No Brownout Or Blackout On April 5: E G A T

webfact

ELECTRICITY
No brownout or blackout: EGAT

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Expecting the new power peak of 26,600 megawatt on April 5, the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand reassured the public that there will be no power brownout or blackout on the day.

Expecting the new power peak of 26,600 megawatt on April 5, the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand reassured the public that there will be no power brownout or blackout on the day.

Egat Spokesman Pongdit Potejana said that thanks to cooperation from the public sector and the industrial sector, power reserve on the day would be about 1,660MW. Reserve during April 9-10 would then be about 1,400MW.

"The reserve is sufficient and the public need not to be worried over a brownout or blackout, following the natural gas supply disruption during the period," he said.

Earlier, Egat expected the power usage to peak at 27,000 on the day, when temperature is expected to be the highest this year. Some industrial plants will be closed on the day including Toyota Motor Thailand’s 3 plants, to help boost the reserve.

As the supply of natural gas from the Yadana gas field in Myanmar will be cut off during the period for annual maintenance, six power plants in Thailand depending on the supply will be affected. Some of them will switch from natural gas to diesel or bunker oil.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-03

If they post so many articles about no blackouts that means we going to have one,

That Pongsack dude looks so nasty treacherous, I'm afraid he's going to stab my back I mean everyone's back.

Edited by MaxLee
  • Like 1

Does that mean Egat officials are fasting until the 6th?

It just means Pongsack and his energy mafia dudes are just gonna white lie to everyone in Thailand and enjoy their private energy reserves, at our expenses....

And closing shopping malls one hour earlier won't do the trick, because its just a tiny small fraction, ...

Edited by MaxLee

Everything is FINE!

We have a whole 6.3% reserve!w00t.gif

(i used bold numbers to make it look bigger)

What could go wrong?blink.png

(please make the weather cooperate!)

But at least we know where we stand.

The prudent announcement would have been something like

"although we do have a small reserve, The reserve could easily be wiped out by weather and other variables. So we urge the public to conserve where possible, Turn off unused lights, turn your AC a couple degrees warmer, and use fans in place of AC where possible" bla bla bla.

What you DONT say is "we got a 6% reserve boys, grip it and rip it!"

Edited by jamhar

The likely problem is a fuel shortage. On the 5th there will not be a shortage as the main acts as a storage reservoir, but each day the pressure in the main will drop, so...............

It's like facing a 500km drive on a single tank, no petrol stations, and saying that the first 50km there will be no problems.

• Like 1

Oh good, now that I know we aren't going to have any brown/blackouts I can turn my AC down to 19 and let it run all day!!!

Went to Buriram a week ago and the night we were there a blackout occured for about 4 hours, my friends parents said this had been happing for a week. Hmmm, I wonder where they got that reserve from?!?

When the gas field comes back on-line, it will take some days to re-pressurise the main, and possibly longer as as user plants come back into service. If there is electricity supply problems, don't be surprised if they extend past the 15th.

On again, off again.......who knows what's going to happen......the authorities???....it's all guesswork....

Amazing, well not really, how this has gone from dire predictions and government warnings to conserve etc. to the usual Thai " all right on the night " attitude.

Does that mean Egat officials are fasting until the 6th?

It just means Pongsack and his energy mafia dudes are just gonna white lie to everyone in Thailand and enjoy their private energy reserves, at our expenses....

And closing shopping malls one hour earlier won't do the trick, because its just a tiny small fraction, ...

You sound like a Democrat from the states. "One cut won't make any difference, so don't cut." or "Don't cut that, I need it. Cut the things I don't need". Actually, there are a number of serious people trying to chip in, for your comfort. Shopping malls closing early, Toyota shutting its plants for three days, and others that did not know that they had to run their cutbacks through you first. Yes, you will keep your air conditioning, while not reducing anything, and others will still make your life more comforatable. What all the negative comments towards those that are trying to make a difference? How do you live your life that way?

So, 4 Apr, 1 hour and counting, no power (Mae Taman, Chiang Mai). Maybe a coincidence, or is it a sign of things to come? Hmmm...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

''Brownout.''

Is that not the colour of the male bovine solid waste fecal matter that is expended in times of need or stress ?

We've experienced around 4 short term power losses in the last seven days here in Surin, strangely enough though we had a fierce storm and no power was lost.

One wonders as to the actual honesty state of the officials involved with and along with the stability of the Thai National Grid system in times of stress..

• Like 1

So, 4 Apr, 1 hour and counting, no power (Mae Taman, Chiang Mai). Maybe a coincidence, or is it a sign of things to come? Hmmm...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Here in Kathu it's no power for 3 hours (& counting). This outage surely can't be to upgrade the network in order to provide a better, more reliable service as we had that last year, and the year before and the year before that and ....................................

Hi Guys, the time is 10am on the 5th of April and I've just experienced a 1 hour power cut in Sankhanpaeng, Chiang Mai.

I do know this affected the entire moo baan that I live in but I don't know if it was any wider spread than that.

And of course it could just be a coincidence.