for driving here.actually it is for a period time, but after which you are suppose to be on a Thai one..certainly if you claim "residency" in Thailand3 months I thinkAnd your insurance will NOT pay.Imagine if you kill someone.Who says insurance will not pay? I have never had a Thai license(lived in Thailand 13 years). Easier to get my international DL every year when I go home for Christmas. I have had a few minor scraps with my car, fixed no problem. I had one major accident and again no issue (car is in my GF's name). The insurance company came to the accident, asked me who owned the car, told them. Gave them a copy of my international DL and they towed the car, repaired it with no issues at all. Police were great, no ticket no issues at all. However you do need to have good insurance one that it's covered with anyone driving it, not the cheap cheap insurance.I never mentioned an international license.Why the aversion to getting a Thai one - they last 5 years. Good for many things.If you are happy being a 13 year tourist then up to you.Don't you want a car in your name ?I can have the car in my name if I want, but I don't need or want to as we are building credit for my GF. Where do you get I'm a tourist, having or not having a Thai DL has nothing to do with a person being a tourist of not. It all has to do with your visa, which I have a "B" and work permit. Why do I need a Thai DL. I travel allot and need an international so I can drive in other countries so getting a new IDL every year works fine, no need to have a Thai DL. You said a Thai DL provides so many more benefits, can you explain all these benefits it provides?

I don't carry my passport when travelling in Thailand, DL is enough to show hotels. Getting into national parks for discounted price.

Driving a car in my name. Getting VIP cards at home pro and other stores. More that I can't remember right now.

Johnniey, on 01 Apr 2013 - 10:05, said:Mudcrab, on 01 Apr 2013 - 09:59, said:So the OP no longer qualifies for a UK license. Too many points? Suspended? Banned?And the OP has left Thailand for Cambodia where everything is easier... except driving licenses (obviously) but misses the Thai temples and national parks sooooo much....?A UK license is no good for driving here.actually it is for a period time, but after which you are suppose to be on a Thai one..certainly if you claim "residency" in Thailand3 months I thinkAnd your insurance will NOT pay.Imagine if you kill someone.Who says insurance will not pay? I have never had a Thai license(lived in Thailand 13 years). Easier to get my international DL every year when I go home for Christmas. I have had a few minor scraps with my car, fixed no problem. I had one major accident and again no issue (car is in my GF's name). The insurance company came to the accident, asked me who owned the car, told them. Gave them a copy of my international DL and they towed the car, repaired it with no issues at all. Police were great, no ticket no issues at all. However you do need to have good insurance one that it's covered with anyone driving it, not the cheap cheap insurance.I never mentioned an international license.Why the aversion to getting a Thai one - they last 5 years. Good for many things.If you are happy being a 13 year tourist then up to you.Don't you want a car in your name ?I can have the car in my name if I want, but I don't need or want to as we are building credit for my GF. Where do you get I'm a tourist, having or not having a Thai DL has nothing to do with a person being a tourist of not. It all has to do with your visa, which I have a "B" and work permit. Why do I need a Thai DL. I travel allot and need an international so I can drive in other countries so getting a new IDL every year works fine, no need to have a Thai DL. You said a Thai DL provides so many more benefits, can you explain all these benefits it provides?

I don't carry my passport when travelling in Thailand, DL is enough to show hotels. Getting into national parks for discounted price.

Driving a car in my name. Getting VIP cards at home pro and other stores. More that I can't remember right now.

Law says you should have you passport with you at all times, so really you should be carrying it with you when you travel in Thailand. I can have the car in my name, has nothing to do with having a license. discount for a park I'm not worried about paying 100B or 150B for a park as that is still a cheap price. VIP cards I already have, didn't need a Thai DL to get them.

Interesting I completed my 1 year licence, got my five year licence, lost it somewhere? tried to renew, was told I have to go to immigration

Thai Woman with power looked me up and down and said I could not have a licence for 5 years, went and seen the local higher officials, have my licence, but have to do it all again in October. I feel I want to complain about the Woman from Immigration as she rang the Road and Traffic department and told them not to give me a licence. Since when do Immigration have any thing to do with a Driving Licence?

Interesting I completed my 1 year licence, got my five year licence, lost it somewhere? tried to renew, was told I have to go to immigration

Thai Woman with power looked me up and down and said I could not have a licence for 5 years, went and seen the local higher officials, have my licence, but have to do it all again in October. I feel I want to complain about the Woman from Immigration as she rang the Road and Traffic department and told them not to give me a licence. Since when do Immigration have any thing to do with a Driving Licence?

Wow! To my knowledge, other than providing the confirmation of residence the Immigration Dept. doesn't have anything to do with Drivers License. Sounds like someone was having a real bad hair day.

Edited by Dap